+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bonus Points for Canadian education

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
Hi Guys,

I have a question related to the bonus points for a Canadian education credential in Express Entry. I understand that you will be awarded points for the Canadian education even if you're courses were moved online during Covid if you're degree was completed during the Covid period. But what about the bonus points? They mentioned that distance education should not exceed 50% of your program. For distance education done during Covid, are they awarding points if 50% of it was done in Canada but online?

Because I read somewhere on the governments site that they determine if a program is delivered through distance education based on the issuance of a study permit i.e if the student wasn't issued a study permit, then they would assume its a distance education program that doesn't require the student to come to Canada, and vice versa.

Could someone clarify on this, thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Guys,

I have a question related to the bonus points for a Canadian education credential in Express Entry. I understand that you will be awarded points for the Canadian education even if you're courses were moved online during Covid if you're degree was completed during the Covid period. But what about the bonus points? They mentioned that distance education should not exceed 50% of your program. For distance education done during Covid, are they awarding points if 50% of it was done in Canada but online?

Because I read somewhere on the governments site that they determine if a program is delivered through distance education based on the issuance of a study permit i.e if the student wasn't issued a study permit, then they would assume its a distance education program that doesn't require the student to come to Canada, and vice versa.

Could someone clarify on this, thanks
What are bonus points? Do you meet criteria for your Canadian education during Covid, as stated on IRCC site?

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
The bonus points you earn for a Canadian education in the bonus point section at the bottom where French language and all the other stuff is located.

They mention "Distance learning counts for education points, but not for bonus points in your profile or application. " when you go into the crs tool to enter your education credentials under 4) "What is your level of education?"

So I was wondering if they are also awarding bonus points for a Canadian education where 50% of it was done in Canada but online, because the statement above does not make that clear

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The bonus points you earn for a Canadian education in the bonus point section at the bottom where French language and all the other stuff is located.

They mention "Distance learning counts for education points, but not for bonus points in your profile or application. " when you go into the crs tool to enter your education credentials under 4) "What is your level of education?"

So I was wondering if they are also awarding bonus points for a Canadian education where 50% of it was done in Canada but online, because the statement above does not make that clear
Depends on when you began your studies and your graduation date.

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
I began in Sept 2020 and ended in Apr 2022. But I landed in Canada in May 2021 where some of my courses where still being offered online. So not sure if the bonus points apply in this situation

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
So is the criteria they are applying for the Canadian credential during Covid is also being applied for the additional bonus points? sorry if i'm not getting this

Last edited: