+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6, Messages between the HoC and the Senate, FACTS ONLY

WeazyF

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
_MK_ said:
They will debate the amendments in HoC. The amendments can be accepted/rejected/modified. There can be no new amendments. The liberals control the house and the MPs vote along party lines so whatever the government/minister wants to do, thats what they will do. There are no 3 readings in either houses at this stage.

If modified/rejected, it goes back to the senate for their approval and they can modify/reject or accept.

This process goes on until both houses accept the entire thing. Usually if HoC modifies/rejects any amendments, the senate agrees with it. In some cases they might not but this process does not take too long and they send messages back and forth ( we are talking few weeks here).

Then it goes to the governor generals office to become law.

The main thing to look for is if the MPs and senators are actively working on it and they are at this moment which is a good sign.

I hope you know you havent answered my simple question? Spyfy this is still yours to consider, are there 4 stages to the debate of the amendments in the HOC.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
WeazyF said:
I hope you know you havent answered my simple question? Spyfy this is still yours to consider, are there 4 stages to the debate of the amendments in the HOC.
Actually I think _MK_ answered it. He/She said "There are no 3 readings in either houses at this stage."

This is correct. There is only one stage in the HoC. It will go like this:
- The Government will make up their mind about these amendments. It is mostly the length of this stage which we don't know about.
- The Leader of the Government in the House of Commons will then put a motion on the Order paper according to the Government's opinion (e.g. "reject this one, accept that one..."). It will be one motion for all the amendments.
- Soon after, the motion will be put on the projected business and discussed in the HoC
- The HoC will vote and it would be very unlikely for them not to simply vote in favour of the Government's position since the HoC votes along party lines.
- So there is only this one single stage the bill has to clear in HoC.
- It would then go back to the Senate in case the HoC didn't accept all amendments. In the Senate, there will also just be one single stage.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
spyfy said:
Actually I think _MK_ answered it. He/She said "There are no 3 readings in either houses at this stage."

This is correct. There is only one stage in the HoC. It will go like this:
- The Government will make up their mind about these amendments. It is mostly the length of this stage which we don't know about.
- The Leader of the Government in the House of Commons will then put a motion on the Order paper according to the Government's opinion (e.g. "reject this one, accept that one..."). It will be one motion for all the amendments.
- Soon after, the motion will be put on the projected business and discussed in the HoC
- The HoC will vote and it would be very unlikely for them not to simply vote in favour of the Government's position since the HoC votes along party lines.
- So there is only this one single stage the bill has to clear in HoC.
- It would then go back to the Senate in case the HoC didn't accept all amendments. In the Senate, there will also just be one single stage.
Spyfy could you please clarify one thing for me: If both Senate and the House finally accept the bill, does it still need to go to the Prime Minister's desk for him to sign it into law? (I mean before it goes to the Governor General's office). Can he veto the bill if he does not agree with one of the amendments? Thanks!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
747-captain said:
Spyfy could you please clarify one thing for me: If both Senate and the House finally accept the bill, does it still need to go to the Prime Minister's desk for him to sign it into law? (I mean before it goes to the Governor General's office). Can he veto the bill if he does not agree with one of the amendments? Thanks!
No, the prime minister does not have veto power over laws. Constitutionally speaking he only advises the Queen (or her representative, the Governor-General) on governing. Furthermore, the Prime Minister (or his Office) is not part of the Parliament of Canada. The Parliament of Canada consists of three entities: The HoC, The Senate, The Queen. These three have to agree to laws. So after Senate and HoC agreed on the same version of the bill, it goes right to the GG who then gives royal assent. And he always gives it. Literally always. In the modern age at least.

naturalca

Mar 24, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
C-4 is making progress now but C-6...
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=NoticeOrder&Mode=1&Language=E&Parl=42&Ses=1&File=13

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
C-4 moved to monday

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=NoticeOrder&Mode=1&Language=E&Parl=42&Ses=1&File=13

No programme for C-6 yet

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Please stop updating on C-4. It is a different bill. Somehow there is this misbelief here that got created that these two bills are related. There is no FACTual connection between these two bills. It's totally made up. One is about labour unions, the other is about citizenship. The only thing they have in common is that they are bills amended by the Senate. There are many other such bills. It has nothing to do with C-6.

