+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bishop's university Computer science for Jan 2021

simransuresh

Aug 17, 2020
How good is Bishop's university for computer science?
Heard that it is a party school.. since I am from a conservative family, will I be able to survive the culture?
What about the time to get acceptance letter/education quality and job prospects?
Getting mixed reviews everywhere. Please help me out!

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
You have the wrong impression.
This is an excellent public university.
Just look at the Maclean's university rankings.
A high percentage of the Computer Science postgrad course of course is Indian nationals.
Postgrads are a small number at this university which comes means some advantages for research opportunites.
You are very late for applying for Winter 21, you need a CAQ which takes between 4 and 14 weeks to come, not a single study permit has been issued for Bishop's in the past 26 weeks.
You will need an acceptance letter and to apply for a CAQ in the next few days to have any chance of being on time for Winter 21.

VamShu

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Is it still open to apply for Masters computer science (Course based) in Bishop's university?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
I
Is it still open to apply for Masters computer science (Course based) in Bishop's university?
I have no idea. Why don't you ask Bishop's? It's quite possible that virtually none of the students (as Indians) have made it to campus. You can see the list of courses offered and if in person or online (nearly all live) by looking on the university's website here.

https://www.ubishops.ca/future-current-students/registration-and-student-records/timetable/fall-semester/

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I applied here last week monday (MSc Computer Science - course based) for Jan 2021.

You first fill a "pre-application" form and they use that to assess you (for free). If you pass, they send a positive recommendation to admissions office (from what i gather, this more or less makes your admission a done deal) and send you an email to put in a formal application for full assessment. This is the email I got from them this morning:

Dear M*******************,

We are pleased to inform you that we are ready to make a
positive recommendation to the Admissions Office in respect to
your application for MSc studies in Computer Science
(course-based) at Bishop's University. Please follow up with the
formal application at your convenience
<http://www.ubishops.ca/future-current-students/admission-process>.

Note that we have already conveyed our recommendation to
Admissions; they will verify the compliance of your file with our
business rules and contact you if further documentation is
needed. Once your file is complete and depending on the other
applications already in the system you may either be admitted
immediately and so issued a official offer letter, or placed on a
waiting list. The waiting list will be evaluated periodically,
and offers will be issued as space in the program becomes
available. One way or another from now on you will hear directly
from the Admissions Office.

Thank you for your interest in our program.

Best regards,
Graduate Coordinator for Computer Science

VamShu

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Ex
I applied here last week monday (MSc Computer Science - course based) for Jan 2021.

You first fill a "pre-application" form and they use that to assess you (for free). If you pass, they send a positive recommendation to admissions office (from what i gather, this more or less makes your admission a done deal) and send you an email to put in a formal application for full assessment. This is the email I got from them this morning:

Dear M*******************,

We are pleased to inform you that we are ready to make a
positive recommendation to the Admissions Office in respect to
your application for MSc studies in Computer Science
(course-based) at Bishop's University. Please follow up with the
formal application at your convenience
<http://www.ubishops.ca/future-current-students/admission-process>.

Note that we have already conveyed our recommendation to
Admissions; they will verify the compliance of your file with our
business rules and contact you if further documentation is
needed. Once your file is complete and depending on the other
applications already in the system you may either be admitted
immediately and so issued a official offer letter, or placed on a
waiting list. The waiting list will be evaluated periodically,
and offers will be issued as space in the program becomes
available. One way or another from now on you will hear directly
from the Admissions Office.

Thank you for your interest in our program.

Best regards,
Graduate Coordinator for Computer Science
I also got this email today. I have submitted formal application same time with pre-application. What are the next steps from our side ?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Once you have you letter of acceptance, you :
1 apply for a CAQ and it's normallly 4 weeks but it took my daughter 13 weeks, horrible, no way of following your file, my daughter had to post her letter of acceptance, and application for CAQ form but maybe they have now moved to modern age and allow you to upload and even follow your file since covid, it does look like finally you can upload everything. It was such a pain having to post stuff.
2 apply for study permit, you cannot do this till you have your CAQ approval letter (the CAQ arrives by post like 3 months later!!!!!). You can however complete the IMM forms in advance (they are horrid to download IMM1294 and the IMM family form), prepare your financial support all together in one single pdf, some people need a Statement of Purpose (motivational) letter, so you can do preparation for the study permit whilst waiting for the CAQ to arrive.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/electronic-services/caq-electronic/index.html

