+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to get my US wife to Montreal ?

Mar 8, 2020
Ok we are not married yet but soon will be.

I am a Canadian living in New Brunswick and I want to go study in Montreal in a year. My soon to be wife is American. What is the quickest way to get her in ?

More info:
-I speak french, she does not yet but wants to learn.
-She is graduating nursing school and will complete her NCLEX test soon.
-We would like her to be able to move as soon as possible after January 2021 as to not be separated for too long.

Obviously I want her to be able to work too. Whats the best way ? Spousal sponsorship ? Quebec Skilled Worker program ? Or something else ? What kind of timeframe are we looking at and when should I start working on her application ?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok we are not married yet but soon will be.

I am a Canadian living in New Brunswick and I want to go study in Montreal in a year. My soon to be wife is American. What is the quickest way to get her in ?

More info:
-I speak french, she does not yet but wants to learn.
-She is graduating nursing school and will complete her NCLEX test soon.
-We would like her to be able to move as soon as possible after January 2021 as to not be separated for too long.

Obviously I want her to be able to work too. Whats the best way ? Spousal sponsorship ? Quebec Skilled Worker program ? Or something else ? What kind of timeframe are we looking at and when should I start working on her application ?

Thanks!
Spousal sponsorship. If applying outland, around 6 months, give or take. If inland, she must first be living with you in Canada to apply and it takes about a year.

Mar 8, 2020
Spousal sponsorship. If applying outland, around 6 months, give or take. If inland, she must first be living with you in Canada to apply and it takes about a year.
Thanks for your answer !
She is currently living in the US. So I guess that means outland ?

Do I understand correctly, 6 month before she can move here but one year before she can work after she moves here?? I am sorry, the 6 month outland but one year inland part confuses me a little. Could you provide further explanation?

Thank you for your time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer !
She is currently living in the US. So I guess that means outland ?

Do I understand correctly, 6 month before she can move here but one year before she can work after she moves here?? I am sorry, the 6 month outland but one year inland part confuses me a little. Could you provide further explanation?

Thank you for your time.
Inland and outland are 2 different types of processing. You have to choose one.

Inland requires that the couple be living together in Canada at the time of applying and throughout the entire process. It takes about a year. The applicant can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time, which takes around 4 months to get.

Outland can be done from anywhere. For Americans, it usually takes about 6 months. She can come to Canada as a visitor while the app processes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most nurses are required to be bilingual or French speaking in Quebec so being an anglophone will limit employment opportunities.

Mar 8, 2020
Inland and outland are 2 different types of processing. You have to choose one.

Inland requires that the couple be living together in Canada at the time of applying and throughout the entire process. It takes about a year. The applicant can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time, which takes around 4 months to get.

Outland can be done from anywhere. For Americans, it usually takes about 6 months. She can come to Canada as a visitor while the app processes.
Understood!

Thanks for your help, appreciate it !

Mar 8, 2020
Most nurses are required to be bilingual or French speaking in Quebec so being an anglophone will limit employment opportunities.
I am aware of this and she is too. She wants to learn, and I know it wont happen by the time we move, but I hope she can find work in an english hospital. I heard there was a few in Montreal and that the nurse shortage makes them a bit more lenient on this even in french hospital. I will try to get more info on this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am aware of this and she is too. She wants to learn, and I know it wont happen by the time we move, but I hope she can find work in an english hospital. I heard there was a few in Montreal and that the nurse shortage makes them a bit more lenient on this even in french hospital. I will try to get more info on this.
English hospitals are still supposed to be bilingual. Yes nursing shortage may make them more lenient.