Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
I doubt CIC people will understand what bit coin is because they are government officers ;D

I don't think you can use it as PoF, but you can cash out bit coins and show that to CIC instead.

limbo

Star Member
Feb 20, 2015
Jaxon911 said:
They can for example, ask I have got ending balance of XYZ as of ABC date, is that correct? Bank would at least say yes or no.
This is false for Canada. A bank doing so would violate PIPEDA.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
limbo said:
@limbo is correct. CIC cannot ask banks to disclose their clients account without a court order.

Unlike some other countries, Canada government does not have ultimate ruling power over the private sector.

DanielFragaBR

Jan 18, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody has a definitive answer about this? As someone wrote before, it's very easy to proof someone controls bitcoins, just by signing a message. Then anyone can verify this message with the signature. Math won't lie.

And if the CIC really doesn't accept Bitcoin, would they accept the statement from a prepaid card?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
In my opinion, any volatile financial instrument (shares/equity/bitcoin etc) cannot be used as a proof of funds for migration to Canada. On the other hand, if these are liquidated, then the proceeds from these instruments can be used as proof of funds.

jassu2

Star Member
Jul 7, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michau said:
Actually, bitcoin has good mechanisms for proof of funds. The balance of every wallet is public for every one to see. And the wallet owner can use his wallet public key to sign a message (like "dear CIC, this is really my wallet") and any other bitcoin user can verify that indeed it was signed by the wallet holder. So the technology for verifying funds are way much better than in case of banks. It's just someone must be knowledgeable enough to know they exist and how to use them.

Now that I find really hard to believe. Disclosing such information by the bank would violate a host of different laws here in Poland, and we're even not close to countries with real bank secrecy like Switzerland. A bank employee telling a total stranger the balance of my account is totally illegal, and if they did it, I would sue them for $$$$$$$$$ and won easily. The bank can tell my account balance to certain officials like DA or tax office, but to CIC? Absolutely no way.
well here the point is asking whether the bank statement is genuine or not.. as simple as tat.. its not asking randomly.. by someone.. for some random persons bank statements..
It is us as candidates furnishing our bank statements to CIC (canada govt) to accept us as immigrants.. canada is not interested in our credit history and stuff like tat.. they are interested to see whether the doc is fraud or not..

same way they can email our university and ask whether so and so student studied or not.. they dont give a damn abt our marks.. just wanna knw genuineness of our documents..
even banks share such information amoung themselves all the time when LC or credit history needs to be chked..

at end of the day.. let us not forget wat snowden showed us..

Jaxon911

Champion Member
Jun 18, 2014
London, UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
PR App 2014-06-23 & Citizenship App Filed in Aug 2022
limbo said:
Ok. However, I have heard banks provide document verification services, i.e. someone can pay bank and send them a document for verification of originality.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Says it all really http://www.businessinsider.com.au/this-tradie-used-an-app-to-convince-a-queensland-court-he-was-a-billionaire-2016-3 nothing to do with Canada but shows how easy must have been to convince Police/ Court in Australia before owning up was a fake statement

Bocekm

Nov 11, 2017
Well, it's been almost two years since the thread was created. Has anybody tried to provide a proof of cryptocurrency holding as a proof of settlement funds to the immigration officer?

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
...doubt that highly..eventually "regulated" banks may provide a section of bitcoin but as of now, I would not remotely take that risk especially with the perceived notion that specific digital currency is generally use on dark net.

...no offense:cool:

thebestapplicant

Mar 26, 2017
Boston, MA
NOC Code......
I'm in the same boat as OP, but I intend to liquidate my cryptos the next week

My concern is how do I convince the cic that these funds are actually mine
Would attaching bank statements indicting deductions from my initial cryto exchange withdrawals work ?

pradeesh

Feb 28, 2018
LANDED..........
July 2018
Hello,

I've gone through the entire collection of threads on this topic and still have a few nagging details that are begging for guidance.

Well, as a relatively new investor in crypto and about to make landing in Canada, how do i declare crypto related investments at the border on landing? Is it compulsory or only necessary when its cashed out only? Is there a right way to do this without being on the wrong side of tax law. Would appreciate some direction in this regard, a quick google search does not yield much help with regards to tax attorneys who help with this kind of advise.

Thank you,

Reactions: airfan

bhp2012

Jun 18, 2018
Hello,

I've gone through the entire collection of threads on this topic and still have a few nagging details that are begging for guidance.

Well, as a relatively new investor in crypto and about to make landing in Canada, how do i declare crypto related investments at the border on landing? Is it compulsory or only necessary when its cashed out only? Is there a right way to do this without being on the wrong side of tax law. Would appreciate some direction in this regard, a quick google search does not yield much help with regards to tax attorneys who help with this kind of advise.

Thank you,
Hi,
Please let us know what happened.‌

Thanks,

airfan

Mar 26, 2018
Hello,

Thank you,
I have the same question/ query. Would appreciate if anyone can help answer this dilema/ query.

pradeesh

Feb 28, 2018
LANDED..........
July 2018
bhp2012, airfan,

In my case during landing, there were no questions really concerning crypto, in fact there were least interested in it given the current market slump and bad press. They asked basic questions regarding cash in hand and any baggage to follow. It was a breeze. But need to get into detail regarding keeping good records while making CRA declarations next year for tax purposes.

Goodluck to you both.