+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Both Spouses Students_Need Your Guidance Before Wife's Study Permit Application

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Hi Folks

I have been a fan of this great forum for long time. I am a PhD student at Memorial Univ of Newfoundland (MUN), NL, living in St. John's; my wife (living in India) got acceptance letter in Diploma in in Safety and Risk Engineering in MUN and is in the process of applying for her study permit. As we all know, spouse living in Canada is just another ground for rejection of the application, I am extremely worried. I will write all necessary information as elaborately as possible and the possible measures I have thought of taking. Please read with patience and enrich me with your valued opinion/experience/logic/suggestion. Fell free to be brutally honest.

Applicant's (my wife) Profile:
Applying from: Kolkata, India, Online.
10th: 80% (2009)
12th: 64% (2011)
B. Tech. in Civil Engineering (2016), GPA 8.2/10, unemployed at the time of application, no work experience.
IELTS: preparing; I believe she will get band 6, not sure if that suffices.
No travel history.
Received acceptance letter in (postgraduate) Diploma in safety and risk engineering, Fall 2017 intake; no scholarship, tuition fees 6000 CAD total, diploma can be completed in 1-2 years (students typically take 1.5 yr)

My (applicant's husband) Profile:
Bachelor's in Medicine (MBBS) from India.
Joined MUN for Msc. in biomedical sciences in June 2014. Completed MSc. in 2016 August.
Started PhD in September 2016; on scholarship (18000 CAD/yr) which continues till August 2020.
Current study permit expires in 2018 July as passport expires. Will renew both in early 2018.
We got married in February 2016.

Following are the crucial issues and measures to be taken-

A. Proof that applicant (wife) is a bonafide student:

A1. Her SOP/LOE will explain how B. Tech in Civil engineering is closely related with safety and risk engineering and how that will help her to get a job in India.
A2. I (husband) will pay the tuition fee of first semester (550 CAD) from Canada.

B. Proof of financial support :

B1. Applicant has maintained 11000 CAD equivalent in an Indian bank account. (We can not do GIC for some other problem; is that really necessary?)
B2. Applicant received an educational loan of 14000 CAD equivalent from an Indian bank.
B3. Applicant's husband (me) has 5000 CAD in a Canadian bank account.
B4. Applicant's husband's pay stub (~1000 CAD/ month)
B5. Applicant's father's pay stub (Indian government job, ~600 CAD/month), applicant's father's property (evaluation of ~40,000 CAD) [there will be a declaration from both me and her father to sponsor her studies]
*B6. rent payment- I can probably manage my landlord to give me receipt of rent for 4 months (September-December 2017, the first semester) for two of us.
*B7. Applicant's property: we can probably manage to get a small land transferred to applicant's name worth ~6,000 CAD.
(* means uncertain)

C. Applicant's tie to home country

C1. Applicant received an educational loan of 14000 CAD equivalent from an Indian bank; she needs to come back to repay the loan.
C2. Explaining in LOE how she will get a decent job in India (but not in Canada), with this diploma.
C3. A notarized declaration that the applicant will come to Canada only for the purpose of the study and will return to India at the end of the study.
C4. Both applicants are single child; hence need to come back to India for taking care of their old parents.
C5. Applicant's husband's (me) study permit expires in 2018 July. Applicant (wife) plans to finish her course around that time and return to India.
C6. Applicant's husband has a medicine practicing license in India, but not in Canada; hence more prospect to go back to India.
*C7. Similarly, we will try to get a professional license for the applicant for Civil Engineering practice in India; not sure if we can get that in this short time.
*C8. The small property of ~6000 CAD in applicant's name, if we can get that.
*C9. Probably the applicant can get a letter from a small consultancy farm stating that they will hire her if she comes back after finishing this diploma. Again, not sure if we can manage that.
(* means uncertain)

Does it sound like a well-knit story? Do you see loop-holes/ weak points? What are the things that I should change/improve/add/remove?

It is extremely painful to get married and stay away from your spouse for more than a year; on top of that, there is this heavy amount of uncertainty in visa processing to bear with. Help me out folks!!! :'(

Thanks in advance.

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me out friends. Let me know if my story sounds tight. More opinions I get, more helpful it would be. Please!

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
i have done m.tech in bio technology from india and trying for phd in canada
has sent emails to supervisors of various universities but not getting responses
can to help me how i can get supervisors consent?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
has sent emails to supervisors of various universities but not getting responses
How can this forum be of help to get Supervisor Consent?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does your area of interest for your PhD coincide with the research that your PhD supervisors are interested in? How many programs have you applied for? Canada doesn’t have that many universities so there is significantly more applicants than spots.

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
Does your area of interest for your PhD coincide with the research that your PhD supervisors are interested in? How many programs have you applied for? Canada doesn’t have that many universities so there is significantly more applicants than spots.
i have sent emails to six universities where phd in bio technology is there
please help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not surprised unless you are nationally/internationally renowned in your field with an expansive portfolio of published work. Most profs can find students within Canada.

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
Not surprised unless you are nationally/internationally renowned in your field with an expansive portfolio of published work. Most profs can find students within Canada.
now i am planning to apply for masters having gre score of 296/340 and ielts 7 bands
how i should proceed please help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How do you know profs cannot find students within Canada? Did a prof tell you this? Like PhD programs, find schools with masters programs, and apply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Having a PhD program in biotech is not enough you should be looking for a PhD program in your area of interest and make sure your area of interest for your thesis is in the same field of study as your supervisors and/or one of the labs at the universities. Biotech is such a huge field so you need to look at the specific area of interest for the biotech supervisors at the universities and the area of research of the labs associated with the program.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have already done a masters program you will need to justify why you need a second masters degree and why returning to school to do a second masters degree will lead to career advancement and make sense financially for example.

Vid Shanmugam

Feb 21, 2024
If you have already done a masters program you will need to justify why you need a second masters degree and why returning to school to do a second masters degree will lead to career advancement and make sense financially for example.

Hello Mate, I am in similar situation. I want to do second MSc in finance and I already have another MSc in finance and Investment management but the new MSc will give me a better opportunities. Can you give me some advice on this? your advice is hugely appreciated.