+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Blindness and PR

Discussion in 'General - All Canadian Immigration' started by LuisCruz12, Nov 10, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

  1. Hello

    My name is Luis. I hope someone can help me with my doubts.
    I would like to know if I am eligible for Canadian PR.
    I am blind, almost totally blind (I only see a little of light), and probably will become totally blind. In any case, I regard myself as totally blind, as my sight is useless already.
    I read that, before 2018, it was impossible for a blind person, or a disable person in general, to immigrate to Canada, but that now it is not imposible altogether. However I am not sure yet if I qualify or not.
    I do not understand well this thing about the economical impact, how could I calculate it. My blindness is caused by LCA, a degenerative condition of the retina which does not have a cure, or any kind of treatment, yet, and obviously it is not contagious. So I do not consider that Canada would need to Spend money on me whatsoever. I don't take any medication for my eye condition, and, in general, I don't think that I would need more money than everyone else. Probably the only think in which I spend more mony is technology, as sometimes assistive technology could be expensive. Nevertheless, I buy this things with my own mony.
    I don't know, however, if using services of CNIB represents an economical impact and, if so, how to calculate it.
    I have a bachelor's degree in linguistics, and am planning to study a master's degree in Canada in order to get the postgraduate work permit, work in Canada for some years, and, with that experience, apply for the Canadian Pr.
    But I would like to know if I am eligible for the PR in the ferst place, as studying in Canada is very expensive, and if I am not eligible it does not make any sense to spend that money.
    Of course I am able to work, and will work. the goberment does not need to provide for me.

    Thank you in advance for your help with my questions.

    Best regards
  2. Unfortunately none of us can tell you if you will be able to successfully apply for PR or not. Even without the vision issues, taking a Master's in Canada does not guarantee PR.

    With both the study permit and also PR, I think you can expect CIC to question what excessive demands you may place on the system - in terms of the social services you may use. To the best of my knowledge CNIB provides guidance to those who are visually impaired. However the services themselves are generally government funded social assistance programs. So yes - using these would be relying on government support.

    Again, it's really hard to say and there are no guarantees unfortunately.

    In my opinion the better option might be to complete a Master's in your home country, get a few years of skilled work experience and they apply for PR through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.
    LuisCruz12, canuck78 and PAINKILLER28 like this.
  3. Having used CNIB for a family member they don’t provide free services. Things like magnifiers are multiple thousand of dollars. Luckily veterans affairs covered most of the cost for my grandfather. Who will set up your accommodations and show you the city and campus so you can learn how to get around? Would you need an aide for various things? What about cleaning, cooking, etc.? I know blind people can learn to do many things on their own but they often depend on someone working with them for a long period of time to learn routes, set up apartments, arrange cleaning services, etc. and have someone to help them on a regular basis to help them do things that they may need help with. Who would do these things for you? I also want to be realistic. Getting a job as a disabled individual is difficult. It is easier than in some countries but there is no guarantee you will get a job after a masters that would qualify you for PR. A masters in linguistics doesn’t lead to a direct job. Lots of unemployed or underemployed arts students out there.
    LuisCruz12 likes this.
  4. Thank you very much for your complete answer.

    I understand, so CNIB services are government funded. In that case, I would definitely rely on government support for that, as you said. However, I don't think it would be a large amount of money. I would probably only need their services to learn to travel by my own in winter conditions, and to learn new routes; for example, to go from my home to my university or to my workplace. But of course I am just speculating and might end up needing more services from CNIB. though in any case, I think my CNIB services would be the only economical impact I would represent.
    But I understand that it is not possible to tell if I will success or not.

    The idea of studying a master's degree in Canada was mainly because of the postgraduate work permit, as I thought that having studied and worked in the country would make it more likely to get invited in express entry. But if even getting the study permit would be tricky, I think you might be right that probably studying and getting skilled work experience here in my home country could be a safer option.

    thank you again for your help.

    Best regards
  5. Thank you very much for your complete information.
    Yes, indeed I would need their services to learn how to travel by my own in winter conditions, and to learn routes. But I don't think I would need their help for cleaning or cooking, or various other aspects of independence, as they already taught me those things in my country. But then again, I am just speculating. There might be many thinks that need to be done in a different way in Canada, and I will need their services to learn them.
    With respect to employment, I am sure it will be very hard to get a job, and might end up getting no job at all, though at least there is a slight chance to get one, because in my country, I do not know a single blind person with a decent job, in terms of salary. But I have to acknowledge that I got worried and a bit disapointed when I read the very low percentage of blind people in Canada with a job, not to mension with a skilled job, like scientists. but, as I mentioned, at least there are those fue people with skilled jobs, whereas in my country, as far as I know, it is almost impossible to have a skilled job if you are blind, or disabled.
    But, yes, it is a reallity that getting a job will be a big challenge.
    Well, I am planning to do my master's degree in language teaching, though I know that it will be also hard to get a language teaching job, but I thought that there was a little bit more chances to get this kind of job than being a researcher.

    thanks again

    Best regards
  6. Needing an aide to teach you routes, to find you a place to live, to buy furniture, maybe to shovel,etc. is unlikely to be offered to you as an international student. There is likely limited services and a waiting list for those needing services even if you qualified. Families do a lot of the work. To teach languages in a public institution you’d need a certificate in teaching English as a second language. There isn’t a ton of jobs. Many Canadians go abroad to teach English as a second language. I see a lot of obstacles in your plan. Many linguistics graduates struggle to get jobs. They end up doing jobs not related to linguistics and often government jobs. Getting a government job as a PGWP Is going to be extremely difficult. Canadians and PRs usually have priority and they are guaranteed to be able to remain in Canada.
    LuisCruz12 likes this.
  7. Well, I don't have family there, but I have good friends who have helped me in the past when I went to Canada to study english. But there would be challenges for sure.
    I would teach Spanish, which is my first language. I am interested in a master's degree offered by the University of Calgary in which they prepare you to be a Spanish teacher (or other languages, acording to your choice), among other Spanish-related, possible jobs. However most of those jobs possibilities are government related, so, according to what you are telling me, it would be very hard to get one of those as a PGWP.
    In any case, after the information you guys have given to me, I am considering taking my master's degree here in my country. Probably it is safer to just get prepared here, and apply through express entry, so that if I don't manage to get the PR, I wouldn't have spent all that money on the Canadian Master. But of course, the tricky part will be to get the skilled work experience due to the total lack of employment inclusion for disabled people in my country.
  8. Canada doesn’t have a very large Spanish speaking population or need for a lot of full-time Spanish teachers. Some private schools have Full-rime Spanish teachers although Mandarin is likely the preferred 3rd language these days. There are some foreign affairs jobs that require a 3rd language but that would require you being a Canadian citizen and passing the foreign service tests. There are some resettlement jobs that hire Spanish speakers or hire part-time translators. Many of the resettlement workers are previous refugees since they know the struggles of that population. There are likely some general translation work done perhaps freelance or call-in services. Would really research if there is demand for Spanish teachers or speakers and whether the jobs can be somewhat easily accommodated for a visually impaired people. Without Canadian work experience it is challenging for most newcomers to get a job. A newcomer with a disability would add another hurdle. If a job requires significant or expensive accommodations many employers will unfortunately not be interested. Some other disabilities are easier to accommodate in the workplace like for example if you are in a wheelchair but can easily use a computer. If you have the education and training that would allow you to do many jobs like most of your co-workers. There are not very many blind people applying to immigrate on their own so most on this forum would not know how IRCC would measure the potential medical and social services need and cost.

Share This Page