+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics

May 13, 2020
Hi,
My work visa got expired on 16 Oct 2019 and I applied for an extension on paper on 12th OCT, my employer applied for my LMIA on the 4th of OCT it came on the 7th of Feb 2020 but my paper application got rejected on 23rd of January 2020. I applied for my work permit extension on the 12th of February with a positive LMIA. Now they asked for biometrics but all the offices are closed. I am in NWT and not working. I don't know how to survive because can't leave the country without work permits and can't apply for CERB due to my status. Do you have any information that when service Canada will be open for biometrics? (I am still in Canada)
//

/

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
My work visa got expired on 16 Oct 2019 and I applied for an extension on paper on 12th OCT, my employer applied for my LMIA on the 4th of OCT it came on the 7th of Feb 2020 but my paper application got rejected on 23rd of January 2020. I applied for my work permit extension on the 12th of February with a positive LMIA. Now they asked for biometrics but all the offices are closed. I am in NWT and not working. I don't know how to survive because can't leave the country without work permits and can't apply for CERB due to my status. Do you have any information that when service Canada will be open for biometrics?
What did your refusal in Jan say regarding your status expiry date? Did you apply for Restoration in Feb?

You can certainly leave the country. No one knows when Service Canada will open.

May 13, 2020
It was due to LIMA. It came late. If I leave the country It will be a problem. Yes, I did apply for restoration.

Last edited:

RK2017

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Calgary
Job Offer........
Yes
If Services Canada are closed cant we go to POE(port of entry) for giving the Biometrics?
I am in Montreal and applied for Work Permit extention. I have requested to give biometrics but all the SCOs are closed ..
No one knows when the offices will open.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If Services Canada are closed cant we go to POE(port of entry) for giving the Biometrics?
I am in Montreal and applied for Work Permit extention. I have requested to give biometrics but all the SCOs are closed ..
No one knows when the offices will open.
No, you can't go to the border for biometrics.

May 13, 2020
If I will leave, how would I come back? It would take much longer than inside Canada. My visit visa also got expired and very.

thursd

Apr 12, 2020
Does anyone know if you must give biometrics in the country where you applied for work permit? I'm currently applying from the US, and I was thinking of flying to Asia just to give biometrics (because I can enter one of the countries where VACs are open and taking biometrics appointments). I must leave the US by the end of June, and no one knows if the VACs in the US will reopen soon (and even if they do, there would be a backlog of appointments..). Can one do that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does anyone know if you must give biometrics in the country where you applied for work permit? I'm currently applying from the US, and I was thinking of flying to Asia just to give biometrics (because I can enter one of the countries where VACs are open and taking biometrics appointments). I must leave the US by the end of June, and no one knows if the VACs in the US will reopen soon (and even if they do, there would be a backlog of appointments..). Can one do that?
You can give biometrics anywhere.

thursd

Apr 12, 2020
You can give biometrics anywhere.
That's really great to know! I think it might be realistically a quicker way to get my work permit, even with the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon entry into the country before I can go to the VAC to give biometrics, than to wait until the VACs in the US to reopen and clear a (potentially massive) backlog of appointments. Thank you so much for your response! Much appeciated.

This got me thinking though.. can I apply from the US but fly from some other country to enter Canada? Or must you enter Canada from the country you applied from?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's really great to know! I think it might be realistically a quicker way to get my work permit, even with the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon entry into the country before I can go to the VAC to give biometrics, than to wait until the VACs in the US to reopen and clear a (potentially massive) backlog of appointments. Thank you so much for your response! Much appeciated.

This got me thinking though.. can I apply from the US but fly from some other country to enter Canada? Or must you enter Canada from the country you applied from?
Canada doesn't care where you enter from.

Reactions: thursd