+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth After Landing

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Hi,

I am (The sponsor, Husband) on the final stage of my family (Wife) sponsorship. Currently, my wife is pregnant in her 15th week (as of today's date).

We are planning to have the delivery in Canada, so we would like to know:

1) When shall our Health Insurance start (we will be eligible) after my wife's landing?

2) Are we covered with the delivery (birth) costs if the birth is timed post landing in few days/weeks?

3) Usually, what are the costs (Estimates) involved in normal delivery of child?

4) Any recommendations (Do's and Don'ts) to be considered?

thanks
regards,
O

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Health Insurance is a provincial program and varies greatly, which province will you be in? I've seen someone post $5,000 or so, but then there are mid-wives that will assist for a fraction of the cost, or even free. Once the baby is born here, he or she is automatically eligible for Health care as a Canadian citizen.

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
tender_heart said:
Hi,

I am (The sponsor, Husband) on the final stage of my family (Wife) sponsorship. Currently, my wife is pregnant in her 15th week (as of today's date).

We are planning to have the delivery in Canada, so we would like to know:

1) When shall our Health Insurance start (we will be eligible) after my wife's landing?

2) Are we covered with the delivery (birth) costs if the birth is timed post landing in few days/weeks?

3) Usually, what are the costs (Estimates) involved in normal delivery of child?

4) Any recommendations (Do's and Don'ts) to be considered?

thanks
regards,
O
I know some provinces will go back a few months back from the day your health coverage commences as long as you are here legally and talk to them about it!!Congrats on the pregnancy

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I just spoke to a Service Ontario agent as our "landing" is coming soon and I thought but couldn't find the 3-month requirement online. There most definitely IS a 3-month waiting period for getting a Health card in Ontario.

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the prompt responses and warm wishes.

I've landed in (Federal-Ontario), Currently, I am living in Montreal, QC; and, my wife sponsorship case is through Montreal as well. Does it make a difference?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
I just spoke to a Service Ontario agent as our "landing" is coming soon and I thought but couldn't find the 3-month requirement online. There most definitely IS a 3-month waiting period for getting a Health card in Ontario.
Here it is:

Code:
With the waiting period, when am I eligible for OHIP coverage?
a) If you move to Ontario from another country:

The waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. If you are an eligible temporary resident, such as a foreign worker who meets the citizenship and residence requirements described in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, the waiting period begins on the date you establish residence in Ontario.

Your coverage begins when the waiting period ends - after three calendar months.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_waiting_pd.aspx

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tender_heart said:
Thanks for the prompt responses and warm wishes.

I've landed in (Federal-Ontario), Currently, I am living in Montreal, QC; and, my wife sponsorship case is through Montreal as well. Does it make a difference?
Take a look at: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/choose-quebec/daily-life/health/ and http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/sujets/organisation/ssss_enbref/index.php?accueil_en

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks OhCanadiana,

I am still not able to get a straight inputs on the coverage for pregnancy!

Would you advice on the best option to arrange for the birth (cost efficient)? any sort of cost breakdown?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you are settling in Quebec: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/choose-quebec/daily-life/health/index.html

Health Insurance Plan eligibility
The health insurance card enables you to receive health care—medical services and hospitalization—covered by the Québec Health Insurance Plan.

Individuals settling in Québec are generally covered by the plan after a three-month waiting period following their registration with the RAMQ. Certain individuals are exempt from this waiting period. The RAMQ will inform you if the exemption applies to you or any member of your family. Persons subject to a waiting period must pay all costs for health services received during this period or take out private insurance.

However, certain health care services may be provided free of charge during the waiting period: services related to pregnancy or required by victims of violence, as well as services for individuals suffering from an infectious disease that could affect public health.

Immigrants coming from countries that have a reciprocity agreement on social security with Québec are generally exempt from the waiting period. Where applicable, proof of insurance from the social security plan of the country of origin will be required when registering with the RAMQ. Countries that have reached such an agreement with Québec are Denmark, Finland, France (submit the form SE-401-Q-207), Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal and Sweden.

So Quebec does have a 3-month waiting period, but it sounds like there are several ways to get around this and have coverage immediately for a pregnancy. The best advise here is to simply call the Quebec health insurance phone number, and simply ask.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
tender_heart said:
Average cost is $10,000. according to this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/02/24/bc-motelbaby.html

It could be cheaper if it is a simple birth, or a lot more expensive if their are complications.