+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics / Medical check timing

drimdrimler

Jun 10, 2019
My wife and I are residents of South Korea. I'm a Canadian citizen intending to sponsor her and my step-son for permanent residency.

My question concerns when I should start submitting paperwork. I know that after we submit our initial forms etc we will get a letter telling us that they need to go and provide biometric data, and then later medical checks. Is there a deadline on when they need to have the checks done, or does the application just sit in limbo until we submit those documents?

The problem is that my step-son is currently doing his mandatory military service here in Korea. He will be done in October, but until then he understandably doesn't have the freedom/flexibility to just take off for a day to go to the VAC or the doctor's office. He can try and schedule a day off, but he needs to do that a month or so in advance, so if we get the letter and it says it "must" be done by whenever he probably won't be able to comply if the date is too close.

If we miss a deadline does the whole application get tossed, or does it go to the bottom of the pile until we get around to submitting it? Are we better off just to wait and submit our initial application in September since he should be out before deadlines are an issue rather than July as we'd hoped?

Thanks for any info.

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019
My wife and I are residents of South Korea. I'm a Canadian citizen intending to sponsor her and my step-son for permanent residency.

My question concerns when I should start submitting paperwork. I know that after we submit our initial forms etc we will get a letter telling us that they need to go and provide biometric data, and then later medical checks. Is there a deadline on when they need to have the checks done, or does the application just sit in limbo until we submit those documents?

The problem is that my step-son is currently doing his mandatory military service here in Korea. He will be done in October, but until then he understandably doesn't have the freedom/flexibility to just take off for a day to go to the VAC or the doctor's office. He can try and schedule a day off, but he needs to do that a month or so in advance, so if we get the letter and it says it "must" be done by whenever he probably won't be able to comply if the date is too close.

If we miss a deadline does the whole application get tossed, or does it go to the bottom of the pile until we get around to submitting it? Are we better off just to wait and submit our initial application in September since he should be out before deadlines are an issue rather than July as we'd hoped?

Thanks for any info.
You get 30 days from the day you receive your letter to get Biometrics and Medicals done. The application does sit in limbo until you complete them (except Background check going on if your GCKey account says its in progress). You can request to extend your 30 day deadline with adequate and valid proof that shows why the person can’t do it in 30 days. You can write to them via webform service and upload that proof. Although, do note you getting an extension is entirely upto them though based on your proof.

If you miss a deadline (have not informed them of extension), the application can be refused on grounds of failure to comply with requests. You need to make the decision on when to apply for yourself. You definitely can apply in July and request the extension of deadline (again, that depends on your proof and discretion of the officer) or be certain that your step son gets free in September and then apply.

EDIT: Also you stated, your step son needs to apply one month in advance for days off but do note you would have to coordinate accordingly with the VAC as well as authorised panel physicians in your city on when you get an appointment and then apply. So if it takes a month to get a day off and you are getting an appointment say in 2 weeks that will become a problem. Additionally, its not compulsory that both the medicals and biometrics request come simultaneously so your step son would need leaves on different days to complete them if the request dates are far apart and when you get appointments.

Last edited:

drimdrimler

Jun 10, 2019
You get 30 days from the day you receive your letter to get Biometrics and Medicals done. The application does sit in limbo until you complete them (except Background check going on if your GCKey account says its in progress). You can request to extend your 30 day deadline with adequate and valid proof that shows why the person can’t do it in 30 days. You can write to them via webform service and upload that proof. Although, do note you getting an extension is entirely upto them though based on your proof.

If you miss a deadline (have not informed them of extension), the application can be refused on grounds of failure to comply with requests. You need to make the decision on when to apply for yourself. You definitely can apply in July and request the extension of deadline (again, that depends on your proof and discretion of the officer) or be certain that your step son gets free in September and then apply.

EDIT: Also you stated, your step son needs to apply one month in advance for days off but do note you would have to coordinate accordingly with the VAC as well as authorised panel physicians in your city on when you get an appointment and then apply. So if it takes a month to get a day off and you are getting an appointment say in 2 weeks that will become a problem. Additionally, its not compulsory that both the medicals and biometrics request come simultaneously so your step son would need leaves on different days to complete them if the request dates are far apart and when you get appointments.
That about what I expected. Sounds like holding off a few months is the safer/simpler play. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Krissh2179