+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

better Primary Education India or Canada

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian Primary even complete education systems are well designed for all immigrants and his/her family. My cousins have 2 children they are in Primary school at Toronto ON area, I have 2years 3months old daughter USA born, if I migrate in Canada I will sure admit her in Canadian school only (thats even my dream) instead of India.
OMM

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
unfortunately we diverted from the core topic and and went too far as Captain Qorax rightly mentioned . I also carried away emotionally with the discussion.

but there are people who shared personal Indian and UK edu exp. Thanks guys.

When I started this thread I was expecting some good ( bad as well ) things about Canadian education system compare to Indian pvt schools.

I am really sorry if hurt sentiments here my intention was never that.

Regards,

nag1d

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks,

This is an interesting topic. It will be great if we can focus on the standard of education (nothing to do with culture, since that is something that I feel parents should imbibe in children). I am trying to gauge the difference in standard of schooling (Elementary/Middle and High) between Canada and USA. I know a little bit about the standard in the USA and here are my thoughts:

The method of education in US is quite different from India in that the focus seems to be to get the child to actually understand and learn rather than by rote. Speaking with friends and family in India, I realize that things are changing there for the good too. Schools are slowly encouraging kids to work on school projects, do research on a subject...a lot different when we were in school where we would only look at the questions at the end of each lesson and study the answers to these questions only.

If anyone on this forum can also share the difference they found with the method and standard of school education between US and Canada, it would be great. I tried researching this on the web and found that there are mixed feelings. A few people feel that the level of education in Canada is about a year behind that of the US while others feel that it is much better in Canada. Needless to say, there were people who did not find much difference.

Further thoughts welcome...

-nag1d

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Hi Leon & Qorax,

You are the real heros & gurus of this forum.

We still need to learn many things from you guys.

Salute to you.............

Regards
Cool

prsh_patel

Feb 9, 2010
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
30-01-2010
AOR Received.
30-03-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
3rd Feb 2010
Med's Request
08-07-2010
Med's Done....
13-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2010
LANDED..........
Jan 2011
qorax said:
Uhh, good that I clicked this thread...

QUESTION: Better Primary Education "India" or "Canada"?
ANSWER: One word -- "Canada"!

Why?
Most guys tend to forget [along the long gestated PR path] the core issue of moving here [or wanting to]... towards the western hemisphere... 1)Better Education, 2)Better Family-Lifestyle, 3)Better Living standards, 4)Better Housing Conditions, 5)Modern Way of Socio-Cultural Enhancement, 6)Lack of Pollution, 7)Better Social Security, 8)Good Old-Age Pension/Care, 9)Stability of Life, 10)Better Healthcare... etc. (I could go on) If it weren't so, we wouldn't be applying for this PR in the first instance itself, would we? We did... but along the way, mostly when we achieved it, we tend to loose sight & get distracted with trivia.

Now, do u think all these were possible if the Edn System of Canada was flawed? Or, if there were discrepancies in its social thinking? Or, if the Canadian society had a cultural dimentia? No. The Edn System here is perfectly fine... the socio-cultural life is smooth & well balanced... the Governance/Public Administration is going head-on, strong & forward-thinking.

Do u think Canadian educated children aren't successful in the Society, or in the Economic Stratum? Aren't they becoming Doctors, Engineers, Accountants, Lawyers, Aviators, Enterpreuners & successful Businessmen? Yes, they very much r. So, where's the doubt about the Edn System here?

This thread unnecessarily went into the anguish of Education Vs. Indian (or overseas) Culture. What Leon said perfectly makes sense...

We have to know/decide what we want. We have to look at ourselves in retrospect. If we chose immigration to settle ourselves better [in life] - then the factual position is what Leon stated. Our kids being educated here will have an edge. And probably that's why we chose to migrate to Canada too. To see them succeed. What good it'd do to my kids if I send them back to my homeland to educate - and when they return - they start afresh as an immigrant?

The essence of being Canadian is to "become a Canadian". And if I chose to migrate - I might as well embrace all its dimentions (good & bad included). Though there's nothing 'bad' -- it's just a matter of 'outlook'. While in Asia (or for that matter anywhere else) - we'd have our own traditions, cultures & behavioral aspects -- ditto in Canada... it has it's own civil rules... that is suited to its dwelling -- nothing bad about it - just that it'd be different! And if we have to live here - we might as well 'accept' that difference... better still - 'observe' them to their fullest!

