Biometrics letter and nationality

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation before and whether they have any advice...I am a dual national (both my nationalities have been declared on the application form and both passports uploaded). I know IRCC guidelines state that only one travel document must be used throughout the application process and this is what I have been doing so far.

Last month I received my biometrics letter and on it only my other nationality is mentioned. Now...I'm aware I must keep using the same passport for identification as before, but am worried that this will create confusion at the VAC. I already contacted IRCC via a webform and their reply only said that my message was forwarded to the responsible office. Have not heard anything back since.

My biometrics appointment is 2 weeks away (I wanted to schedule it early because I'm worried about a new lockdown). I will try call IRCC next week as well, but was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation before and is happy to advise. Thanks so much in advance!

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
just sharing my thoughts, bring both passports. Your BIL would have the passport number that you used for your application, VAC would be looking for that. So present that first. In case they’d be looking for the other one just show it. As long as your BIL has the same UCI, application number and passport number, I think you should fine.

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
just sharing my thoughts, bring both passports. Your BIL would have the passport number that you used for your application, VAC would be looking for that. So present that first. In case they’d be looking for the other one just show it. As long as your BIL has the same UCI, application number and passport number, I think you should fine.
Thanks so much for replying :) Definitely planning on bringing both passports. But I cannot see a passport number on my BIL (or on my husband's one), is that included? I can see the UCI and application numbers, as well as an IRCC number towards the bottom.

I have uploaded both passports to my application, but have only been using one of them for identification during my language tests and my medical exam. Pretty sure I need to keep using the same one for identification (the BIL even has a section at the bottom advising that applicants with multiple citizenships need to use the same travel document throughout the process).

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thanks so much for replying :) Definitely planning on bringing both passports. But I cannot see a passport number on my BIL (or on my husband's one), is that included? I can see the UCI and application numbers, as well as an IRCC number towards the bottom.

I have uploaded both passports to my application, but have only been using one of them for identification during my language tests and my medical exam. Pretty sure I need to keep using the same one for identification (the BIL even has a section at the bottom advising that applicants with multiple citizenships need to use the same travel document throughout the process).
Oops, sorry my bad. I looked at my BIL and there are no passport numbers also. I must be seeing things. Anyhow, the BIL says to bring the passport you referenced in your application, so just show that one first.

Reactions: Jo1984

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Oops, sorry my bad. I looked at my BIL and there are no passport numbers also. I must be seeing things. Anyhow, the BIL says to bring the passport you referenced in your application, so just show that one first.
Will do, thanks so much!

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi Jo, how did you get on? I'm in the same situation but don't have my second passport with me. Did they need to see both?

Thanks
Hi

No, they did not ask to see both. I went there and showed them the passport I wanted to use for my application. They did not comment so, just to be sure, I mentioned that the biometrics letter had my other nationality on it, but that the passport I gave them was the one I'd been using for all my application appointments up to that point.

They said that was fine and that I should use whichever passport I mentioned in my application form. I said I mentioned both passports and nationalities on my application. They were not aware that was possible and just said that the application format must have changed.

And that was that. No problems. Hope all goes well for you as well and just ask if you have more questions :)

astar33

Dec 17, 2020
Hi

No, they did not ask to see both. I went there and showed them the passport I wanted to use for my application. They did not comment so, just to be sure, I mentioned that the biometrics letter had my other nationality on it, but that the passport I gave them was the one I'd been using for all my application appointments up to that point.

They said that was fine and that I should use whichever passport I mentioned in my application form. I said I mentioned both passports and nationalities on my application. They were not aware that was possible and just said that the application format must have changed.

And that was that. No problems. Hope all goes well for you as well and just ask if you have more questions :)
Awesome, thanks! I went in today and they did ask about my nationality but I just explained I was a dual citizen and had applied on the other passport and they were fine with that :)

To help folks in similar situations find this post: dual citizen biometrics letter. Wrong nationality on biometrics letter. Different passport to biometrics invitation...

DaporDapor

Star Member
Sep 5, 2020
Hi guys!
I don't have the exact situation, but maybe you can help me. In my BIL my name is mentioned first and last name because I made the mistake of only including my first name in the given name section and didn't include my middle name. However my passport and all my documents have my full name. From your experience with the biometric office how did they went through the ID process?

astar33

Dec 17, 2020
Hi guys!
I don't have the exact situation, but maybe you can help me. In my BIL my name is mentioned first and last name because I made the mistake of only including my first name in the given name section and didn't include my middle name. However my passport and all my documents have my full name. From your experience with the biometric office how did they went through the ID process?
I think you'll be fine. They already have copies of your passport from your original application, so they just need to check that the passport you present matches. The letter was only used to scan the barcode and check my postcode.

Reactions: DaporDapor