+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Book Publisher/author looking to immigrate

bookpublisher

May 5, 2017
Hi all, I'm a published author (20 books + 1000 magazine articles around the globe). I also own a book publishing firm that publishes authors internationally (we are publishing a Canadian children's author right now). I would like to immigrate to Canada from the USA and run my business from Canada. 90% of what I do is done online (via e-mail/skype with my printers, editors, graphics people and authors who own their own businesses around the world). I would be coming with my husband who is a British citizen. No kids. I own my home (no mortgage), own my vehicles (no loans), we own about 17 additional pieces of property in the USA that we are preparing to sell ahead of the move. Can anyone advise me as to what program I should explore for immigrating into Canada as a PR. I am a USA citizen and my hubby is a British citizen with a USA green card that is current and he has been in the USA for the past 20 years. No criminal records. Husband is retired and collecting social security now in the USA (66 years old). I just turned 60 and love my work - no plans to retire anytime soon. THANKS, this is all new to me and I appreciate any insights you can share!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker is likely your best option. Don't go with self-employed, the processing times are extremely long (e.g. 8 years).

I think you'll still have an uphill battle with Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker due to your age. It's a points based system and you'll unfortunately be awarded zero points as a result of your age.

To assess your chances of being successful, calculate how many points you have under Express Entry. If you have 400 points or more - there's a chance. If you have fewer than 400 points - it will likely be difficult to be selected.

Your citizenship really gives you no benefits when it comes to immigrating. You'll follow the same process as anyone else.

Good luck.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One option would be to move to beautiful Point Roberts, Washington, which truly is the geographic oddity of the U.S. and is `across the street' from Vancouver, basically. This would at least get you as close as possible to Canada, while you pursue your options.

Good luck!

bookpublisher

May 5, 2017
Scylla, THANKS for the advise! My hubby has lived, worked and paid taxes in the USA for more than 20 years on a green card. Is that the equivalent in Canada of a PM vs citizenship? Is the express entry program for citizenship or for PM or is there any difference? I have been reading government websites in Canada and it seems very confusing (pm vs citizenship). What are the benefits/downside of one vs. the other? Very confused!

bookpublisher

May 5, 2017
Hi Ponga, Thanks for the tip! I was looking in NB ONLY because there are Canadian banks who also have banks in the USA and because I'm running a business, I need to have banks on both sides of the border. I couldn't find any banks on the West coast that offered the same option. I would much rather live on the West coast but can't find banks that do business in both countries on the west coast.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bookpublisher said:
Scylla, THANKS for the advise! My hubby has lived, worked and paid taxes in the USA for more than 20 years on a green card. Is that the equivalent in Canada of a PM vs citizenship? Is the express entry program for citizenship or for PM or is there any difference? I have been reading government websites in Canada and it seems very confusing (pm vs citizenship). What are the benefits/downside of one vs. the other? Very confused!
Again, your citizenship (and your husband's) make absolutely no difference in the process. You will apply just like anyone else from any corner of the earth - no special process for Americans or Brits.

Immigration is to get permanent residency in Canada (green card). You have to become a PR and then live in Canada for several years before you can apply for citizenship.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bookpublisher said:
Hi Ponga, Thanks for the tip! I was looking in NB ONLY because there are Canadian banks who also have banks in the USA and because I'm running a business, I need to have banks on both sides of the border. I couldn't find any banks on the West coast that offered the same option. I would much rather live on the West coast but can't find banks that do business in both countries on the west coast.
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/cross-border-banking/index.jsp?

http://www.banking.us.hsbc.com/crossborder/default.html

Follow the sunset and head WEST! ;)

bookpublisher

May 5, 2017
Ponga, THANKS for the info. I had looked some time ago and didn't find any cross border banks in WA. THANKS for sharing!