Therefore, don't mention C-4 here. Thanks.

Lasso

Aug 15, 2016
spyfy said:
Please stop updating on C-4. It is a different bill. Somehow there is this misbelief here that got created that these two bills are related. There is no FACTual connection between these two bills. It's totally made up. One is about labour unions, the other is about citizenship. The only thing they have in common is that they are bills amended by the Senate. There are many other such bills. It has nothing to do with C-6.

Therefore, don't mention C-4 here. Thanks.
Dear spyfy,
You are a valued member of this forum, and I truly appreciate your contribution!
Could you please elaborate more about "Every day of residence before PR counts as half a day of residence (for up to 730 half days = 365 full days), this is still the case."

Best,
Thanks
+1

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Lasso said:
Dear spyfy,
You are a valued member of this forum, and I truly appreciate your contribution!
Could you please elaborate more about "Every day of residence before PR counts as half a day of residence (for up to 730 half days = 365 full days), this is still the case."

Best,
Thanks
+1
If within the five years of your application date, you were present in Canada not as a PR but as a student, temporary worker,... then count those days.
- Say you were in Canada for 400 days as a non-PR, then they are counted as 200 days (half the amount!) for your residency days.
- If you have 700 such days, you can count them as 350 days of residence.
- But, watch out: If you have 800 such days, you have to cap it at 730 days. Divided by two, that is 365 days = one year. That is the maximum of pre-PR credit that you can get toward the requirement of three years total.

Also, never ever does a day count that is more than five years ago.

Britneywolf

May 3, 2017
Hi Spyfy, very appreciated your effort!
Could I ask you a question? I meet the 3/5 years residence requirement, but not the c-24 4/6 rules until Sep 2017. I am planning to take compassionate leave for grandpa at the other country, probably for 2-3 years.
question: 1) If I didn't get the citizenship, I will lose my pr, do you think the c-6 will be effective this year or should i wait till Sept 2017 to apply under c-24?
2). If under scenario 1, HoC passes and C-6 becomes law, while the implementation process, will C-24 temporarily stop receiving applicants?

Thank you Spyfy, hope you have a great life!!Best regards!!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Britneywolf said:
Hi Spyfy, very appreciated your effort!
Could I ask you a question? I meet the 3/5 years residence requirement, but not the c-24 4/6 rules until Sep 2017. I am planning to take compassionate leave for grandpa at the other country, probably for 2-3 years.
question: 1) If I didn't get the citizenship, I will lose my pr, do you think the c-6 will be effective this year or should i wait till Sept 2017 to apply under c-24?
2). If under scenario 1, HoC passes and C-6 becomes law, while the implementation process, will C-24 temporarily stop receiving applicants?

Thank you Spyfy, hope you have a great life!!Best regards!!
For the first question: I can't tell you when you should apply. You'd have to make that decision based on your own life plans/situation.

For the second question: No they will not stop receiving applicants. They will continue to accept applicants under the 4/6 rule until the 3/5 rule takes effect.

Lasso

Aug 15, 2016
spyfy said:
If within the five years of your application date, you were present in Canada not as a PR but as a student, temporary worker,... then count those days.
- Say you were in Canada for 400 days as a non-PR, then they are counted as 200 days (half the amount!) for your residency days.
- If you have 700 such days, you can count them as 350 days of residence.
- But, watch out: If you have 800 such days, you have to cap it at 730 days. Divided by two, that is 365 days = one year. That is the maximum of pre-PR credit that you can get toward the requirement of three years total.

Also, never ever does a day count that is more than five years ago.
Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
No, no updates. And do not expect one within days. Check back in some weeks. I will not check this forum every single day until C-6 is back on the House's agenda.

So no need to ask for an update every single day. Concentrate on other things in life for a bit, it'll be healthier than checking for an update every day.

Reactions: Ramik

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.