+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics for PR Residency

Tanvi Arora

Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone I have a query if anyone can please help. I got biometrics request for my PR residency can I use those for Visitor Visa which I have applied earlier. How can I update IRCC? Thank You.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone I have a query if anyone can please help. I got biometrics request for my PR residency can I use those for Visitor Visa which I have applied earlier. How can I update IRCC? Thank You.
You can try submitting a webform or contacting the visa application centre to see if they will use your previous.

BUT: they mostly are recognising there is a current valid one automatically, and it might take a long time to get an appropriate response from IRCC. (It's also possible the visa application centre knows nothing about existing biometric profiles and their validity, I don't know).

So if not terribly inconvenient, you may be better off just submitting new biometrics.

Tanvi Arora

Feb 3, 2021
I would have submitted a new one but thing is biometrics in India are closed for visitor visa and only open for Family Class Sponsorship.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would have submitted a new one but thing is biometrics in India are closed for visitor visa and only open for Family Class Sponsorship.
Sorry, but your response does not make sense. Were you asked to submit biometrics for family sponsor residency or TRV?

Schuffi

Jan 22, 2021
I’m pretty sure biometrics for a visitor visa is not valid for PR. My wife had her work permit extended and got an email saying her biometrics are valid for 10 years for visitor records etc but not pr.

Tanvi Arora

Feb 3, 2021
Sorry, but your response does not make sense. Were you asked to submit biometrics for family sponsor residency or TRV?
Hi.. I was asked earlier like 10 days ago to submit biometrics for TRV but in India biometrics were closed for TRV but now I am asked biometrics for family Sponsor Residency. Earlier I wasn’t able to give biometrics for TRV. My question was that Now I will be giving biometrics for Family sponsorship and if that can be used for TRV. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi.. I was asked earlier like 10 days ago to submit biometrics for TRV but in India biometrics were closed for TRV but now I am asked biometrics for family Sponsor Residency. Earlier I wasn’t able to give biometrics for TRV. My question was that Now I will be giving biometrics for Family sponsorship and if that can be used for TRV. Thank you.
Okay - when you wrote earlier "I got biometrics request for my PR residency can I use those for Visitor Visa which I have applied earlier" - you meant that you wanted them to use the biometrics for your TRV application, which biometrics you also did not give?

You can see, perhaps, that your explanation is confusing? You would either have to give biometrics for one, or both, of your pending applications, and haven't given them at all?

Strangely, they still seem to require them.

The answer to your question, to the extent I understand your question, is: usually IRCC requires separate biometrics for all PR applicants. During covid, they have announced that they will use biometrics given previously for other purposes such as TRV for PR - this is a temporary measure.

But those that have never given biometrics will still need to give them, both for TRV and for PR.

So those that have never given biometrics and have applied for PR and TRV, will have to give them.

If they can't given them because the centres are closed, they'll either wait or - better- write and tell them why so that there's no confusion.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I’m pretty sure biometrics for a visitor visa is not valid for PR. My wife had her work permit extended and got an email saying her biometrics are valid for 10 years for visitor records etc but not pr.
During Covid if you have given biometrics within the last 10 years you do not have to do it again for a PR application.