+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - Do I need AOR or Nomination from OINP ?

sorutome

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Hey guys, my PGWP will expire in 2 months and I haven't got AOR from OINP yet. I think there should be many ppl in the same situation as me. In order to keep our status in Canada, I guess we need to apply for Bridging open work permit before August. I've called OINP office and they told me my application is at the last stage and I should be able to get AOR in 2-3 weeks(SHALL I BELIEVE THEM???? I sent my application in late January).

I got a few questions before we apply BOWP:

1. In order to apply for PGWP, do I need AOR or I need to wait for OINP's nomination or even EE's ITA? I am not sure which one counts as "a positive eligibility assessment on his or her application"

2. How many more days do I have to wait for OINP's nomination after I receive AOR?

3. "He or she has made an application for an open work permit." Does this mean I will need to APPLY for other work permit before I apply for BOWP?

4. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks and best of luck everybody!

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
sorutome said:
Hey guys, my PGWP will expire in 2 months and I haven't got AOR from OINP yet. I think there should be many ppl in the same situation as me. In order to keep our status in Canada, I guess we need to apply for Bridging open work permit before August. I've called OINP office and they told me my application is at the last stage and I should be able to get AOR in 2-3 weeks(I sent my application in January).

1. In order to apply for PGWP, do I need AOR or I need to wait for OINP's nomination or even EE's ITA? I am not sure which one counts as "a positive eligibility assessment on his or her application"
No. OINP AOR is not sufficient. You need actual Nomination letter.

2. How many more days do I have to wait for OINP's nomination after I receive AOR?
No specific time. Some people have been waiting for 3 months after AOR.

3. "He or she has made an application for an open work permit." Does this mean I will need to APPLY for other work permit before I apply for BOWP?
No. That means you should have open work permit to apply for BOWP which in your case is expiring in August

You may convince your employer for LMIA.

Not exactly what to want to hear but unfortunately this is the truth.
I hope for speedy AOR and nomination for you

Thanks and best of luck everybody.

Reactions: Adanac11

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
sorutome said:
Hey guys, my PGWP will expire in 2 months and I haven't got AOR from OINP yet. I think there should be many ppl in the same situation as me. In order to keep our status in Canada, I guess we need to apply for Bridging open work permit before August. I've called OINP office and they told me my application is at the last stage and I should be able to get AOR in 2-3 weeks(I sent my application in January).

AOR and even nomination is not enough. You need to apply for PR (submit PR application after getting ITA) and receive AOR. Only then you will be eligible for BOWP.
"He or she has made an application for an open work permit." means that you applied for BOWP as BOWP is not an automatic process.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
pfse said:
AOR and even nomination is not enough. You need to apply for PR (submit PR application after getting ITA) and receive AOR. Only then you will be eligible for BOWP.
"He or she has made an application for an open work permit." means that you applied for BOWP as BOWP is not an automatic process.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp

Nomination can be used to apply for BOWP. Scroll down to supporting documents and you may check.

Reactions: Adanac11

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
manidhatt said:

Nomination can be used to apply for BOWP. Scroll down to supporting documents and you may check.
There is nothing there saying that nomination alone (w/o PR application) can be used to apply for BOWP.

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
manidhatt said:

I have spoken to CIC multiple times about this - nomination alone will not get you the BOWP.
You have to HAVE an application for PR and passed one or two stages of the APR for the BOWP to be approved..

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
sorutome said:

Hey - I've spoken to CIC about this and done a ton of research as my PGWP is expiring in july 2016. Unfortunately - we won't be eligible for BOWP. It is my understanding that our best option is to switch to a visitor status while waiting for the AOR and eventually nomination from OINP.

sorutome

Star Member
May 17, 2016
butters1690 said:
Hey - I've spoken to CIC about this and done a ton of research as my PGWP is expiring in july 2016. Unfortunately - we won't be eligible for BOWP. It is my understanding that our best option is to switch to a visitor status while waiting for the AOR and eventually nomination from OINP.

