+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border crossing with Wife and Newborn

Lacklustre

Aug 17, 2009
I am a US Citizen who recently married a Canadian and we have a 3 month old baby together. We don't currently have any application for my Spousal sponsorship yet but we are going to start the process soon. I have been coming to Canada for a few weeks and then returning to Buffalo for a few days...rinse and repeat...However, we now both have to cross the border together and with the child. I don't forsee much of an issue crossing the US border, My citizenship covers me and my wife has ample proof of her intent to return to Canada. However crossing back into Canada concerns me. I can envisage the CIC asking some questions about my intent to return to the US, especially knowing I have a wife and child in Toronto. Any advice for making the crossing as trouble free as possible?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
(1) Pay the PR application fee. That shows you are serious about applying for PR, or if you HAVE applied a copy of the sponsor approval letter is idea. If they still refuse you, there is a last ditch application you can make (because you are a US citizen) at the POE - it's called "temporary resident permit" and it overcomes inadmissibility because they don't think you're going to leave if you're successful. It's discretionary, but the CIC manual (OP 20 "Temporary Resident Permits") describes the "early admission" category. Let's hope you don't get to that point.

(2) Demonstrate you have substantial ties to the US and will not overstay.

It's probably too late for you due to processing times, but the other thing to have is a NEXUS card. Nexus is a great program for crossing back and forth and requires you be approved by both the US and Canadian governments. https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes/HomePagePreAction.do. That lowers the level of scrutiny down quite a lot - I seldom get asked any questions at the border.

Good luck!