+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP and health insurance in Quebec

Mandy_Morgan

May 22, 2013
Hello!

I called RAMQ today. They asked for my AOR, CSQ and Work Permit to evaluate the situation. They said that if I bridge to a OWP I'll lose my health insurance.

What r u guys doing about this?

I saw a lot of people bridging. Did u know about it?

jeeks2012

Star Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

Once we received the new workpermit, immediately our RAMQ will be invalid or we wouldnt be able to renew the current one??

Thanks & Regards
Jeeks

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
27-May-2014; VO change Req.:28-May; Confirmation Rec.: 12-June
Mandy_Morgan said:
Hello!

I called RAMQ today. They asked for my AOR, CSQ and Work Permit to evaluate the situation. They said that if I bridge to a OWP I'll lose my health insurance.

Really?? I know that you can apply for health insurance card holding a PGWP (told by my friends), they dont even ask for your CSQ or AOR. BOWP is different???? what if you have a valid job offer?

jeeks2012

Star Member
Aug 14, 2012
xihy06 said:
Really?? I know that you can apply for health insurance card holding a PGWP (told by my friends), they dont even ask for your CSQ or AOR. BOWP is different???? what if you have a valid job offer?
hmm.. in the RAMQ website says, eligible if "have received a study or training scholarship". so may be based on the PGWP..

somebody was telling that in the forum that, even if you have a valid Job they wont accept.. :(

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
Mandy_Morgan said:
Hello!

Hi Mandy_Morgan,

I'm in the same situation now. Just wanted to understand how did it go with you? Did you find a way to get a health card in Quebec on BOWP?

Thanks

rohanrc_ind

Jun 18, 2014
Even the same thing happened to me.
I have applied for PR in march 2014 and based on AOR I got my BOWP. Yesterday I went to renew my Quebec health card in Montreal where I have been staying for the last two years. They were asking for CSQ .
I was quite surprised as in Operational Bulletin 485-A – September 19, 2013 it is clearly mentioned as below:
"In all cases, the officer must input visible remarks on the WP, “APR Pending”. This remark, in addition to the Case Type code will ensure eligibility for continued health care coverage by the province or territory."

My case type code is 27. I even showed them this OB but they were not ready to hear me and said that with case type code=27 one must have CSQ. I tried to explain them that I applied under CEC where I don't need CSQ but they were not ready to listen to me.

Please let me know if anybody were lucky to get a Quebec Health card with BOWP. Is it possible to get a private insurance similar to Quebec Health card which covers doctors consultation fees etc?
I am also thinking of moving out of Quebec to Ontario with family while continue job in Montreal. Will it be possible to get a health card in Ontario based on BOWP?

Thanks

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
rohanrc_ind said:
I am also thinking of moving out of Quebec to Ontario with family while continue job in Montreal. Will it be possible to get a health card in Ontario based on BOWP?
Short answer: I doubt it.

There are a few categories of people eligible for OHIP (Ontario health card); the ones that might apply to you are:

• "you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months"

As you intend to work in Quebec, you won't get OHIP in this category.

• "you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada"

For this purpose, the AOR does not count as a statement of eligibility. The "Request for RPRF and updates" probably does, but by this stage you almost have PR anyway.

Source - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/temp_foreign.aspx
Source - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
LPS said:
Short answer: I doubt it.

There are a few categories of people eligible for OHIP (Ontario health card); the ones that might apply to you are:

• "you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months"

As you intend to work in Quebec, you won't get OHIP in this category.

• "you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada"

For this purpose, the AOR does not count as a statement of eligibility. The "Request for RPRF and updates" probably does, but by this stage you almost have PR anyway.

Source - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/temp_foreign.aspx
Source - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx
I was on type 27 BOWP and got OHIP without proof of employment in Ontario. IIRC, they said if I was 20 then I would have needed proof of employment.

Before that I had PGWP and they did ask for proof to get my OHIP.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Come to think of it, they didn't ask proof of my employment with BOWP either.

I figured that they only check that the first time you apply, and this was a renewal.

jeeks2012

Star Member
Aug 14, 2012
LPS said:
Come to think of it, they didn't ask proof of my employment with BOWP either.

I figured that they only check that the first time you apply, and this was a renewal.
If the Location or Employer is not mentioned in the WorkPermit(in BOWP both will not be mentioned and Type will be 27- is something related to Permanent residence Application), then the RAMQ officer will ask for paper from Quebec CAQ/CSQ. They will accept the Application If you don't have CAQ/CSQ but in 30 or 40 days you have to send the copy of CAQ/CSQ. I believe its mentioned in the RAMQ website.

Even after getting the PR also they will ask for CAQ or CSQ, otherwise no RAMQ.

as per the process we should inform them when the Workpermit got changed, but normally the RAMQ will be valid until the date mentioned(thats what the RAMQ officer told me on last December).

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Well I was referring specifically to Ontario and the requirement here for TFWs to be employed within the province.

In the case of Quebec, I don't think anyone should be surprised that they expect temporary foreign workers to have a CSQ.

CEC2013RAY

Jul 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Doc's Request.
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Passport Req..
01-03-2016
Hi guys, I applied for BOWP and currently working in Montreal. Has anyone in this forum renewed their RAMQ card successfully? It seems CAQ/CSQ is mandatory in this case?