23-07-2014
Med's Done....
29-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2014
LANDED..........
18-10-2014
Hello,

My question is to find the smoothest, easiest way to do crossings without raising concern or reason to give us a hard time. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks and will be submitting an application. I am Canadian, sponsoring my American wife.

Can some people share their experiences with border crossings while a PR application is in process? Do the guards know you have a file being processed? in the past we have simply told guards we are "visiting friends" for usually about "two weeks"... and they let us through no problem. Should we continue this method? Since technically, we arent lying, as we do have established friends in each others countries.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Trav0370 said:
Hello,

My question is to find the smoothest, easiest way to do crossings without raising concern or reason to give us a hard time. My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks and will be submitting an application. I am Canadian, sponsoring my American wife.

Can some people share their experiences with border crossings while a PR application is in process? Do the guards know you have a file being processed? in the past we have simply told guards we are "visiting friends" for usually about "two weeks"... and they let us through no problem. Should we continue this method? Since technically, we arent lying, as we do have established friends in each others countries.
Wow! If you find the secret to this question please share it with the rest of us! LOL!

There's no trick, or easy way to ensure a smooth crossing. All you can do is be honest and hope for a border officer that's in a decent mood...seriously.

The fact that you are each from a visa exempt country and have a history of crossing the border, is definitely to your advantage.

Are you submitting an Outland application and will your bride be `visiting';) you in Canada throughout the process? Or...are you and her living in the US now, which is why you `travel together' across the border? Sorry, but I'm not quite sure how to interpret that.

As you probably already know, you can apply Outland (even if you will both be in Canada) and request a visitor record for your wife (ask for 1 year) so that she can stay with you in Canada until she has her PR. Explain that you have a sponsorship application submitted and provide proof to the border officer (including the receipt for fees). For an American applicant it's usually a non-issue.

Good luck!

Trav0370

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
23-07-2014
File Transfer...
23-07-2014
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Med's Done....
29-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2014
LANDED..........
18-10-2014
Thanks much for the quick reply.

Sorry let me clear that up a little bit - I reside in Canada, She is in the USA, and we frequently travel to visit each other. We have never crossed together. We will be submitting an outland application (She wil mail me her parts for me to submit from within Canada, as a complete package of course.)

My idea is to get the application in, and as most people would desire, to have her live with me in Canada as soon as possible. So, are you stating that we can ask for a "1 year visitor record" at the border of the airport? Providing we supply proof of the PR application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah. Got it!

Yes. If you can show that she has funds to support herself while she `visits' you in Canada, while her PR application is being processed, or that you can provide for her, it's usually a pretty successful request for an American citizen.

Even if the request is denied at the border and she is only allowed to stay for a certain number of days, she can always submit the request for an extension online before that date arrives. This would give her `implied status' and allow her to legally remain in Canada, visiting you, until her request has been processed. If the extension was denied, for some strange reason, she would then need to leave Canada until she could either re-enter or she receives her CoPR (landing papers) that would be mailed to her.

Many couples in your exact situation have had no problem doing this.

Stick around for a few more replies, but I think you're `golden' in getting what you both want.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
...but as an addendum .... under NO circumstances should you use the word 'living' with CBSA when in reference to what you wish your wife to do. She simply wants to come visit with you and remain/stay with you while your application is under process. To help facilitate it would also help if she could show them a copy of her PCC from the FBI and such as well. Make sure you get a photocopy of these things! LOL

I was granted only 3 months after marrying my Canadian husband. After we filed our sponsorship package, I traveled back to my POE (Ambassador Bridge, Windsor), and showed them our receipts from our application submission, my PCC certficates (I had one from the FBI and State of Michigan, only because I wanted to cover EVERY base and prove I didn't even have a parking ticket on my record) and they then granted me a 1 year visitor extension. I only needed the one because we received a DM before my record expired and they told me not to worry about renewing it because I was only waiting for my landing appointment at that time.

Also, one more thing I would like to point out. This may not apply to you, but for those of you who are close to a land border and aren't afraid of CBSA, you can go directly to them and request a visitor record extension and you don't have to pay the $75 fee that you have to pay to CIC to fill out the same dang form. Just thought I'd add that heads up for anyone who cares! LOL

Anyway, good luck and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

Mrs.Redneck

Jun 25, 2012
Our experience, I am Canadian (wife), living/working in Canada, my husband is American, living/working in U.S. Our crossings are always by land. BE HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING, don't put yourself in a position where you might have to be less than completely truthful, this can lead to disaster. Our visits are always long weekends together about once a month, except for "vacation time" which is nine days together periodically throughout the year. Make a complete copy of the entire application PR and the receipt for payment of fees, carry it with you when you cross, this makes it completely clear to CBSA that your doing everything on the up and up. Overall we have never had any significant problems, had to go inside on 2 or 3 occasions for secondary inspection, but it was all very straight forward. Good Luck.

