+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best route? Marry this year, health insurace incase get pregnant?

aaaa1111

Mar 31, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen (born) and live in Ontario. My fiancée is an American citizen. She is currently living (here as a visitor) for the past few months at her moms in Ontario. Her mom has been living in Canada for past couple of years. We are planning on getting married either late this summer or late Fall of this year.

Immigration Canada website says processing times are about 1 year for Spousal sponsorship for Permanent Residency. Ontario government website says there is a 3 month waiting period after before being eligible for OHIP health care coverage.

Is there any private health insurance, or other options, that would cover my fiancée if she gets pregnant after we are married as it looks like it could take up to 1 year 3 months after wedding before she can get OHIP.

I don’t see anywhere on the Immigration Canada website where it says Inland and Outland applications and if the person applying is currently living in or out of Canada. In the forums on this website there is talk about these.

What is best route to go for her to get Permanent Residency and what options are available if she becomes pregnant.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
aaaa1111 said:
I am a Canadian citizen (born) and live in Ontario. My fiancée is an American citizen. She is currently living (here as a visitor) for the past few months at her moms in Ontario. Her mom has been living in Canada for past couple of years. We are planning on getting married either late this summer or late Fall of this year.

Immigration Canada website says processing times are about 1 year for Spousal sponsorship for Permanent Residency. Ontario government website says there is a 3 month waiting period after before being eligible for OHIP health care coverage.

Is there any private health insurance, or other options, that would cover my fiancée if she gets pregnant after we are married as it looks like it could take up to 1 year 3 months after wedding before she can get OHIP.

I don’t see anywhere on the Immigration Canada website where it says Inland and Outland applications and if the person applying is currently living in or out of Canada. In the forums on this website there is talk about these.

What is best route to go for her to get Permanent Residency and what options are available if she becomes pregnant.
As an American, she should apply outland. She can be in Canada as a visitor during the process. American outland apps average about 4-6 months.

It would be far simpler to just plan any pregnancy for after she has healthcare.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
to clarify, she would not be eligible for OHIP until she actually lands as a PR. if she wants to go to doctors visits or give birth in canada prior to landing as a pr, she needs to pay for the birth out of pocket. she also has the option of signing up for the midwife wait list. while it can take time to get one assigned, visitors are eligible to receive midwife care for free in ontario.

as canuck mentioned, she wants to apply outland. us applications are some of the quickest there is. i'd recommend going over to the family sponsorship board and search the threads about us applications.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
aaaa1111 said:
Yes, there are special insurance policies you can get that if you purchase it a certain time before you get pregnant and continue to keep the policy in force, will cover pregnancy related costs and even delivery (up to certain % reimbursed). I have no idea on the costs for this kind of insurance product. I would post this question to the "Health" section of the forum where there are people that know more about this kind of product, or even do a search there on other posts as this question has been raised before.