+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth of a Baby after COPR

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
I searched right through the forum - and I got nothing that relates to me - I understand everyone has different situations

Background:
Our AOR was of Mar 2021 - we moved to US in June 2021
Informed IRCC about address change
Got pregnant in February - expected data of delivery Dec 2022
Got ADR and remedical request in July
Completed all 3 remedicals (Me, wife and son)
Received PPR yesterday - sent for stamping

Now, assuming our passports will be stamped within the next week or so, what should we do???

Before the questions - we were planning to have baby in US for the following reasons:
  1. Majority of the medical bills are paid and delivery should be technically without any charge now
  2. Cant get healthcare from Canada within 2 months from now (due to the 3 month wait)
  3. Better health priority in US
Questions and suggestions needed:
  1. Should we do soft landing from land in October and then come back in a week and deliver the baby in US in Dec?
    1. How difficult is the process of sponsoring?
    2. I assume, because he/she will have a US passport - we 3 can travel on PR card and he/she on his/her US passport. is that correct?
    3. How long does it take for him/her to be sponsored?
    4. If more than 6 months, what do we do?
    5. Are the charges more than $150 to sponsor him?
    6. Any requirements like job in Canada etc?
  2. Should we wait till the baby is born in US, then gather all his documents and report it to IRCC for him to be added?
    1. Whats the normal processing time on this?
    2. What if till this time we have to move back to our hometown? Would it create any issues, considering the address will change
Honestly, I just dont want to delay the entire processing for any reason, hence thinking of soft landing before baby is born and then continue with his sponsorship later on?

Alongwith the above help, I'm merely looking for someone to talk sense into me :)

Thank you so much for helping with this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I searched right through the forum - and I got nothing that relates to me - I understand everyone has different situations

Background:
Our AOR was of Mar 2021 - we moved to US in June 2021
Informed IRCC about address change
Got pregnant in February - expected data of delivery Dec 2022
Got ADR and remedical request in July
Completed all 3 remedicals (Me, wife and son)
Received PPR yesterday - sent for stamping

Now, assuming our passports will be stamped within the next week or so, what should we do???

Before the questions - we were planning to have baby in US for the following reasons:
  1. Majority of the medical bills are paid and delivery should be technically without any charge now
  2. Cant get healthcare from Canada within 2 months from now (due to the 3 month wait)
  3. Better health priority in US
Questions and suggestions needed:
  1. Should we do soft landing from land in October and then come back in a week and deliver the baby in US in Dec?
    1. How difficult is the process of sponsoring?
    2. I assume, because he/she will have a US passport - we 3 can travel on PR card and he/she on his/her US passport. is that correct?
    3. How long does it take for him/her to be sponsored?
    4. If more than 6 months, what do we do?
    5. Are the charges more than $150 to sponsor him?
    6. Any requirements like job in Canada etc?
  2. Should we wait till the baby is born in US, then gather all his documents and report it to IRCC for him to be added?
    1. Whats the normal processing time on this?
    2. What if till this time we have to move back to our hometown? Would it create any issues, considering the address will change
Honestly, I just dont want to delay the entire processing for any reason, hence thinking of soft landing before baby is born and then continue with his sponsorship later on?

Alongwith the above help, I'm merely looking for someone to talk sense into me :)

Thank you so much for helping with this.
You need to post your question to the Express Entry section of the forum.

Reactions: SamtoCanada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For sponsoring your new born son after soft landing, he can stay for 6 months (US passport) and you can apply to extend his stay as a visitor.
I do not know the timeline for dependent PR application. I believe the cost is more than just $150, you need to also pay for biometric and medical.

There is no exact income requirement amount. But you should show savings and your plan to support the family in Canada.

Reactions: armoured

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
For sponsoring your new born son after soft landing, he can stay for 6 months (US passport) and you can apply to extend his stay as a visitor.
I do not know the timeline for dependent PR application. I believe the cost is more than just $150, you need to also pay for biometric and medical.

There is no exact income requirement amount. But you should show savings and your plan to support the family in Canada.
Thank you for your response.

Do think doing this is a wise decision?

I dont mind paying for medicals and biometric - because I'll have to do it here in the US as well.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I dont mind paying for medicals and biometric - because I'll have to do it here in the US as well.
It really is your choice. I'd note: I do not know the rules for health care for children of PRs where the children do not have status as PRs themselves. I presume in some provinces health care would not be covered, and therefore you really should have health insurance (at your own expense).

Not certain though and again likely depends on province.

