+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to mail citizenship certificate to the US?

couture

Sep 21, 2018
I recently completed my citizenship oath, and only discovered during the registration that I couldn't have my certificate mailed to my new address in the US where I now reside (I traveled back up for the virtual oath). In a pinch I was able to provide the address of one of the Canadian branches of the company I work for, and the general manager of that location agreed to mail it to me when it arrives. What's the safest way to do this without it being seized? It seems a little dicey considering the international mail restrictions that the various carriers have, but I don't see another option on how to receive it aside from having one of my colleagues bring it to the US with them (which is way too big of an ask IMO). Can anyone advise? Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Just send it using a tracked courier. Unlikely it will get seized.

I have heard of a few cases here of IRCC sending the citizenship certificate to US addresses, so I don't know if they recently changed that rule.

Reactions: couture

couture

Sep 21, 2018
Just send it using a tracked courier. Unlikely it will get seized.

I have heard of a few cases here of IRCC sending the citizenship certificate to US addresses, so I don't know if they recently changed that rule.
Seems that is only the case if you have applied from the US. I was able to get in touch with my IRCC office today to double check if they can make an exception but they said no, so it will have to be mailed to a Canadian address. I'm very paranoid about it getting seized since my wife mailed a drivers license across the border once and it was intercepted.