+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to bring American spouse to Canada

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Hello,

So I'm Canadian and my husband is Anerican. Weve been married almost two years and are still living in our own countries. Weve been working in ny Amerucan spousal visa but our circumstances have changed and we're looking into bringing my husband here to Canada instead, even if it's just for a few years. So, basically we want to live together in Canada as soon as possible, and preferably him be able to work.

So, my understanding is that inland sponsership would be the best way? But I'm a little confused about the process:

Husband would enter Canada as a visitor. Does he need to apply for anything beforehand and if not, how does he handle crossing the border? Like what does he tell them (obviously dont lie). I know he can stay for up to 6 months, and if he didnt have the work permit by then he would have to apply to extend his visit? But once he has the work permit that is all that would be needed to wait out the application?

Once in Canada, we submit an inland sponsership application and OWP together. What kind of proof do we need to submit that he's living here with me?

While the application is being processed, he cannot leave Canada even once he has the work permit?

You have to submit a police certificate, correct? How would he get one from the US while here?

Are there any other ways to get my husband here, for a few years even, that we've overlooked? Study visa isnt an option for us and I dont think he qualifies for a work visa.

Thanks in advance!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Outland spousal sponsorship seem faster than Inland sponsorship for US citizens......sometimes outland for US citizens could takes 6 months........also, as a Canadian, if you sponsor outland you will need to include proof of intent that the Canadian sponsor will return to Canada after the sponsorship application gets approved.

Inland sponsorship.....with the sponsor living inside Canada and if your US citizen husband enters Canada as a visitor (dual intent).......you submit the spousal sponsor application with OWP when he has visitor status, and also apply for visitor visa extension.........Inland sponsorship could take up to 12 months to complete........the OWP could be approved within 4 months.

Submit the documents as required in the checklist.

Forms and Checklist..........Sponsoring your spouse, partner or dependent child

Sponsor your spouse child Complete Guide (IMM 5289)

Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

How to get a police certificate – United States

Reactions: Leah&Jeremy

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Outland spousal sponsorship seem faster than Inland sponsorship for US citizens......sometimes outland for US citizens could takes 6 months........also, as a Canadian, if you sponsor outland you will need to include proof of intent that the Canadian sponsor will return to Canada after the sponsorship application gets approved.

Inland sponsorship.....with the sponsor living inside Canada and if your US citizen husband enters Canada as a visitor (dual intent).......you submit the spousal sponsor application with OWP when he has visitor status, and also apply for visitor visa extension.........Inland sponsorship could take up to 12 months to complete........the OWP could be approved within 4 months.

Submit the documents as required in the checklist.

Forms and Checklist..........Sponsoring your spouse, partner or dependent child

Sponsor your spouse child Complete Guide (IMM 5289)

Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

How to get a police certificate – United States

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

I read where it explains that yes you can leave while your application is pending, so why do I keep seeing so many threads where people are adamant that you CAN'T leave?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Your husband is a US citizen and does not need a visitor visa to enter Canada, however, entry to Canada is not fully guaranteed regardless of the visa exempt, as the border officers either on US or Canada side for whatever reason could deny entry.

For Inland sponsorship......Principal applicant (PA) is advised not to travel out of Canada while the sponsorship application is been processed to avoid any unexpected issues during re-entry to Canada because if the PA is unable to re-enter or return to Canada, IRCC could determine that the PA abandoned the application and not process the sponsorship application.