+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border crossing with visa extension pending

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Hi! I'm in the last month of my six-month visit (I'm from the U.S.), and sent in an application for a visa extension about a month ago. My reason was to stay in Canada to spend more time here with my spouse while we prepare paperwork to apply for PR.

I have to travel to the U.S. for an unavoidable day trip next week (I'm disabled and need to go in for a social security exam). I'm concerned about being let back in Canada because I'm nearing the end of my allotted time and haven't received a decision on my extension yet. I'll still have two weeks or so to spare on my original visa.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Tips for the border crossing? We have copies of all the extension paperwork, and verification that it reached CIC. We also have about a dozen letters of support from friends and family gathered for when we apply for my PR, and have pre-paid the sponsorship fee.

Thank you for reading and any advice you may have.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Latch said:
Hi! I'm in the last month of my six-month visit (I'm from the U.S.), and sent in an application for a visa extension about a month ago. My reason was to stay in Canada to spend more time here with my spouse while we prepare paperwork to apply for PR.

I have to travel to the U.S. for an unavoidable day trip next week (I'm disabled and need to go in for a social security exam). I'm concerned about being let back in Canada because I'm nearing the end of my allotted time and haven't received a decision on my extension yet. I'll still have two weeks or so to spare on my original visa.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Tips for the border crossing? We have copies of all the extension paperwork, and verification that it reached CIC. We also have about a dozen letters of support from friends and family gathered for when we apply for my PR, and have pre-paid the sponsorship fee.

Thank you for reading and any advice you may have.
The extension wouldn't make a difference because once you leave Canada your status as a visitor ceases and you'll need to be re-evaluated when you reach the border again.

So since you have to leave, the question you're really asking is how to re-enter as a visitor who has spent (almost) 6 months in Canada already. Many people successfully traveled back and forth while their application is in process.

As you know, at the border, it's always luck of the draw with the day you cross and the Officer who examines you. Many US citizens have reported being granted entry as long as they are very clear in that they are visiting Canada and show they know the rules associated with visiting. Sometimes, BSOs do ask to see your ties to the US so I'd bring proof of those. Will your spouse be traveling with you? If so, make sure to cross together (assuming you're flying) so that he can speak with the Officer too. Any chance you'll have your application filed before you go? It usually helps too (if not, at be ready to explain why not and take proof of payment you mentioned you've done already) and would make you potentially eligible for 'early admission' with a Temporary Resident Permit (which I believe as a US citizen you could apply for at the border if you are refused admission).

Some people who cross often also enjoy the benefits of a NEXUS card so you may want to look into getting one of those. It's good for 5 years and speeds up your border crossings. It's possible to get an appointment quickly (when there's cancellations) and I know some people who got their approval recently in a couple days so you may be able to take advantage of this trip to do it.

You may also want to ask this question over in the Family Class side of the forum to get first hand experiences: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-b5.0/ or do a search over there to see similar questions where people have shared them before. Also, take a look at GOGOGO's post on the first page of http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-outland-applicants-thread-t106068.2535.html