+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to bring family members from Philippines.

Trevor 49

Nov 15, 2021
Hello, I am married to a Filipino lady who arrived in Canada in February this year. My wife has her PR card. We have 2 young children together who came at the same time, they both have citizenship. I am Canadian citizen living and working in B.C.
I would like to bring my brother and sister in law to Canada, when I checked the processing times for sponsorship it is 2 plus years. I am unsure of the best way to get them to come to Canada. Friends have said to get visitor Visa, but they don’t own land, vehicles or any real assets in the Philippines. Them coming here would be at my expense. If they were here and were permitted to work, I have a small construction company and could give them work. If we attempted to bring them on visitor visa, can I as there brother in law write them a letter of invitation, or does my wife have to do this? My wife is a stay at home mom, caring for our 2 children.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Trevor

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I am married to a Filipino lady who arrived in Canada in February this year. My wife has her PR card. We have 2 young children together who came at the same time, they both have citizenship. I am Canadian citizen living and working in B.C.
I would like to bring my brother and sister in law to Canada, when I checked the processing times for sponsorship it is 2 plus years. I am unsure of the best way to get them to come to Canada. Friends have said to get visitor Visa, but they don’t own land, vehicles or any real assets in the Philippines. Them coming here would be at my expense. If they were here and were permitted to work, I have a small construction company and could give them work. If we attempted to bring them on visitor visa, can I as there brother in law write them a letter of invitation, or does my wife have to do this? My wife is a stay at home mom, caring for our 2 children.
Thanks in advance.
Trevor
You can’t sponsor them. Don’t know where you are getting two years from. They need to immigrate on their own merit based on their education, age, skilled work experience and language. Research Express Entry.

As for giving them a job, you need to prove that no Canadian or PR can do the job, only the brother. You would need to post the job and then not be able to hire anyone in Canada. Then you would file for a LMIA. This would be very difficult as it would be heavily scrutinzed because it is a family member. The job must be skilled. Here is the link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers.html

They can come visit you on TRVs but can’t work. To visit they need to show funds, ties to home country and travel history.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Trevor 49

Nov 15, 2021
My goal is simply getting them here, my wife and kids miss there family back home. They would not becoming here for work unless that is an avenue that makes getting them here easier to accomplish. Thanks for letting me know they cant come under family sponsorship, I was unaware of that. I will research express entry, but it seems as though them coming here is unlikely since they don’t own land or have a reason to go back to the Philippines.
I appreciate the input, cheers

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My goal is simply getting them here, my wife and kids miss there family back home. They would not becoming here for work unless that is an avenue that makes getting them here easier to accomplish. Thanks for letting me know they cant come under family sponsorship, I was unaware of that. I will research express entry, but it seems as though them coming here is unlikely since they don’t own land or have a reason to go back to the Philippines.
I appreciate the input, cheers
If not coming to work, then they can apply for visitor visas. You can invite them to Canada but they still need to show their own funds, ties to home country (employment letters with approved leave), and travel history.

Working in Canada is not an option unless they are skilled to apply through Express Entry, BC PNP or have an approved LMIA with a skilled job offer.

Only your wife can sponsor her parents or grandparents. And that is through a lottery which just closed for 2022.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree that unless they have special skills, their best shot is to try to apply for visitor visa.
They need to show their own funds and tie to home country.
Your wife/yours invitation is just an invitation and that would be why they want to visit. But it's not a "sponsorship".
Family sponsorship typically only count direct family members ( spouses/common law partners and children under 22 year old).
Parents and grandparents are in a different stream of family sponsorship and as Naturgrl replied, is on a lottery system and is closed fro 2022.

Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks in advance.
Trevor
If they get a visitor visa it would only to temporarily visit your family which doesn’t seem to be what you are asking. Are they trying to visit for a few weeks during school vacation or are they trying to remain in Canada permanently?