IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
I have just been informed that I have been accepted for PhD in Computer Engg January 2013 session and the acceptance letter will be dispatched soon.
I have to apply for a study permit + TRV once I receive the letter.

I have a few questions :

1. What will be the best time for applying for a visa?
2. What are the chances of my visa acceptance as per my profile below :

Xth : 80.6%
XIIth : 79 %
B.E. (Electronics and Instrumentation - 2009) : 77.7%
M.Tech (Instrumentation & Control - Biomedical - 2011) : 9.6 CGPA
IELTS/TOEFL : Not Appeared
Funding : $20K/year
Currently working in a leading IT company in India (Oct 2011- Aug 2012)

3. If I decide to give IELTS as of now, should it be Academic or GT? What date should I take for IELTS?

Thanks in advance

Indian4mSA

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Sandton, South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
21-07-2012
sue_in said:
I have just been informed that I have been accepted for PhD in Computer Engg January 2013 session and the acceptance letter will be dispatched soon.
I have to apply for a study permit + TRV once I receive the letter.

I have a few questions :

1. What will be the best time for applying for a visa? Apply as soon as possible.
2. What are the chances of my visa acceptance as per my profile below : Perfect profile

Xth : 80.6%
XIIth : 79 %
B.E. (Electronics and Instrumentation - 2009) : 77.7%
M.Tech (Instrumentation & Control - Biomedical - 2011) : 9.6 CGPA
IELTS/TOEFL : Not Appeared
Funding : $20K/year
Currently working in a leading IT company in India (Oct 2011- Aug 2012)

3. If I decide to give IELTS as of now, should it be Academic or GT? What date should I take for IELTS? GT works in both cases

Thanks in advance
Hi,

first of all no time is bad for applying a student visa :) You are investing in their education system NOT taking anything physical out. And moreover PhD guys are in demand.

But be prepared for the interview as they gonna ask you the trick question WHY TO STUDY IN HERE ?

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
Thanks for your reply!

Indian4mSA said:
But be prepared for the interview as they gonna ask you the trick question WHY TO STUDY IN HERE ?
Is there gonna be an interview too? A couple of my friends went for their MS in Ottawa and Montreal. They didn't face any interview!

Also, is IELTS/TOEFL really necessary/recommended for Visa approval? I can only give IELTS latest by August end. Will it be too late by that time considering that I have to obtain CAQ also for Quebec and may be subjected to medical examination too?

Indian4mSA

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Sandton, South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
21-07-2012
sue_in said:
Thanks for your reply!

Is there gonna be an interview too? A couple of my friends went for their MS in Ottawa and Montreal. They didn't face any interview!

Also, is IELTS/TOEFL really necessary/recommended for Visa approval? I can only give IELTS latest by August end. Will it be too late by that time considering that I have to obtain CAQ also for Quebec and may be subjected to medical examination too?
Not really necessary but depends on the University and course requirements.

Yes, 95% cases have to face an interview for the visa. your friends were lucky :)

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
sue_in said:

1. Interviews are done in rare cases and mostly they don't call for interview in order to issue you study permit.

Quote: "If a visa officer decides that an interview is necessary, you will be informed and given instructions. Most decisions are taken without an interview. All relevant information should therefore be included in writing with your initial application.

2. Check the checklist of the CHC office in your country, it should answer your question of IELTS/TOEFL. If it mentions IELTS/TOEFL then you have to take the exam. However, I personally feel, with your profile, admission in Phd and good academic percentages you can get visa without IELTS/TOEFL. However, if you want to take IELTS exam then it must be Academic IELTS.

Indian4mSA

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Sandton, South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
21-07-2012
Inam89 said:
1. Interviews are done in rare cases and mostly they don't call for interview in order to issue you study permit.

Quote: "If a visa officer decides that an interview is necessary, you will be informed and given instructions. Most decisions are taken without an interview. All relevant information should therefore be included in writing with your initial application.

2. Check the checklist of the CHC office in your country, it should answer your question of IELTS/TOEFL. If it mentions IELTS/TOEFL then you have to take the exam. However, I personally feel, with your profile, admission in Phd and good academic percentages you can get visa without IELTS/TOEFL. However, if you want to take IELTS exam then it must be Academic IELTS.
May be I am being stupid here :)

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
Inam89 said:

Thanks Inam89 for your views on this. I think it will be wise to give IELTS even when its mentioned as "Strongly Recommended" in documents and is not mandatory.

Personally, I do not think IELTS or TOEFL should be a requirement considering that I am going in a university where medium of instruction is French and there's no specific elaborate "Courses" to be undertaken during PhD. Also I've had all my education in English since childhood. It seems just stupid to give an English language test at this level! :p

ali449

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
@ Inam at which program u got admission and in which University ? Kindly aso tell that from which university you have got your bachelors degree.
Regards