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
So my son would have insurance from US for sure - which can be used possibly in Canada - even if it doesnt - I can always go to US to use it.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
I think from your original post you know this, but just to be clear, if you haven't landed before the baby is born you absolutely have to declare baby before you do land (and wait for IRCC to tell you what they need document wise for baby) because if baby has been born but not declared it will cause huge problems, and baby probably can never be sponsored.

Reactions: armoured

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi - I moved here with my spouse and 20 month old daughter. My daughter doesn’t have a PR yet as she was born in the US. My daughter fell sick almost every month after we got here and we had a really tough time finding a pediatrician or any care for that matter. Most don’t accept new patients and the ones that do, need the child to have OHIP. If you have a plan to get your child’s healthcare in US, that’s great. Hope this helps!

Reactions: YVR123

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
I think from your original post you know this, but just to be clear, if you haven't landed before the baby is born you absolutely have to declare baby before you do land (and wait for IRCC to tell you what they need document wise for baby) because if baby has been born but not declared it will cause huge problems, and baby probably can never be sponsored.
thank you for sharing this AND YES - I did read about this case

Reactions: MJSPARV

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Hi - I moved here with my spouse and 20 month old daughter. My daughter doesn’t have a PR yet as she was born in the US. My daughter fell sick almost every month after we got here and we had a really tough time finding a pediatrician or any care for that matter. Most don’t accept new patients and the ones that do, need the child to have OHIP. If you have a plan to get your child’s healthcare in US, that’s great. Hope this helps!
I am sorry to hear about your daughter
Hope she feels better now and all my prayers.

If you could help me with these questions:

1. When did you move?
2. Did you apply for her PR - if yes how soon did you do it?
3. Did you apply for her visa to bring her there or just on the US passport? Do you have 6 month validity and can that be extended?

Finding a Primary care pediatrician is even difficult in US if you are not born here.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
I am sorry to hear about your daughter
Hope she feels better now and all my prayers.

If you could help me with these questions:

1. When did you move?
2. Did you apply for her PR - if yes how soon did you do it?
3. Did you apply for her visa to bring her there or just on the US passport? Do you have 6 month validity and can that be extended?

Finding a Primary care pediatrician is even difficult in US if you are not born here.

Thank you! Sure, I can help with the questions.
1. I moved in April 2022.
2. Not yet! I am still in process of applying. We had a lot going on so never got a chance until now to apply. Now they have changed the application process to online. So I have new questions about filling up the application. Hoping to get help from this forum.
3. You don't need a visa. US passport is enough. At the time we landed, we asked the immigration associate to give us 6 months validity. Her 6 months expires in the next week. We had applied for her "visa extension" 2 months back but still not heard anything back. The processing time for that is 180 days. But I read that she can stay here until a decision has been made about her visit visa even if her current visa is expired.

We never had issues finding a pediatrician for my daughter in US. I guess it depends on the state? But here if you want to go to a pediatrician, you need a "referral letter" from your family doctor which is not easy to get (atleast not my experience). After 6 months we are still trying to figure this stuff out.

Hope this helps!

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Thank you! Sure, I can help with the questions.
1. I moved in April 2022.
2. Not yet! I am still in process of applying. We had a lot going on so never got a chance until now to apply. Now they have changed the application process to online. So I have new questions about filling up the application. Hoping to get help from this forum.
3. You don't need a visa. US passport is enough. At the time we landed, we asked the immigration associate to give us 6 months validity. Her 6 months expires in the next week. We had applied for her "visa extension" 2 months back but still not heard anything back. The processing time for that is 180 days. But I read that she can stay here until a decision has been made about her visit visa even if her current visa is expired.

We never had issues finding a pediatrician for my daughter in US. I guess it depends on the state? But here if you want to go to a pediatrician, you need a "referral letter" from your family doctor which is not easy to get (atleast not my experience). After 6 months we are still trying to figure this stuff out.

Hope this helps!
Awesome answers and really helpful.

Yeah in US we had issues with PCP - though getting other doctors is not an issue.
We hope to be covered with US insurance so worse (i hope it never comes to that)
but we could travel to US for this.

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Awesome answers and really helpful.

Yeah in US we had issues with PCP - though getting other doctors is not an issue.
We hope to be covered with US insurance so worse (i hope it never comes to that)
but we could travel to US for this.
That's great to have a backup insurance in US.
Also I would recommend you look up family doctors or walk-ins here for getting your child's vaccinations. I know there is time for you but I learnt that it's best to have this info on hand. We did this stuff after moving here so it was a bit challenging. But having the info in advance would have helped for sure.