+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics in Canada or US?

yushistanley

Sep 16, 2019
Hi,

I am a Japanese citizen who applied to be sponsored by my common-law partner (Canadian). I currently live and work in Canada on a temporary work visa. I got my biometrics request letter which states that I have to leave the country to do my biometrics. Looking at the ASC locations in the US, they say that I "already have to be legally in the US" in order to do my biometrics there. Does this mean that I can't do my biometrics in Canada OR the US? So my closest option will be to fly to Mexico City just to get my biometrics? Please let me know if there is a way around this to get it done in the country. I imagine many people are in the same situation, and it just seems unreasonable that we can't do it in the country. Thank you so much.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I am a Japanese citizen who applied to be sponsored by my common-law partner (Canadian). I currently live and work in Canada on a temporary work visa. I got my biometrics request letter which states that I have to leave the country to do my biometrics. Looking at the ASC locations in the US, they say that I "already have to be legally in the US" in order to do my biometrics there. Does this mean that I can't do my biometrics in Canada OR the US? So my closest option will be to fly to Mexico City just to get my biometrics? Please let me know if there is a way around this to get it done in the country. I imagine many people are in the same situation, and it just seems unreasonable that we can't do it in the country. Thank you so much.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/where-to-give-biometrics.asp

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
You can do your biometrics in the US as long as you are legally allowed to be in the US, you don't have to already be there. So if you need a visa to enter the US, you have to get one, visiting just to do your biometrics doesn't exempt you from that requirement.

yushistanley

Sep 16, 2019
You can do your biometrics in the US as long as you are legally allowed to be in the US, you don't have to already be there. So if you need a visa to enter the US, you have to get one, visiting just to do your biometrics doesn't exempt you from that requirement.
Thank you for your reply! I am from Japan (Visa waived country) so I should be able to just enter as a visitor and go to an ASC then.
My other question is - when trying to make an appointment at Seattle ASC, it asks for a 13 digit IRCC number, which I believe I don't have. Is this specific to US-based applicants? How can I make an appointment?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One other thing is that you must not mention that you are going to the US to do your biometrics. You would want to take a day or weekend trip and just happen to do your biometrics while you are visiting.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Thank you for your reply! I am from Japan (Visa waived country) so I should be able to just enter as a visitor and go to an ASC then.
My other question is - when trying to make an appointment at Seattle ASC, it asks for a 13 digit IRCC number, which I believe I don't have. Is this specific to US-based applicants? How can I make an appointment?
The IRCC number should be on your biometric request letter