Trav0370

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
23-07-2014
File Transfer...
23-07-2014
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Med's Done....
29-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2014
LANDED..........
18-10-2014
Thank you.

What kind of information / files should we have prepared ahead of time at the border? I gather I need to equip her with a full photocopy of the application, government reciepts, and proof of money - in this case, I will be supporting her - would you think a few year-end pay stubs would be sufficient? Are we missing anything else?

Much appreciated.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
My husband (American) just flew in to visit me yesterday - we have a PR application in process right now. We didn't realize we should bring a copy of the application, so we didn't. He is only staying for 3 days and has a return ticket. They asked him what he was coming into Canada for, how long he was staying, and if he had a return ticket, that was it. Didn't even mention the PR app.

Mrs.Redneck

Jun 25, 2012
Zarilenth said:
My husband (American) just flew in to visit me yesterday - we have a PR application in process right now. We didn't realize we should bring a copy of the application, so we didn't. He is only staying for 3 days and has a return ticket. They asked him what he was coming into Canada for, how long he was staying, and if he had a return ticket, that was it. Didn't even mention the PR app.
It's NOT required, but if an IO were to attempt to give you a difficult time, it helps a lot, not many people do this but we have had CBSA tell us it's an excellent idea, we're ALL ABOUT straightforward border crossings.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mrs.Redneck said:
Our experience, I am Canadian (wife), living/working in Canada, my husband is American, living/working in U.S. Our crossings are always by land. BE HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING...
Worth repeating!

Also, GOGOGO's experience is helpful for folks to keep in mind:

GOGOGO said:
It's always tricky when dealing with border officers and have to be very careful in answering questions.

Personal experiences (me being the PR applicant):

1) I'm visa exempt. I lived in US (H1B and subsequently B2 after employment terminated in US).

2) I used to drive across the border at Fort Erie or Niagara Falls every weekend or every other weekend. I didn't have problem crossing border before/after marriage, before/after PR application was filed, or before/after being granted the Visitor Record.

3) There was only one time (before marriage) I was on vacation for a month (via Toronto airport), back into US to check the apartment and mails, and same day returned to Canada intending to spend a few more days vacation in Canada before going back to work in US after New Year. I was interrogated for an hour or two because I did not have recent document with me proving my ties to US. Since then, I always carried documents, eg, lease/utility bills, every time I crossed the border.

4) Crossings became a bit trickier after my H1B had ended, after Visitor Record was granted. The border officers started asking more questions. I had to emphase a) I still had my apartment in US until my lease ended and was granted B2 a few months to wrap up my affairs in US (showing ties), b) I planned to VISIT my husband and planned to return to US in a week or 2 (even though my plan changed and I ended up staying for a month), c) I was driving a US plated car because I had to wait till my PR approval first then decide on selling or importing my car.

5) While wrapping up my apartment, I took some home/kitchen stuff with me across the border, but always tried to pack them in SUITCASES.

6) Occasionally, I took USED furniture with me but always claimed them as GIFTS to my husband's family/friend because they just moved, and total value was always UNDER C$60 (limit for VISITORS).

7) A couple of times, the border officer REMINDED me that I am not supposed to move before my PR application has completed and I always gave them firm postive answers that I know!

8 ) I SOLD some furniture to my husband's family (Canadian citizens), and they came to US to visit, stayed over 48 hours, and claimed the USED furniture @ under C$400 (used to be the limit for Canadians visiting outside Canada, now has increased). And I tried NOT to be in the same car as them.

Good luck everyone!

swestenzweig

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
23-07-2015
I am in a similar situation, so I've been gathering a lot of information on this. I've also had a lot of experience with CBSA as I live on the border and frequently visit my fiance in Canada.

The most important thing I can add is to keep in mind the frequency and duration of your visits. When the visitor starts to spend more time in Canada than in the US (or encroach upon that threshold), red flags will be raised at the POE. If your fiance plans to visit only on the weekends, she probably won't raise many eyebrows regardless of marital status. If she plans to stay with you for the duration of the PR process, there is plenty of advice and experience here on how to best go about doing so. If she plans on travelling back and forth during the PR process, or visiting with more frequency than just the weekends, that's when the path for success gets a little less clear.

Whatever the case, I would advise your fiance to carry with her at least: 3 months bank statements (to show proof of funds to support herself in Canada), 3 months pay stubs (to prove she is working in the US), and proof of residency in the US (to prove she has ties and plans to return). Those are the three most common areas of concern at POE. Think of the crossing as you would an audit and make sure you have documented evidence to back up everything you tell CBSA.

One other step I'd highly recommend: get a NEXUS card and use the NEXUS-only crossings. The amount of time and hassle I've saved since I started using the trusted traveler program is immeasurable!

