+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birthing in Canada as visitor

Wingk

Feb 22, 2018
My husband is working in Canada leaving me alone in my own country. I just found out that I got pregnant and am wondering if I need to disclose my intent to give birth in Canada while I'm a on visitor status during my visit to my husband. I don't need to apply any visa to visit Canada as a visitor. My husband will apply for PR in the middle of this year but we want the child to be Canadian first.

If our child is born in Canada, with parents being foreign nationals, will that affect our PR application?

Wingk

Feb 22, 2018
I mean do i need to disclose the possibility of giving birth in Canada at the port of entry.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I mean do i need to disclose the possibility of giving birth in Canada at the port of entry.
No you do not need to disclose although I guess if it is pretty obvious you are pregnant then you may get asked additional questions about your stay and will be upto the CBSA officer how long they authorise your stay .

See link below that might answer some questions about birth as a visitor even though the link refers to TRV applications principle same for visa exempts.

Of course as a visitor keep in mind health care costs are your responsibility and hospital costs can be expensive especially given travel insurance will not cover.

As for your PR application giving birth in Canada would give you no additional benefit to your application your child being a citizen at birth. You would still need to qualify for PR as normal regardless of your child’s status.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/persons-wishing-enter-canada-purpose-giving-birth.html

Last edited:

Wingk

Feb 22, 2018
Will the CIC consider us taking short cut by giving birth in Canada and refuse our PR application as a result? Despite any non-residence can give birth in Canada as long as they bear all the financial cost.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes as long as CBSA lets you into the country. Having a child born in Canada does not aasure that you will get PR. You will likely be asked to show a considerable bank account if they notice you are a pregnant and CBSA assumes there is a chance that you may have the baby in Canada. I have heard stories in the lower mainland of people having problems getting OBs if that is where you are planning on moving. If you show up at emergency they will deliver your baby but you may not be able to get good prenatal care until delivery.