+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Better Province to Settle

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London... Resident United Arab Emirates... National Pakistan...
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
09, July 2015... AOR2 10, Aug 2015
File Transfer...
29, July 2015... In Process 6, Aug 2015
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Waived... Decision Made 12, Nov 2015
Passport Req..
24, Nov 2015... Passport Sent 1, Dec 2015
VISA ISSUED...
09, Dec 2015... PP & COPR rcvd 16, Dec 2015
LANDED..........
19, May 2016
Dear All,

Please advise which one is better province to start a new life in Canada, where good job opportunities, low rentals and less expenses.

Alberta (AB)
British Columbia (BC)
Manitoba (MB)
New Brunswick (NB)
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL)
Northwest Territories (NT)
Nova Scotia (NS)
Nunavut (NU)
Ontario (ON)
Prince Edward Island (PE)
Saskatchewan (SK)
Yukon (YT)

Rgds

Sarim

M

mikeymyke

I would say Alberta, which is where I live. Sales tax of 5% as opposed to 13% combined for most provinces, which is a substantial difference considering you're buying goods everyday. Consistently year after year, ranked as the top province for employment gains and unemployment rate (of course its not the case this year due to low oil prices, but it's still one of the top provinces to go for employment). A province that doesn't require you to wait 3 months for health insurance for new immigrants.

Rentals are not the cheapest, and neither are house prices, but that's offset by the higher than average salaries that Albertans make. Also, our winters can be a bit unbearable sometimes.

I live in Edmonton, and although it's certainly not an exciting city compared to Vancouver or Toronto, I like living here because the house prices are reasonable compared to the other cities (Calgary's average house price is almost $100K more than Edmonton's), our city is growing with lots of employment opportunities, and it hasn't been affected by the oil crisis as much as Fort Mcmurray or Calgary. We have a pretty decent bus transportation system, though our LRT train system is not that great.

Also I'd like to mention that everyone's definition of "quality of life" will differ greatly, as some may prefer to live in Vancouver for the lifestyle and weather despite fewer job opportunities/high house prices, or some may prefer living in city suburbs for lower cost of living, etc. It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want, and of course, what type of career you plan on pursuing. For example, Alberta and Saskatchewan are desperate for workers in skilled trades, but in Vancouver, there are very few opportunities for tradesmen there.

I like to live in Edmonton, because my biggest priorities are job security, job salary, low taxes, and affordable housing, and Edmonton fits the bill for me, as I was able to put 50% down on my house, and I work as a journeyman electrician that pays an excellent salary with endless job offers. Calgary would've been nice too since it's close to the Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, the US border, etc, but its high house prices are what's keeping me back.

vinumallina

Feb 2, 2015
hi
i am planning for 2016. plz do suggest me for best place in Edmonton in terms housing for single and in terms of transportation

M

mikeymyke

vinumallina said:
hi
i am planning for 2016. plz do suggest me for best place in Edmonton in terms housing for single and in terms of transportation
If you want to live somewhere close to good transportation, I suggest living in Northeast Edmonton, South Central Edmonton, or anywhere that's close to the LRT line. There are a lot of condos in North Edmonton that only cost $150,000-$200,000 for a 1-2 bedroom apartment, so it's affordable for a single person. Try to avoid renting if possible, as most 1 bedroom apartments these days are going for $1000/month for rent.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the best province to settle in really depends on what it is you want. you need to research each province yourself, see what the standard of living is like, the transport available,the healthcare, the weather, the job opportunities, etc. then see which ones will best offer you what you want. THEN ask people on a forum to provide their insights on the ones you're interested in. A blanket question like this is difficult to answer, I don't know whats important to you, what you want from the place you live. Plus you will only get biased answers where people advise you to live where they do. That might suit you, it might not. Research first, ask questions later.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
I second purplesnow.

You need to do your research yourself. The following link may help you to decide which is the better province / city for you in Canada.

http://www.prepareforcanada.com/category/choosing-a-city/

Sarim

Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London... Resident United Arab Emirates... National Pakistan...
App. Filed.......
02, June 2015
AOR Received.
09, July 2015... AOR2 10, Aug 2015
File Transfer...
29, July 2015... In Process 6, Aug 2015
Med's Request
Upfront 23, May 2015
Interview........
Waived... Decision Made 12, Nov 2015
Passport Req..
24, Nov 2015... Passport Sent 1, Dec 2015
VISA ISSUED...
09, Dec 2015... PP & COPR rcvd 16, Dec 2015
LANDED..........
19, May 2016
thanks every one for the suggestions :)

nope

Oct 3, 2015
I second Mikey Mike -- Edmonton is a great place to live. However, it might not be a great place to find a job right now.

I moved to Victoria when I first landed. Awesome city, great place to live, close to my family, beautiful climate; all that paled in comparison to the 'no good jobs' criteria. Go to where you have to, in order to find work, it's the only thing that matters. Some people have specialities where they can work anywhere, others need specific cities. Canada is basically 9-10 large cities and a lot of countryside. In 3-4 of the large cities, you have to be able to speak French to be competitive. It's not really a big place. Do your research carefully, and don't let other things distract you from the employment question.