+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP application in progress - SIN expiring - Can it be extended?

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
I have applied for PR and submitted an application for Bridgng Open Work Permit. I believe the BOWP gives me implied work permit status. My current SIN number was issued against an IEC visa and expires in November. Can I get the SIN extended by a Service Canada Office? If not can I continue to use the old SIN number until a BOWP is issued? Anyone had this issue an can answer?

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
I have applied for PR and submitted an application for Bridgng Open Work Permit. I believe the BOWP gives me implied work permit status. My current SIN number was issued against an IEC visa and expires in November. Can I get the SIN extended by a Service Canada Office? If not can I continue to use the old SIN number until a BOWP is issued? Anyone had this issue an can answer?
They won't extend your SIN until you get new work permit physically in your hands.
You can keep working with the same SIN, however you can't be hired if you want to switch jobs or find a second job.

When my work permit expired (PGWP), I was on implied status for five months, with expired SIN, health card, driver's licence etc.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Also, since your SIN is expired, you wont receive any more benefit payments from CRA if you are getting any now.

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Thanks. My open work Visa and SIN are still valid until mid November and I finish my current job at the end of October. Are you saying that only if I find and start a job prior to the end of my visa and SIN I can continue to work? The Section 186(u) of IRPP would seem to imply that as long as I comply with the original conditions of my visa which was an open work permit I can continue to work in Canada until a decision is made on my BOWP or PR. The open work permit allows me take any job except a few restrictions around working in child/health care so under implied status it would seem I should be able to change jobs.

Last edited:

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Thanks. My open work Visa and SIN are still valid until mid November and I finish my current job at the end of October. Are you saying that only if I find and start a job prior to the end of my visa and SIN I can continue to work? The Section 186(u) of IRPP would seem to imply that as long as I comply with the original conditions of my visa which was an open work permit I can continue to work in Canada until a decision is made on my BOWP or PR. The open work permit allows me take any job except a few restrictions around working in child/health care so under implied status it would seem I should be able to change jobs.
Yes that is correct, from what I understand you can't be hired on implied status. I tried to find a second job to make extra money but nobody wanted to hire me cause my SIN was expired.
I could continue work on implied status for the same employer I worked before my WP and SIN expired.
Again, this is my experience only, and I am not sure.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
Yes that is correct, from what I understand you can't be hired on implied status. I tried to find a second job to make extra money but nobody wanted to hire me cause my SIN was expired.
I could continue work on implied status for the same employer I worked before my WP and SIN expired.
Again, this is my experience only, and I am not sure.
That is not actually correct or at least anymore, your SIN doesn't actually expire on implied status it remains valid. I moved jobs on implied status and my employer never questioned my SIN. 3 months later I am still paid on it. I called CRA also and they say my SIN is still current. I think when you are on implied status the two systems talk.