Lil_lulu86

Feb 22, 2014
United States going to Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Working on it
So I have a question. I will coming across in a few weeks to "stay" with my
Fiancée. I will be applying Outland but plan in staying in canada during the process. I am American and he is Canadian. He will be sponsoring me. I plan on this being my last trip across til the paperwork and everything is accepted and I am pr. What do I tell the border? I heard they stamp your passport with a date an u have to leave by then. If I say a few weeks can I apply for an extension before that day is up?

kneekick

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/17/2014
Doc's Request.
07/09/2014 (marriage cert./rprf)
AOR Received.
03/26/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/04/2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
10/28/2014
Border crossings are no doubt my least favorite thing ever. I'd rather get my teeth drilled than do it. I've been staying in Canada since my husband and I got married in January while we filled out my Outland application, but now things will be getting a bit trickier. I've got a weekend trip to Boston planned at the end of this month and I'm so stressed. I haven't overstayed my time in Canada, but I do know that I take a risk every time when I come through. Our application has been received already, so I guess that sort of helps, right? I don't have many ties to the US because I haven't lived/worked there since 2008 (I lived in France, South Korea, and spend a great deal of my time traveling). I'm a freelance writer and I'm currently working on an independent project at the moment.

After my trip to Boston, I'll be going to France 3 weeks later. Will this help having proof of departure?

Anyone have any advice on not getting stressed out before going through the border?

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
I did that in December without any concerns.

We were family friends before we got together so I used that excuse: I'm going for xmas holidays and his mother sent him to pick me up. Which was partially true ;)

It took me a total of 30 seconds to cross the border. With a PK passport.

But those 30 seconds were the longest 30 seconds of my life. I had a bottle of wine in Windsor to celebrate the occassion. haha

chessnut1087

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
MY EXPERIENCE LAST WEEK- I will tell you EXACTLY what happened when crossing a border last week. This was by land going into Alberta from Montana.

Canadian husband is sponsoring me (American wife) as a spouse. We did not yet submit our application but had just one more day to work on it before we would be done with it. I have crossed from the USA to Canada about 12 times this past year to be with him on 10 day visits and vacations. Never had a problem.

This time, since we are now married and our application is complete, I planned on VISITING him for a few months. I had a few suitcases packed, no furniture, but enough stuff to last me through a long trip. We called about 4 borders all through Canada to ask what we should say when crossing the border. Each one told us "You say that you are coming for an extended STAY but are NOT moving" That made sense.

We got to the border and I tell the agent just that I am coming for a few months stay. They pulled us inside for further questioning. I have no criminal record, no record of over-staying any visa, etc. The agent drilled me with questions about my job (self-employed), my residence, etc. I left my entire application package on the front seat of the car just so that I could grab it to prove that I am being sponsored. For some reason, the agent asked me "how do you know the man you are with?" I replied "He's my husband" She then told me to sit down. She grabbed my car keys and went immediately for the car to find incriminating things. She went through all of my personal belongings including my binder of lease agreement, finance stuff, etc. She again drilled me "Are you trying to move here?" I repeatedly said "no" because I am not allowed to MOVE until I have a resident permit. She then asked why I have an application package in the car. I told her I am being sponsored. Again she asked me "you have a lot of things with you, are you trying to move here?" At this point I am crying my eyes out because she is trying to get me to admit that I am "MOVING" when I am not supposed to be. I again say to her "no I am not allowed, I am only coming for an extended stay until my application is approved".

This point she takes my phone from me and goes through every single text message I have. I have a few messages telling my close friends that I am moving up to Canada for a little bit, etc. She then pulls her supervisor over to talk to me at the counter. She is now telling her supervisor that I am lying about my intent in Canada. Her supervisor (head hancho of that border crossing) looks at me and says "Ma'm are you trying to move here?" I start bawling my eyes out because I AM NOT MOVING UNTIL I HAVE MY PERMIT. He told me to "cut the crap" and finally I gave in saying "Yes, I intend to move here eventually, beginning now I guess"

At this point he tells my husband to get our marriage certificate and bring it to him. This piece of paper SAVED my butt. He looked at it and told the original agent "calm down, they're already married, she's going to get approved for residency, they're going through" The female agent tried to protest by showing him a few texts I sent out saying I found work in Canada, which wasn't true, I just wanted a few people to have closure with me. She told me to my face that I was being a liar. The supervisor told her to "shut up".

He then said to me "You should have been honest with us in the first place, then we can work with you properly." The idiot agent didn't even ask me if I was being sponsored when I told her I was married. Idiot.

She then gave me a proper 6-month Visa with a note in the system "married xxxxx xxxx, is applying for sponsorship for residency, etc" this paper will allow me to go back and forth now un-harassed hopefully. Any border agent will see the note in the system from now on.

The end.

Ps- I cried all the way to his house in Calgary. It was the worst experience of my life.