+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Big 4 jobs in Toronto

whatarethose

Jul 23, 2021
Hi I am from Hong Kong and am going to move to Canada, probably Toronto, with an open work permit (which does not require visa sponsorship from employer). I aim to work in a big 4 company (preferrably in audit) after landing. Do audit positions in big 4 Canada prefer graduates with accounting / business background (in Hong Kong they dont put much emphasis on the major) ? Added to this, approximately how many headcounts do they have for graduate recruitment in audit? Here are some of my background information. Thanks a lot in advance!

current status: final year English major undergraduate student in Hong Kong
working experience: about 1 yr (1 big 4 audit internship and 2 accounting companies internships)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are working in the Big 4 (don’t know who the Big 4 are), experience and education in accounting/business most likely be necessary since Toronto is such a small market.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What big 4?
Big 4 = the big four accounting firms. This is a very common term used if you're in financial services.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am from Hong Kong and am going to move to Canada, probably Toronto, with an open work permit (which does not require visa sponsorship from employer). I aim to work in a big 4 company (preferrably in audit) after landing. Do audit positions in big 4 Canada prefer graduates with accounting / business background (in Hong Kong they dont put much emphasis on the major) ? Added to this, approximately how many headcounts do they have for graduate recruitment in audit? Here are some of my background information. Thanks a lot in advance!

current status: final year English major undergraduate student in Hong Kong
working experience: about 1 yr (1 big 4 audit internship and 2 accounting companies internships)
These are extremely competitive positions. Between Canadian graduate and hundreds of thousands of immigrants per year many with CPAs, business degrees, previous accounting experience some at big 4 abroad, etc. the jobs are extremely competitive. Think it’s going to be extremely hard to get recruited with an English degree. Canada is a small market. If you want a better chance you should get recruited and work for a few years in HK at one of the big 4 and see if you can get a transfer.

Reactions: novascotia27

whatarethose

Jul 23, 2021
These are extremely competitive positions. Between Canadian graduate and hundreds of thousands of immigrants per year many with CPAs, business degrees, previous accounting experience some at big 4 abroad, etc. the jobs are extremely competitive. Think it’s going to be extremely hard to get recruited with an English degree. Canada is a small market. If you want a better chance you should get recruited and work for a few years in HK at one of the big 4 and see if you can get a transfer.
Yes this is exactly what I am thinking about. For average people the big4s must prefer hiring local people rather than expats with no prior experience in their country :( Anyway thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
big 4s do more than auditing, but since auditing is their largest source of income, they are often associated with it. Accounting in here I think is just like a general term.
Then why did you say 1 big 4 audit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then why did you say 1 big 4 audit?
This is an extremely well known and frequently used term for those in the industry.

OP is looking for industry advice so makes sense to use an industry term.

Arcu

Star Member
Aug 7, 2023
Yes this is exactly what I am thinking about. For average people the big4s must prefer hiring local people rather than expats with no prior experience in their country :( Anyway thanks!
Hi OP if you are still here could you comment how things went for you, as I am in the a similar situation. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi OP if you are still here could you comment how things went for you, as I am in the a similar situation. Thanks!
Economic situation has changed dramatically so not sure how much hiring is actually happening at the big 4 these days. Would assume they are actually laying people off if anything. Without a transfer I would not count on a job at the big 4 or a bank these days. The one exception is always rare skills. For example if you are an actuary (passed all exams) that is still a relatively rare skillset so there may still be opportunities. Canada is a small market which has had a huge influx of immigrants in the past few years so there is a lot of competition for many of the jobs that are viewed as desirable.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
My big4 experience is technology consulting, I started my career with Big4 outsourcing in Asia, more than 2 decades back.

Yes right now economics has hit the big4 particularly the management/technology consulting businesses within big4. What I have seen traditionally the accounts/Tax audits businesses always need new employees all year round. I have read many articles that AI is taking over a lot of the Audit roles but I'm yet to see that in action. Now on the question on finding jobs, It depends on the job level one is looking for, there will always be Analyst level (under 3 years) and consultant level (under 8 years) openings. Yes number of jobs are lower than usual due to poor economics as Canuck says but there is still a few jobs at-least to replace the churn out. However if one if searching for a Manager/SM/Director level yes the number of openings will be almost none today, often need superb/niche experience/skills and takes many months to even years to get in.

Keep in mind Big4 often try recruit one at a level or 2 below the person's market job level, one of my peers a Sr.Director in a smaller firm was taken as SM in EY last month. He had to woo multiple partners in multiple firms over many coffees, conferences etc... He was doing that for almost a year.

As the Big4 pay is not competitive, work culture needs employee to grind long hours etc... the laidback / easy come /easy go Canadians often don't join or tend to leave after internships. Hence Big4 usually have a large immigrant employee base atleast in the non-government business. Federal work needs citizens, even most province government work need a PR at least often.

My advice for a job seeker is to keep networking with folks 1 or 2 levels above the designation you want to join at. Add them in LinkedIn, ask them out for coffees etc... that is the key to get in and to grow after getting in. Of course the employee you network with has to be a SM or above. often they are only hiring managers.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay