+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Better understanding of "The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay"

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Dear experts and peers,

I just received rejection for TRV (visitor), below is the case history. Applicant is a foreign national and her sister in law (brother's wife of applicant) is pregnant.

1. Applicant (client's sister in law) got refused .

Your proposed length of stay in Canada is inconsistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
(mentioned stay was 8-10 weeks from 10-Mar-2023 to 13-May-2023)

• "You have significant family ties in Canada".

(only brother of applicant is citizen who lives with his wife(PR) , rest all family is in India.

• You do not have significant family ties outside Canada.

(Applicant's husband, older daughter , parents and all are in India) (applicant applied for her younger daughter only(3yrs old) to accompany to Canada , spouse and older daughter did not apply)

• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

One main reason which is common these days for rejection that is "purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent"

Reason for visit given by both applicants:

PA applying for TRV for family reunion and to support my sister-in-law during her pregnancy. PA will also get the time to be a part of baby shower which is planned for 24-Feb-2023.Not to mention on 23-Feb-2023, it’s my brother’s 3rd wedding anniversary. He got married on 23-Feb-2020. Apparently everything was happening at same time.

Please provide any possible feedback to overcome this rejection and if there is any way to go for reconsideration?

Thank you everyone for reading this.

Best regards
Sarbjit

Reactions: PR_aspirent

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear experts and peers,

I just received rejection for TRV (visitor), below is the case history. Applicant is a foreign national and her sister in law (brother's wife of applicant) is pregnant.

1. Applicant (client's sister in law) got refused .

Your proposed length of stay in Canada is inconsistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.
(mentioned stay was 8-10 weeks from 10-Mar-2023 to 13-May-2023)

• "You have significant family ties in Canada".

(only brother of applicant is citizen who lives with his wife(PR) , rest all family is in India.

• You do not have significant family ties outside Canada.

(Applicant's husband, older daughter , parents and all are in India) (applicant applied for her younger daughter only(3yrs old) to accompany to Canada , spouse and older daughter did not apply)

• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

One main reason which is common these days for rejection that is "purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent"

Reason for visit given by both applicants:

PA applying for TRV for family reunion and to support my sister-in-law during her pregnancy. PA will also get the time to be a part of baby shower which is planned for 24-Feb-2023.Not to mention on 23-Feb-2023, it’s my brother’s 3rd wedding anniversary. He got married on 23-Feb-2020. Apparently everything was happening at same time.

Please provide any possible feedback to overcome this rejection and if there is any way to go for reconsideration?

Thank you everyone for reading this.

Best regards
Sarbjit
1) Too long. Ask for 2-3 weeks
2) Yes, significant ties
3) Applicant's sibling is in Canada
4) Probably showing some day to day itinerary and proof of financial resources might help.

Reactions: S.Basra

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
1) Too long. Ask for 2-3 weeks
2) Yes, significant ties
3) Applicant's sibling is in Canada
4) Probably showing some day to day itinerary and proof of financial resources might help.
Thank you very much for the feedback, however
1) Too long. Ask for 2-3 weeks "I was asking for genuine time as delivery itself can be +/-2-3 weeks.
2) Yes, significant ties . I have already answer this in initial letter that PA's one daughter and husband as proactive to this refusal. what else can be done?
3) Applicant's sibling is in Canada. Its only sibling that is in Canada everyone else immediate family, parents, in-laws, childhood friends, any particular recommendation, please
4) Probably showing some day to day itinerary and proof of financial resources might help. No question raised by visa officer about finances. but i will add this as an additional point.

Further, is it bad idea to mention so many occasions , such as to support during pregnancy, baby shower and wedding anniversary?

Thank you very much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for the feedback, however
1) Too long. Ask for 2-3 weeks "I was asking for genuine time as delivery itself can be +/-2-3 weeks.
2) Yes, significant ties . I have already answer this in initial letter that PA's one daughter and husband as proactive to this refusal. what else can be done?
3) Applicant's sibling is in Canada. Its only sibling that is in Canada everyone else immediate family, parents, in-laws, childhood friends, any particular recommendation, please
4) Probably showing some day to day itinerary and proof of financial resources might help. No question raised by visa officer about finances. but i will add this as an additional point.

Further, is it bad idea to mention so many occasions , such as to support during pregnancy, baby shower and wedding anniversary?

Thank you very much
The biggest issue is that it appears that your sister is coming to help your wife because she is pregnant. That can be considered illegal work. There is likely concern that she will stay longer to help with childcare (illegal work) especially since she brought her own child with her. Nobody needs to fly from India to plan/have a baby shower and a sister and her young child don’t celebrate another couple’s wedding anniversary. Is there a reason why your sister needs to be in Canada with her young child? Is your wife in the hospital? On strict bed rest with another young child at home? Why are you not able to help your wife with cooking and cleaning in late stage of pregnancy and after birth? Why does she and her young child need to stay for 8-10 weeks. Have they provided proof of their own funds for the visit? Your sister would have a better chance if she applied without her child and for a shorter stay.

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
The biggest issue is that it appears that your sister is coming to help your wife because she is pregnant. That can be considered illegal work. There is likely concern that she will stay longer to help with childcare (illegal work) especially since she brought her own child with her. Nobody needs to fly from India to plan/have a baby shower and a sister and her young child don’t celebrate another couple’s wedding anniversary. Is there a reason why your sister needs to be in Canada with her young child? Is your wife in the hospital? On strict bed rest with another young child at home? Why are you not able to help your wife with cooking and cleaning in late stage of pregnancy and after birth? Why does she and her young child need to stay for 8-10 weeks. Have they provided proof of their own funds for the visit? Your sister would have a better chance if she applied without her child and for a shorter stay.
Thank you very much these are pretty strong counter question that will help. I agree, baby shower and wedding must have been avoided to put in application. Helping a pregnant family member shouldn't be an issue in my opinion, considering husband and wife are the only member in family and in Canada. Its wife's first pregnancy which can be a little stressful. Neither , it should be considered illegal work, families are there to support each other for time like this, what happens if they need hospitalization at the last minute? You can hire support worker for 24 hrs service where as a family member can be there at your home in need. There i a Doctor's note that is an opinion from the expert in field that pregnant person may need help. Young child coming with sister is 3 yrs old , so young kid may need her mom time time, not to mention other sibling of young child 5 is staying with her dad and grandparents at home.
I really appreciate your input and I have provided my explanation as these were the facts considered when TRV was applied.

Regards,
Sarbjit

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much these are pretty strong counter question that will help. I agree, baby shower and wedding must have been avoided to put in application. Helping a pregnant family member shouldn't be an issue in my opinion, considering husband and wife are the only member in family and in Canada. Its wife's first pregnancy which can be a little stressful. Neither , it should be considered illegal work, families are there to support each other for time like this, what happens if they need hospitalization at the last minute? You can hire support worker for 24 hrs service where as a family member can be there at your home in need. There i a Doctor's note that is an opinion from the expert in field that pregnant person may need help. Young child coming with sister is 3 yrs old , so young kid may need her mom time time, not to mention other sibling of young child 5 is staying with her dad and grandparents at home.
I really appreciate your input and I have provided my explanation as these were the facts considered when TRV was applied.

Regards,
Sarbjit
A friend of mine came alone to Canada for her first pregnancy. No family members was needed, Still don't understand why a sister-in-law is needed.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Family members coming over to help during pregnancy is extremely common and unfortunately open-ended. That could be a matter of concern. Additionally, the PA isn't even a blood relative. Not the sister or mother (of the wife, who is pregnant). Usually mothers come over, and it is reasonable to explain to a degree.

I say open-ended, because it is. If you need help for 12 weeks with a pregnancy, IRCC/CBSA officer could argue you need help till the baby is 6 months old, right? Or one-year-old, till you put the child in daycare. So it will be hard to justify that the sister-in-law (PA) would help for a month or two after the baby is born and leave.

I'd say reduce the time to under 4 weeks. Say that PA wants to visit her brother- and sister-in-law, see a few tourist spots (Mention them by name specifically). It will help if PA has prior travel history. It is always difficult for siblings to get visitor visa as CBSA/IRCC consider them flight-risks. Most parents aren't. I don't mean any disrespect. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Naturgrl

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Family members coming over to help during pregnancy is extremely common and unfortunately open-ended. That could be a matter of concern. Additionally, the PA isn't even a blood relative. Not the sister or mother (of the wife, who is pregnant). Usually mothers come over, and it is reasonable to explain to a degree.

I say open-ended, because it is. If you need help for 12 weeks with a pregnancy, IRCC/CBSA officer could argue you need help till the baby is 6 months old, right? Or one-year-old, till you put the child in daycare. So it will be hard to justify that the sister-in-law (PA) would help for a month or two after the baby is born and leave.

I'd say reduce the time to under 4 weeks. Say that PA wants to visit her brother- and sister-in-law, see a few tourist spots (Mention them by name specifically). It will help if PA has prior travel history. It is always difficult for siblings to get visitor visa as CBSA/IRCC consider them flight-risks. Most parents aren't. I don't mean any disrespect. This is just my opinion.
Thank you very much for your views.

Best regards,
Sarbjit

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Regards,
Sarbjit
Regardless whether or not you think it’s not illegal work, the Government believes it is.
There belief trumps yours