+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BG in Process while test completed - Citizenship Applicants

elfei

Aug 19, 2020
Does anyone know how long does it take that security get completed? I also called IRCC apparently my criminality is done but the security is on process.

Last edited:

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
Called them today and was told my Criminality is passed but Security in progress. AOR January 2023 and Test completed April 2023. How long does it generally take for the security clearance? I also updated my address today as they hadn’t processed the web form. Will this possibly add to the processing time?

elfei

Aug 19, 2020
Called them today and was told my Criminality is passed but Security in progress. AOR January 2023 and Test completed April 2023. How long does it generally take for the security clearance? I also updated my address today as they hadn’t processed the web form. Will this possibly add to the processing time?
when I called them, I was told that it usually takes 4 to 6 month after the test is completed. I think your citizenship application should have been completed by now.Didn’t you ask them about about the timeline for the security clearance?

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
when I called them, I was told that it usually takes 4 to 6 month after the test is completed. I think your citizenship application should have been completed by now.Didn’t you ask them about about the timeline for the security clearance?
Well, according to tracker my test completed May 2023 so I guess I’m still within the timeline. They just say that’s it’s within the 17 month processing timeframe.

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
No I did not and I think I will not, because my criminality is cleared and I am waiting for the clearance of the security screening.
I had FP request and cleared criminality. Usually it seems security takes lot longer. Why is that? Do they look at every foreign trip you’ve made etc? I have a bit of travel history. Do security look at domestic things like bank accounts etc or that is purview of the RCMP?

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
So today I had somebody from IRCC check my LinkedIn. I had called them last week for update since I’m stuck in background check. AOR Jan 2023 and test completed May 2023.

Is this a good sign somebody looking at my profile? Does it mean it’s maybe moving ahead?

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
So today I had somebody from IRCC check my LinkedIn. I had called them last week for update since I’m stuck in background check. AOR Jan 2023 and test completed May 2023.

Is this a good sign somebody looking at my profile? Does it mean it’s maybe moving ahead?

IRCC doesn't conduct background checks (security, criminality). As for LinkedIn, it might be used to address concerns about your physical presence, but it's not a reliable source, so they won't depend on it. It's likely that whoever viewed your LinkedIn profile is not involved with your citizenship application.

Ryan4

Nov 27, 2020

I believe it is good a sign, at least someone is looking at your application and it’s not sitting on some random shelf. However, how did you know that they were from IRCC? I’m actually curious, I wanna know if they checked mine.

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
IRCC doesn't conduct background checks (security, criminality). As for LinkedIn, it might be used to address concerns about your physical presence, but it's not a reliable source, so they won't depend on it. It's likely that whoever viewed your LinkedIn profile is not involved with your citizenship application.
Thanks so much for your response. I had seen online that they sometimes check your LinkedIn etc so I was wondering. I don’t have all of my experiences listed on LinkedIn. Is that a problem if they do check?

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks so much for your response. I had seen online that they sometimes check your LinkedIn etc so I was wondering. I don’t have all of my experiences listed on LinkedIn. Is that a problem if they do check?
While they do verify work experience for economic immigration, this isn't the case for citizenship applications, as it generally doesn't affect the assessment outcome. However, if you indicate that you're working in a different country, that may raise concerns. Generally, everyone has a distinctly optimized LinkedIn profile that may not match the official employment history on their IRCC application. In conclusion, don't worry about it

captainplanetjuniorz

Nov 13, 2023
While they do verify work experience for economic immigration, this isn't the case for citizenship applications, as it generally doesn't affect the assessment outcome. However, if you indicate that you're working in a different country, that may raise concerns. Generally, everyone has a distinctly optimized LinkedIn profile that may not match the official employment history on their IRCC application. In conclusion, don't worry about it

Thank you so much for the reply - this is super helpful! One question - what does “adverse open source information found in the internet” mean? Any simple examples?

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Thank you so much for the reply - this is super helpful! One question - what does “adverse open source information found in the internet” mean? Any simple examples?
I can't think of a specific example because the document doesn't include any details on that matter.