+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border crossing

Worried and Confused!

Apr 9, 2010
Hi all.

I just have a quick question. I have been in Canada on a tourist visa for almost 6 months and I am planning to go to the US for the weekend and cross back into get a 6 month extension. I have applied for my permanent residency through the common law route, through outland, but have not received anything from them yet (it's only been 3 weeks). I am planning to declare at the border that I have applied for permanent residency. Now, my question is, what should I bring with me (Apart from my passport :)) ? I have the receipt that I have paid for the immigration. Any problems that I might run into would be great to know, if anyone has any similar experiences.

Thanks for your help

Laura

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
Personally, I wouldn't cross over. Do you have to?

If you have to, take everything you can. Any copies of your application, your receipts, etc. Did you get a Visitor Record when you first came in? Are you a U.S. citizen? Have you filed for an extension?

I would also be worried and confused. Are you travelling with your spouse. Let him do all the talking. . . .

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
Are you a US citizen? I'm not sure what the situation is, but if you were given a temporary visa, you can apply for an extension while in Canada. I don't think getting your partner to do all the talking will cut it at the border. In January this year, I was crossing the border with my partner, and the border patrol didn't want to hear anything I had to say and made me sit off in the corner while my partner was left to fend for himself. You should call CIC to see what they suggest.

Hope that helps!

Worried and Confused!

Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for the speedy replies. I am a British citizen and was supposed to fly home this month, but that fell through, so I haven't had time to apply for an extension through the cic. I got a stamp on my passport on my way in, but that's it. My tourist visa runs out on 23rd Sept. My partner will be coming with me, but I know that I will be doing all the talking. Is it really as bad as everyone has been saying? Do you think I will be refused re entry?

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
Its really a lot safer and easier to just apply for the extension, for the sake of staying with your partner legally im sure you can find the time to apply, it shouldn't take long.

If you feel you absolutely must cross the border then you'll need a case number if your going to declare your application :\ The whole re-entry thing is all very risky, its totally down to who you get. I'd bring all the proof you have of your relationship, proof of funds, the recipt from paying for your application if you have nothing else, just...everything XD

But if you apply now i believe even if you don't get the extension right away you get implied status...feel free to correct me if im wrong someone ^^; But with that you can wait until you get a yay or nay on the extension and work from there...your less likely to be refused and extension than re-entry tho i believe

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
Worried and Confused! said:
Hi all.

I just have a quick question. I have been in Canada on a tourist visa for almost 6 months and I am planning to go to the US for the weekend and cross back into get a 6 month extension. I have applied for my permanent residency through the common law route, through outland, but have not received anything from them yet (it's only been 3 weeks). I am planning to declare at the border that I have applied for permanent residency. Now, my question is, what should I bring with me (Apart from my passport :)) ? I have the receipt that I have paid for the immigration. Any problems that I might run into would be great to know, if anyone has any similar experiences.

Thanks for your help

Laura
hey laura,
I will give you my experience. i have been in canada since November last year 2009 . i live in vancouver. have been across the border probably four times in total. since my application started being processed. i also just came back from an overseas three week trip a week ago. I havent heard anything since i put in my application in january till now. I am an inland applicant though which is supposedly harder to re-enter??,.
when i was in the states and came back i did carry all my documentation... my ecas number.. marriage cert etc. i was also very honest with the IO. officer. what you dont want is for them to catch you in your lie.
For all the times i have re-entered.. i have been honest and truthful with them as to what is going on. As an outland applicant, i thought you could visit and re-visit your spouse?. i could be wrong as i am an inside applicant . if you are to do it i advice maybe carry all your documentation with you??. and have your spouse accompany you. you stand a higher chance of re-entry

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Don't cross the border, that's absolutely the wrong thing to do in your situation. Since you've applied inland for PR already, leaving Canada is very risky. Here is what you should do:

Send in an application to extend your status AS A WORKER to CPC-Vegreville. Tick the box for initial work permit and pay the $150 fee. Mail it as soon as possible, but at the very latest mail it so that it will arrive at CPC-V *before* the expiry of your current status. Include a cover letter stating your client ID number (from any previous immigration document, work permit, visitor record, etc), and explaining that you have applied for PR through the common-law partner in canada route and you would like this status extension to be SET ASIDE, and processed AFTER you have first stage approval on your PR application. Also include a copy of your passport stamp showing your current status.

You have to make it *crystal* clear that you want this extension to be matched up with your inland PR application in your cover letter, because they will not - as yet - have opened your inland PR application and put it in the system, so it won't be obvious when they look you up in the computer.

If you do that, you will not receive a reply on the status extension until first-stage approval of your PR application, however that is OK because you will have what is called IMPLIED STATUS until then. At that point, you'll be authorised to work.

You can read more about what I've described in IP6 section 5.6:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip06-eng.pdf

Good luck,
Matthew

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
matthewc said:
Don't cross the border, that's absolutely the wrong thing to do in your situation. Since you've applied inland for PR already, leaving Canada is very risky. Here is what you should do:

Send in an application to extend your status AS A WORKER to CPC-Vegreville. Tick the box for initial work permit and pay the $150 fee. Mail it as soon as possible, but at the very latest mail it so that it will arrive at CPC-V *before* the expiry of your current status. Include a cover letter stating your client ID number (from any previous immigration document, work permit, visitor record, etc), and explaining that you have applied for PR through the common-law partner in canada route and you would like this status extension to be SET ASIDE, and processed AFTER you have first stage approval on your PR application. Also include a copy of your passport stamp showing your current status.

You have to make it *crystal* clear that you want this extension to be matched up with your inland PR application in your cover letter, because they will not - as yet - have opened your inland PR application and put it in the system, so it won't be obvious when they look you up in the computer.

If you do that, you will not receive a reply on the status extension until first-stage approval of your PR application, however that is OK because you will have what is called IMPLIED STATUS until then. At that point, you'll be authorised to work.

You can read more about what I've described in IP6 section 5.6:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip06-eng.pdf

Good luck,
Matthew
If i read correct the originl poster said they applied "OUTLAND" The advise you are giving is correct only for "INLAND" applications??. but maybe they meant Inland in their question...
The way i understand it, cant an outland applicant enter and re-enter ????

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
It's not advised to leave if you have a visitor visa as by staying until the end and trying to re-enter your proving your not going home...if you get what i mean? so the second time around they're not deff gonna give it to you, just like the first time. You could end up stuck in america and having to book a flight home from there =z
matthewc's advise is indeed the best way to go about it all lol

Worried and Confused!

Apr 9, 2010
Hi all
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Just to clarify that I am applying outland and managed to exit and re-enter the country, no problem!! I declared that had applied for PR and they took me and my partner aside to ensure that I wasn't working etc etc. Took about 20 minutes. Phew! :)

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Certainly you can go back to England and come back again as a visitor. British national are visa exempted for entry in to Canada.

Justincase

Jul 30, 2010
Worried and Confused! said:
Hi all
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Just to clarify that I am applying outland and managed to exit and re-enter the country, no problem!! I declared that had applied for PR and they took me and my partner aside to ensure that I wasn't working etc etc. Took about 20 minutes. Phew! :)
congrats!!! ;D