+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border officer seizes Husband's passport at the port of entry (Airport) !!!!!!

Tbrown

Apr 27, 2017
I am a PR and submitted an inland application for spousal PR for my husband on Sept 1, 2020. My husband had to travel out of Canada for business and was returning back into Canada on 12th October 2020 when he was grilled by the border officers. He was very honest and open about the fact that he had an on-going application in Canada. Long story short, the officer seized his passport and asked him to go renew his passport before she can stamp him in as his passport expires end of October 2020.

The officer also told him that if he is unable to renew his passport, he will have to leave Canada.

Has anyone been in this situation before and please share your thoughts.

Thanks !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
He will need to renew his passport.

Always best to have minimum six months validity on passport when travelling. He tried to enter with less than three weeks remaining.

And he can't complete the sponsorship process without a valid passport either.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
First of all file an IRCC - Application for the Return of Seized Identity documents.
You want to keep your old passport for your records or for applying for a new passport, etc.
Secondly, apply for a new passport.

Reactions: armoured

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Also keep in mind that with an inland application it is often recommended on here to keep any travel outside of the country to a minimum given there is a always a possibility that IRCC might consider an application abandoned.

Have to agree with above though that assume had own reasons for not renewing passport before sending in a PR application but on reflection maybe a bad decision with only 2 months validity left and then leaving the country on a trip given spouse only had temp resident status.

Reactions: YVR123 and DiiDii