Reactions: VamShu

VamShu

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Once you have you letter of acceptance, you :
1 apply for a CAQ and it's normallly 4 weeks but it took my daughter 13 weeks, horrible, no way of following your file, my daughter had to post her letter of acceptance, and application for CAQ form but maybe they have now moved to modern age and allow you to upload and even follow your file since covid, it does look like finally you can upload everything. It was such a pain having to post stuff.
2 apply for study permit, you cannot do this till you have your CAQ approval letter (the CAQ arrives by post like 3 months later!!!!!). You can however complete the IMM forms in advance (they are horrid to download IMM1294 and the IMM family form), prepare your financial support all together in one single pdf, some people need a Statement of Purpose (motivational) letter, so you can do preparation for the study permit whilst waiting for the CAQ to arrive.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/electronic-services/caq-electronic/index.html
Thank you!
In this case, Letter of acceptance is the offer letter or the letter issued after confirming the offer by paying the fee deposit?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Sorry letter of admision, you have to pay your application fee first, submit your qualifications, then wait for the admissions office to confirm you are accepted for admission and then they email and post the letter of admission to you. It contains the DLI number, program length, level of study, student ID number.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You have the wrong impression.
This is an excellent public university.
Just look at the Maclean's university rankings.
A high percentage of the Computer Science postgrad course of course is Indian nationals.
Postgrads are a small number at this university which comes means some advantages for research opportunites.
You are very late for applying for Winter 21, you need a CAQ which takes between 4 and 14 weeks to come, not a single study permit has been issued for Bishop's in the past 26 weeks.
You will need an acceptance letter and to apply for a CAQ in the next few days to have any chance of being on time for Winter 21.
Hi,
Do you mean he is late for Fall admission? Because they are still accepting application for Winter...

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
It took Bishop's 4 months just to do a letter of admission for my daughter and she had all her grades available.
It will take a minimum of 4 weeks for the CAQ, the usual wait for study permit approval used to be at leasst 4 weeks.
There are only 4 months or 17 weeks before Winter 2021 semester starts.
My daughter has been waiting 48 weeks since she applied to Bishop's already!
It might be cutting it fine for Winter 2021 semester, unless there is a huge change in the time Bishop's takes to issue a letter of admission and unless there is a huge change in study permit approvals.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
It took Bishop's 4 months just to do a letter of admission for my daughter and she had all her grades available.
It will take a minimum of 4 weeks for the CAQ, the usual wait for study permit approval used to be at leasst 4 weeks.
There are only 4 months or 17 weeks before Winter 2021 semester starts.
My daughter has been waiting 48 weeks since she applied to Bishop's already!
It might be cutting it fine for Winter 2021 semester, unless there is a huge change in the time Bishop's takes to issue a letter of admission and unless there is a huge change in study permit approvals.
Thanks. I am considering my options as I have applied to a few schools. With the prevailing situation, it's not likely that we will be able to enter Canada by January anyways - most likely will be subjected to 2-stage processing with AIP as is currently the case.

Are you saying no one has gotten an AIP for Bishop's? You reckon this is specifically due to the school (IRCC intentionally refusing visa for Bishop's applicants?).

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Thanks. I am considering my options as I have applied to a few schools. With the prevailing situation, it's not likely that we will be able to enter Canada by January anyways - most likely will be subjected to 2-stage processing with AIP as is currently the case.

Are you saying no one has gotten an AIP for Bishop's? You reckon this is specifically due to the school (IRCC intentionally refusing visa for Bishop's applicants?).
AIP is not a term used by IRCC ( I heard they use it to talk on their webinars but in all instructions that IRCC use, it is not used)
, if you are meaning first stage of the 2 stage study permit approval, did I mention it anywhere? I do not believe I did.
I have helped you with the normal timeline and have explained the timeline of 48 weeks experienced by my daughter including a 17 week wait for Bishop's to email the letter of admission which I'm quite unhappy about since it could have been given almost immediately so don't expect any efficiency there, my daughter would have been in Quebec now if Bishop's hadn't taken 17 weeks to process her application.

Last edited:

VamShu

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
In which year have your daughter applied?
Currently it’s mentioned on Bishop’s website that they will start processing for winter intake in September and they will take 7-10 business days to process the application once all the documents are received. So, hopefully expecting they may not take more than 2 weeks if all documents are uploaded.