+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to get the PR? Studying or applying in home country?

cesar1992

Jan 17, 2019
Hi, hope you are doing great today.

I am 26 years guy from Colombia who wants to get the PR in Canada. I need advices of what would be the best way for my goal. Here's my profile:

- My English is currently under B2 level, I know I need to take to IELTS General in order to apply under the Express Entry Program. I'm currently studying French and already have gotten A1 level.
- I graduated from a Bachelor (4.5 years program) in Marketing & Sales Management in Colombia, and I have more than 3 years of professional experience in the Marketing/Sales field.
- I have a 10 year Canadian tourism visa and I stayed 15 days in Canada 3 years ago.

My first option was to take a Graduate Certificate but I'm already late to apply even for the Fall 2019 semester, and I do not have the TOEFL/IELTS which is needed to apply.

My second option was to take a co-op program for 1 year (6 months studying and 6 months co-op work term) in a institute named Greystone College in Hospitality Operations (https://content.greystonecollege.com/pdf/current/Coop-Hospitality-Operations.pdf), my question is, would this program give me points in the Express Entry application? I understand It would but only for have studied in Canada 1 year and not for working since the work part is a co-op term and is part of the courses, can somebody confirm this information?

My third option is to apply here in Colombia, I already took the EE points calculator and I'd need to have an excellent score on the IELTS General test in order to have enough points above the average of the minimum score they usually invite to apply.

What would be the best path?
All your answers are very helpful!
Thank you so much!

Arod

May 15, 2017
Hi, hope you are doing great today.

I am 26 years guy from Colombia who wants to get the PR in Canada. I need advices of what would be the best way for my goal. Here's my profile:

- My English is currently under B2 level, I know I need to take to IELTS General in order to apply under the Express Entry Program. I'm currently studying French and already have gotten A1 level.
- I graduated from a Bachelor (4.5 years program) in Marketing & Sales Management in Colombia, and I have more than 3 years of professional experience in the Marketing/Sales field.
- I have a 10 year Canadian tourism visa and I stayed 15 days in Canada 3 years ago.

My first option was to take a Graduate Certificate but I'm already late to apply even for the Fall 2019 semester, and I do not have the TOEFL/IELTS which is needed to apply.

My second option was to take a co-op program for 1 year (6 months studying and 6 months co-op work term) in a institute named Greystone College in Hospitality Operations (https://content.greystonecollege.com/pdf/current/Coop-Hospitality-Operations.pdf), my question is, would this program give me points in the Express Entry application? I understand It would but only for have studied in Canada 1 year and not for working since the work part is a co-op term and is part of the courses, can somebody confirm this information?

My third option is to apply here in Colombia, I already took the EE points calculator and I'd need to have an excellent score on the IELTS General test in order to have enough points above the average of the minimum score they usually invite to apply.

What would be the best path?
All your answers are very helpful!
Thank you so much!
Not sure about the first two options, but if you want to apply to PR from your home country these would be my recommendations:
  • Improve your English skills and try to take as many practice IELTS tests as you can before taking the actual test. See what your results are, don't take the test until you feel confident that you can hit at least 35 right answers in each module. For the Writing section there are plenty of videos in YouTube that can guide you. Read a lot.
  • The same with the French test, make sure you practice a lot before going for the real one.
  • If possible, get a Masters degree. I know it is time consuming, but it will add many points to your application.
  • Get a wife that can add points to your application.
This is the best time for you to apply, as soon as you hit 30 you start losing points for age.

Saludos.

Reactions: cesar1992

cesar1992

Jan 17, 2019
Not sure about the first two options, but if you want to apply to PR from your home country these would be my recommendations:
  • Improve your English skills and try to take as many practice IELTS tests as you can before taking the actual test. See what your results are, don't take the test until you feel confident that you can hit at least 35 right answers in each module. For the Writing section there are plenty of videos in YouTube that can guide you. Read a lot.
  • The same with the French test, make sure you practice a lot before going for the real one.
  • If possible, get a Masters degree. I know it is time consuming, but it will add many points to your application.
  • Get a wife that can add points to your application.
This is the best time for you to apply, as soon as you hit 30 you start losing points for age.

Saludos.
Thank you very much for your advices, Arod!