+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics for citizenship applicants

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
On IRCC's website it's said that Service Canada resumed giving biometric services by appointment, but there is no mention to citizenship applicants. Only permanent resident applicants are mentioned. Has anyone received a letter to do the biometrics for their citizenship application?

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On IRCC's website it's said that Service Canada resumed giving biometric services by appointment, but there is no mention to citizenship applicants. Only permanent resident applicants are mentioned. Has anyone received a letter to do the biometrics for their citizenship application?
Its only requested for a handful of applicants on a case by case basis.

sparkling123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Are you saying it's not mandatory? Because I also read that only those who gave their biometrics in the last 10 years are exempted.
Are the people who are exempt from giving biometrics for citizenship the ones who had already given biometrics for their PR applications? In my case, I never had to provide biometrics for my PR application because at that time, people applying from within Canada were exempt. However, right now, they are not exempt unless they had provided biometrics within the last 10 years. So, by that logic, I'd probably get a biometric request wouldn't I?

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are the people who are exempt from giving biometrics for citizenship the ones who had already given biometrics for their PR applications? In my case, I never had to provide biometrics for my PR application because at that time, people applying from within Canada were exempt. However, right now, they are not exempt unless they had provided biometrics within the last 10 years. So, by that logic, I'd probably get a biometric request wouldn't I?
Prior to 2017 there was no biometrics for PR applicants I believe, I am in the same boat. However I know some people who landed 2012-2017 with no biometrics and got their citizenship recently. Recently a colleague of mine who landed in 2016 with her spouse and kid got her citizenship, no biometrics requested. From what I understand it is case by case.

sparkling123

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Prior to 2017 there was no biometrics for PR applicants I believe, I am in the same boat. However I know some people who landed 2012-2017 with no biometrics and got their citizenship recently. Recently a colleague of mine who landed in 2016 with her spouse and kid got her citizenship, no biometrics requested. From what I understand it is case by case.
Yeah, I applied for PR in 2017, and at that time no biometrics were needed for in-Canada applicants. Let's see what happens.

Reactions: royce110