+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BLS ottawa passport renewal, marriage certificate requires authentication?

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hey Guys,

My Indian passport is reaching its expiry soon and I would like to get it reissued, just in case I have to travel in case of emergency.
I am using the BLS website checklist to prepare the documents.
I had got married recently in Canada and one of the requirements on the checklist says that I need to get my marriage certificate attested by DFAIT (Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade). has anyone gone through this procedure before? Please reply, I am in a bind as I think I might have to travel soon due to family emergency in India.
What if I don't want to add my spouse's name on my passport, can I skip this requirement then?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
You can do this.
> Enter your spouse's details on the passport renewal form.
> Provide a copy of your marriage registration.
> Add a cover letter stating that you cannot obtain an attested copy, and if the copy of provided marriage registration is not acceptable, then issue the passport without spouse name endorsed. Sign on cover letter and get your spouse to sign as well.

Based on my experience, they would not make a fuss about it and endorse your spouse name. I recall attestation used to be a requirement few years back. At least on CGI Toronto website, they have updated the information and removed this requirement.