Thanks a lot butters1690. I have a friend who is in the exact same situation as us. What he plans to do at the moment is that he would apply for BOWP only 3 days before his PGWP expires. And then his status will become "implied status". That way he can continues to work until he got official rejection letter from CIC. This gives him around 1 to 2 month time. And he says if in this period he got EE's ITA, he should get his BOWP approved. This is a risky move and I am not sure if anyone has done it before or even if this is a possible solution for us.

Also, can you ellaborate why you would think switch to a visitor status would be our best option? I was so sad to find we won't be eligible for BOWP with a AOR from OINP. That way it would take us soooooo long(around 5 months??) before we are eligible to work here :(

Sarah dhanoa

Aug 28, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FAM
sorutome said:
Thanks a lot butters1690. I have a friend who is in the exact same situation as us. What he plans to do at the moment is that he would apply for BOWP only 3 days before his PGWP expires. And then his status will become "implied status". That way he can continues to work until he got official rejection letter from CIC. This gives him around 1 to 2 month time. And he says if in this period he got EE's ITA, he should get his BOWP approved. This is a risky move and I am not sure if anyone has done it before or even if this is a possible solution for us.

Also, can you ellaborate why you would think switch to a visitor status would be our best option? I was so sad to find we won't be eligible for BOWP with a AOR from OINP. That way it would take us soooooo long(around 5 months??) before we are eligible to work here :(

I am going to do the exact same thing

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
sorutome said:

The only reason why i am applying to switch my status to a visitor status is to maintain a legal status in the country - and also OINP clearly states in order for them to issue a nomination, you must have a legal status in Canada... I've gone back and forth with CIC and OINP (through phone) about this, it's been such a nightmare! anyway .. like I said, I'm switching to visitor to avoid any "status" issue =/

sorutome

Star Member
May 17, 2016
butters1690 said:
The only reason why i am applying to switch my status to a visitor status is to maintain a legal status in the country - and also OINP clearly states in order for them to issue a nomination, you must have a legal status in Canada... I've gone back and forth with CIC and OINP (through phone) about this, it's been such a nightmare! anyway .. like I said, I'm switching to visitor to avoid any "status" issue =/
Thanks man. Sounds like a good idea. Just wondering when are you going to apply for visitor visa? How long can it keep our legal status in Canada?

Sarah dhanoa

Aug 28, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FAM
butters1690 said:
I have confirmed with OINP , just need to send them proof of being on implied status and thats what they need.

sorutome

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Sarah dhanoa said:
I have confirmed with OINP , just need to send them proof of being on implied status and thats what they need.
Thanks a lot Sarah dhanoa. I guess in this case you are probably going to send paper application to CIC, correct? As it would take longer time for paper application to process, it gives us more time to wait for the nomination from OINP. But I am concerned that if our BOWP got rejected BEFORE we are nominated by OINP, in that case we are not anymore having a legal status in Canada. Which means OINP may reject us........ :( So.... "I think" taking advantage of "implied status" is a smart idea but it could also be a very risky move.....

Sarah dhanoa

Aug 28, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FAM
sorutome said:
Thanks a lot Sarah dhanoa. I guess in this case you are probably going to send paper application to CIC, correct? As it would take longer time for paper application to process, it gives us more time to wait for the nomination from OINP. But I am concerned that if our BOWP got rejected BEFORE we are nominated by OINP, in that case we are not anymore having a legal status in Canada. Which means OINP may reject us........ :( So.... "I think" taking advantage of "implied status" is a smart idea but it could also be a very risky move.....
Ofcourse 115 days is processing time for paper application, I am taking this risk because if OINP doesn't work for me I still have ITA chances when score drops by the year end and this way I don't want to loose my Job and my benifits since provincial health card will also expire with my work permit.

I am applyinh next week that gives me atleast 3 months extra if not 4 and by september we ll have something either OINP or ITA

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
sorutome said:
Thanks man. Sounds like a good idea. Just wondering when are you going to apply for visitor visa? How long can it keep our legal status in Canada?
I am planning to apply to switch my status one week before my WP expires and it's usually given for 6 months.