+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

border agent didn't active my permanent residence status when landing

mn096104

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Hi guys,
I'm wondering has anyone experienced silimar situation as I did
I came to Toronto with travel visa in Oct, got granted conditional permanent reaidence status in Dec. I went to rainbow bridge tried to complete landing process alone, as my sponsor was at work, sadly I run into a very intense agent, who told me I have to come back with my sponsor and provide all evidence to show we have been living together since Oct. So the next day my hubby and I went back with all paperwork we had at hand, and a female agent helped us out by uploading all paperwork in the system, then she signed my CO PR, and told me congratulations u r PR and please go to service Canada and service Ontario to apply sin and health card. We thought finally all these is over....
Until today I went to service Canada to apply sin, I was told my status isn't active, so I called CIC.....the agent validated all my info then told me"Sorry CBSA made a mistake, they didn't activate ur status when u landland, we can see your paperwork got uploaded we will send them info to let them know....call us by Friday...."
I don't even know what to say......very unforgetable experience to start my life in this country

Turbo2000

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-06-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
DM1: 02-07-2015, IN PROCESS: 09-10-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
12-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM2: 12-18-2015
LANDED..........
JAN. 17TH 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's not a major problem at all especially as they have all documents in the system.

The activation process won't take long.

You should also share part of the blame for first attempting to land without your partner (sponsor).

May be the first agent had entered some notes on your file.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Just follow their instructions and it will be made right. I did read about this happening to someone else, and they just went back across the border to "re-land". But if they told you to call them Friday, wait it out and see.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Turbo2000 said:
That's not a major problem at all especially as they have all documents in the system.

The activation process won't take long.

You should also share part of the blame for first attempting to land without your partner (sponsor).

May be the first agent had entered some notes on your file.
There is no requirement for the sponsor to be present at a POE landing. In fact, unless they travel with you, they can't be. This is not the case during an inland CIC landing interview however I believe. I landed without my sponsor even being in Canada. She remained in the UK.

mn096104

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
zardoz said:
There is no requirement for the sponsor to be present at a POE landing. In fact, unless they travel with you, they can't be. This is not the case during an inland CIC landing interview however I believe. I landed without my sponsor even being in Canada. She remained in the UK.
I agree as we applied OUT-LANDING spousal sponsorship, i got granted conditional PR, and the condition is to cohabit with sponsor for the upcoming two year after i land as PR, i confronted with the agent, as presenting with my sponsor and the agent's request of proofing us living together has nothing to do with my conditional PR, and he told me "Letting you in become permanent residence means you have rights and i as a border agent have my rights too, i can ask, you are not being requested to do what i asked but i just wont let you in" and that made me feel is an interesting experience.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
mn096104 said:
I agree as we applied OUT-LANDING spousal sponsorship, i got granted conditional PR, and the condition is to cohabit with sponsor for the upcoming two year after i land as PR, i confronted with the agent, as presenting with my sponsor and the agent's request of proofing us living together has nothing to do with my conditional PR, and he told me "Letting you in become permanent residence means you have rights and i as a border agent have my rights too, i can ask, you are not being requested to do what i asked but i just wont let you in" and that made me feel is an interesting experience.
What a nasty person . Obviously he didn't understand the meaning of landing with your corp . As others have said when outland application you don't need to have your sponsor land with you , also outland is not required to have lived together in Canada so why all the questions.

mn096104

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
taffy7 said:
What a nasty person . Obviously he didn't understand the meaning of landing with your corp . As others have said when outland application you don't need to have your sponsor land with you , also outland is not required to have lived together in Canada so why all the questions.
Apparently cbsa has been enjoying hiring certain type person to constantly remind PPL their authority and rights.......