+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border Run on Tourist Visa

Jan 23, 2018
Once my 6 month tourist visa has expired or is about to expire, is it possible to simply go across the USA land border and come back into Canada and be given another 6 months as a tourist in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Once my 6 month tourist visa has expired or is about to expire, is it possible to simply go across the USA land border and come back into Canada and be given another 6 months as a tourist in Canada?
Technically yes, but don't do it. Pay the money to instead apply for an extension from within Canada.

Lower chances things will work out as you want them if you do a border run. CBSA often frowns on people who do this since it looks like they are using a loophole to try to live in Canada on visitor status. Apply for the extension from within Canada if you want to stay longer.

Jan 23, 2018
I thought that the rule was that you can only stay in Canada for 6 months out of every 12 months. Is it really true that after spending 6 months in Canada on a tourist visa, it's a common practice or "bending of the rules" for people to simply go into the USA and back into Canada and are allowed another 6 months in Canada as a tourist again? I would have assumed that every single border guard would turn away EVERYONE that attempted this and it would literally NEVER be allowed.

It seems that even if the CBSA often frown on people who do this, there are also many people that are allowed to re-enter for a consecutive 6 months. Is this true or is it a myth? If it's not a myth, how common is it for people to be allowed in for another 6 months?

Thank you for the kind help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I thought that the rule was that you can only stay in Canada for 6 months out of every 12 months. Is it really true that after spending 6 months in Canada on a tourist visa, it's a common practice or "bending of the rules" for people to simply go into the USA and back into Canada and are allowed another 6 months in Canada as a tourist again? I would have assumed that every single border guard would turn away EVERYONE that attempted this and it would literally NEVER be allowed.

It seems that even if the CBSA often frown on people who do this, there are also many people that are allowed to re-enter for a consecutive 6 months. Is this true or is it a myth? If it's not a myth, how common is it for people to be allowed in for another 6 months?

There is no 6 out of 12 month rule. However CBSA can get concerned if it appears you are trying to live in Canada.

None of us can tell you how common it is for people to be allowed in for another 6 months. Those statisics don't exist.

All we can tell you is that your chances of securing another six month stay are higher if you apply for that extension from within Canada vs. doing a border run. Your choice of course what you do. If you want to take the riskier path, you can certainly do that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Are you still married to a Canadian? Have you been in Canada since 2018 or hhave you been leaving every 6 months? Have you submitted sponsorship application?