+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way forward?

Norfolk in Chance

Jan 24, 2008
Hi all,

I'm just about at the end of my tether with a decision that I need to make promptly - please help!

I work in an industry which doesn't often get recognised under the skilled worker or provincial nomination programmes, however despite of this I have struck lucky and have a couple of job offers (in two different provences). To give you a little more background, I have some family in one of the provences, and have been visiting there for over two decades, it feels more like home than my native England does, which is where I would no doubt have just flown in from!!! The other provence I have literally visited briefly, but recieved a very warm and hospitible welcome, and really feel that I could settle in OK.

I appreciate that this is a great position to be in, but I am now at the stage where I can apply for either provences support/backing/immigration rights, but I'm still unsure as to which one to go for!?!?!??

My initial question is:-

Can you apply to two different provences programmes at the same time - and if one or the other (or both) is/are approved, make a decision based on the outcome? I know this is a case of 'hedging your bets', but I am on a time limit for one of the programmes and I am fearful of missing out altogether if I delay or stall trying to sort the other avenue out.

What do you think? Anyone else been in this predicament?

Cheers

MO

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think you can do this.

When you apply, you will need to disclose your other application. Even if you applied for both at the same time - you'd be required to update both provinces of your dual application status.

I don't think they would like that, because it would indicate you hadn't decided where to go. So they could reject your application outright until you made up your mind. They'd be wasting time and effort.

I suggest you consult an immigration attorney to see if they've come across this issue in the past.

Norfolk in Chance

Jan 24, 2008
Hey Thai guy - apart from the obvious costs involved, what could be the worst repocussions of me applying to both provences and not telling either about the other??

As they are seperate Provences, why would it matter anyway?

What are your thoughts on just taking out a work Visa for 12 months and beginning the job in the 'tougher to get into' Provence, and applying for residency once in??? My worry is that one of the Provences has approved the job already and therefore I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot by missing out on that opportunity! However I do have a slight preference for the other job in the other provence!!!!

What would you do????

PS - Thanks for the feedback on my handle - its a great pub quiz team name!!! :eek:)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Given what you've said, I would take the job that's available right now (assuming you can get the work permit) to beef-up your time in Canada so that permanent residency will come faster. At the same time, I would apply for PR through the other province.

Norfolk in Chance

Jan 24, 2008
What with immediate effect? i.e. move straight away - or if the job is approved must you then need to commit to at least say 12, 24 or 36 months in the Provence that accepted/landed you in the first place?

Cheers for all the help by the way :)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, with immediate effect. It's not a good idea to misrepresent yourself, of course. I would hope that you intend to go to work in the province that qualifies you for PNP. However, assuming your job doesn't work out the way you want, you can move at any time. There's no time requirement.

Norfolk in Chance

Jan 24, 2008
Thai guy,

Just so I understand you correctly. If someone was to be accepted onto a 'Provence specific PNP' but had job offer(s) elsewhere - they could begin residency and employment in the other Provence with immediate effect, is that right??

What I am saying is that PNP acceptence is (in effect) acceptance into the entirety of Canada as a whole from the off?

alba

Apr 23, 2008
I am a teacher , an industry which doesn't often get recognized under the skilled worker program either.

Is there a way you could possibly share how you struck lucky and have a couple of job offers?

Thanks,