So, where is the problem?
It is in our mind/s. We want to be here - but we do not want to follow its traditions, rules, ethics, cultural aspects, beliefs et all. And would want our kids to observe our own system of education/social-path instead... but they also must reside here... and be successful at that. How, brothers? How could that be possible? Won't there be a mis-match? Wouldn't our children then end-up as misfits here? And who'd then be to blame - except ourselves?

And mind u -- this is what hapenning with many families here... they just do not know where they r going! We will thus find many Indians, Filipinos, Malaysians, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc. But they'd be just that -- Not Canadians! (I wrote those nationalities at random -- nothing specific here -- it's the view which was to be portrayed) And they'd loose in the battle. They r lost! Neither this way - nor that way! And aren't successful as well!

Thus, keeping our kids here - but not permitting them to be educated in the Canadian ways & not enabling them to merge with the other Canadian kids - will be a disaster! For them! We would thus forcibly create a diaspora of 'foreigners' in Canada who r not Canadians... And that'd be dangerous for their development & success here! DANGER.

No one said that we shouldn't maintain our "Indian-ness" (or any 'ness' from wherever we belong). In fact we should maintain our "roots" & 'nourish' them too. B'coz it's our 'roots' which will keep us 'strong' and our 'faith' (however individual it is) will keep us 'level-headed' - keep us going. But, that should go hand-in-hand with our "Canadian-ness" - else, we r bound to be 'alienated' !!! And aliens don't/won't succeed, that much, as the natives, do they? Unless some drastic measures were taken - by the society at large!

So, Better Primary Education - "India" or "Canada"?
One word -- "Canada" !
Lest we shouldn't migrate...

Qorax

Ps.: Leon is here since ages. Many of us have come & gone by. Many quite smart ones too (including many Qoraxes) - but, he has always been there - he has seen them all - and we want him to stay that way. Healthy contradictions r welcome - but confrontations -- No, no please. He knows better than most of us. We should remember that.
Thanks Qorax for jumpin into the discussion, thanks for bringing the topic into right track, thanks for your respect to different opinions, thanks for always writing the balanced views, finally thanks for having question answered...

candy22

Jan 24, 2011
There's always pros & cons of different education systems. The choice is yours in terms of where you want your kids to be brought up.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Ahhhhhh my favourite thread came back..........

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
As a Canadian, this thread has been an interesting read. My two children went through the Canadian pubic school system and I can tell you no teacher would get away with hitting a child any more. The strap was banned MANY years ago. From my observations Indian culture (I only mention India as I have no other culture of reference) appears to be one generation back from Western culture as far as "unquestioning respect for elders and people in elevated positions". It is as if Canada put everyone in a tray and gave it a gentle shake so that everyone ended up on the same level. I was surprised when a young Indian adult called me Auntie and I learned that it was a respectful and accepted salutation in India. I grew up calling my parents' friends and neighbours Auntie and Uncle, but our children refer to them by their first name. It is so common place I think I would feel uncomfortable if the neighbourhood children referred to me as Mrs XXX. Sometimes things have gone TOO far. As a public health nurse I used to teach in classes of children aged 11 and 15 and was amazed at the lack of respect I witnessed on some occasions in public schools. Enter a Private School in Canada and the children would STAND when I entered the classroom! Was I shocked!! In general, I think Canadian Private Schools have higher expectations of their students, and perhaps parents tend to enforce those expectations as they are paying directly for the education instead of just through taxes. This doesn't mean that children do not get a good education in the public system, they do, but it will be a culture shock for parents and students alike coming to a system that is so laid back. Teachers will encourage students to excel, but the bottom line is, it is the student's responsibility to learn. Teachers only have so many resources and classes are filled to the maximum numbers allowed. It is a challenging job these days, as always, and teachers deserve all the support and respect we can give them. Drugs are a problem in all schools, I think, and it might surprise you that they are not limited to poorer areas. Access to money in the affluent schools makes their purchase easy. We educate our children to make good choices, we provide them with love and good homes and hope that they will come out the other side safely as productive, happy adults. Just my 5 cents worth (2 cents + HST)

Reactions: muthupiping