+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best place to live in Toronto/GTA for a couple (wife pregnant)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would add that many of these amenities are only available for half the year or less than half a year. Utilities and things like internet are not included. Would really prioritize things like more sq footage, a car, etc. versus tennis courts. Babies are expensive and their stuff takes up a lot of room. Just a stroller takes up the whole entranceway of most condos and many newer condos barely fit a queen bed so a crib in addition to a bed and a dresser may not fit in most bedrooms. Would make sure you have the dimensions of your potential furniture when looking at rentals. I would also consider apartments versus condos and somewhere close to the subway but not downtown if you are looking to get more from your budget. 2 bedrooms would make a very big difference when you have a child
But some strollesr can be folded and can be stored under the bed or other furniture. A den is also usable.

Reactions: marketstudent1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But some strollesr can be folded and can be stored under the bed or other furniture. A den is also usable.
OP was initially looking for 1 BHK so no den. Strollers are not petite like umbrella strollers especially for infants. You may have a bassinet attached to the base or a padded seat. Even if you had a very high bed frame you likely need the storage room for clothing, linens, etc.. Getting such a bulky item from under a bed may be very difficult depending on how much room you have around a bed and strollers get dirty. If you have a 600 sq ft condo there isn't much room for things like strollers, high chair, bouncer/swing/mamaroo, etc. Even in many older homes where you essentially walk into your living room a stroller becomes a huge pain. I know some lock up their stroller to their porch or leave the stroller outside unattended when they are running in and out of the house especially when the wheels are wet. In Toronto there is a huge stroller theft problem. If you've never owned a stroller and are a first time parent it is one of the things you haven't thought about.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP was initially looking for 1 BHK so no den. Strollers are not petite like umbrella strollers especially for infants. You may have a bassinet attached to the base or a padded seat. Even if you had a very high bed frame you likely need the storage room for clothing, linens, etc.. Getting such a bulky item from under a bed may be very difficult depending on how much room you have around a bed and strollers get dirty. If you have a 600 sq ft condo there isn't much room for things like strollers, high chair, bouncer/swing/mamaroo, etc. Even in many older homes where you essentially walk into your living room a stroller becomes a huge pain. I know some lock up their stroller to their porch or leave the stroller outside unattended when they are running in and out of the house especially when the wheels are wet. In Toronto there is a huge stroller theft problem. If you've never owned a stroller and are a first time parent it is one of the things you haven't thought about.
But it also depends how high the ceiling is for a 600 sqft condo. I know some people use their high ceilings to create spaces for additional storage and living space. There are foldable strollers even for infants. People bring bulky things like foldable strollers into their vehicles all the time, so storing them under bed is no difficulty.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But it also depends how high the ceiling is for a 600 sqft condo. I know some people use their high ceilings to create spaces for additional storage and living space. There are foldable strollers even for infants. People bring bulky things like foldable strollers into their vehicles all the time, so storing them under bed is no difficulty.
Trunk depth and space under a bed are very different. There is very little clearance under a bed especially these days. Beds are pretty low to the ground whereas in the past you may have had 4 poster beds that are very high off the ground. We also don't need beds very high off the ground to prevent pests from getting into the bed. It is very hard to hang your stroller off the wall like you may do with a bike so high ceilings won't make a big deal. Have you used a stroller recently? Have you stored anything under a bed in a 1 bedroom condo recently?. Getting thin tupperware in an out is difficult enough and that hasn't been outside and gotten dirty. Not going to keep arguing but in general a larger unit and making sure you have dimensions for all your furniture and baby items is important when looking at rentals. If you have friends or family who have recently had a baby in Canada I would ask what they felt were essential items. I would especially ask those in apartments or condos. Things like a locker that may come with a unit would be a big plus. In Canada you'll need to use a carseat even in an uber or taxi which isn't a requirement in many countries. These are the tips that people who have lived in Canada for most of their lives may not consider

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would add that many of these amenities are only available for half the year or less than half a year. Utilities and things like internet are not included.
The above rental that I provided a link to includes all utilities and internet. The building has this included in their condo fees so it's covered automatically as part of the rental.

I have a very close family member who happens to own a three bedroom in this building so I'm very familiar with the fee structure / amenities covered there.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Trunk depth and space under a bed are very different. There is very little clearance under a bed especially these days. Beds are pretty low to the ground whereas in the past you may have had 4 poster beds that are very high off the ground. We also don't need beds very high off the ground to prevent pests from getting into the bed. It is very hard to hang your stroller off the wall like you may do with a bike so high ceilings won't make a big deal. Have you used a stroller recently? Have you stored anything under a bed in a 1 bedroom condo recently?. Getting thin tupperware in an out is difficult enough and that hasn't been outside and gotten dirty. Not going to keep arguing but in general a larger unit and making sure you have dimensions for all your furniture and baby items is important when looking at rentals. If you have friends or family who have recently had a baby in Canada I would ask what they felt were essential items. I would especially ask those in apartments or condos. Things like a locker that may come with a unit would be a big plus. In Canada you'll need to use a carseat even in an uber or taxi which isn't a requirement in many countries. These are the tips that people who have lived in Canada for most of their lives may not consider
When you get off your vehicle, a stroller will be an advantage. We had both strollers and car seat. We always see people store things in their 1 bedroom condo. It's not difficult at all to getting in and out. A locker which comes with the unit is certainly a big plus. Have you seen a bunker bed in Canada (in places like JYSK)- a person sleeps on top while store things under the bed / use the space as working area?

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Would add that many of these amenities are only available for half the year or less than half a year. Utilities and things like internet are not included. Would really prioritize things like more sq footage, a car, etc. versus tennis courts. Babies are expensive and their stuff takes up a lot of room. Just a stroller takes up the whole entranceway of most condos and many newer condos barely fit a queen bed so a crib in addition to a bed and a dresser may not fit in most bedrooms. Would make sure you have the dimensions of your potential furniture when looking at rentals. I would also consider apartments versus condos and somewhere close to the subway but not downtown if you are looking to get more from your budget. 2 bedrooms would make a very big difference when you have a child
Thanks so much. I came to know that there is a common laundry for apartments. Hence, I was not keen to look for them.

You have some good points. This was very helpful.

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
I am highly obliged for you all to pitch in and help me out. This service that you do to fellow boarders is so useful for us.

After reading your comments, I think I'll need to look out for a Condo with Den (mostly) or a 2 bedroom apartment.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I am highly obliged for you all to pitch in and help me out. This service that you do to fellow boarders is so useful for us.

After reading your comments, I think I'll need to look out for a Condo with Den (mostly) or a 2 bedroom apartment.
A 2 bed condo / condo town home should be possible with your budget, based on your price range, specs and facilities. Oakville / Burlington would be a nice place, near by to a GO or something. Given your wife is expecting, a town home should be ideal.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Thank You so much. Would you suggest the best areas as I'm looking for a comfortable home with least hassles.

I've been searching for jobs for the last few months. Even connected with a lot of people on LinkedIn but couldn't get a call until now. I have 13 years of experience in Global equity markets (including US stocks) and am CFA and MBA by qualification. I do hope I get lucky soon.
Re your career, please PM me and hit me up on LinkedIn. I lived in a nice condo(2 bedroom and 1 washroom) in Scarborough paying $1950 (for the 1st year) and $2000 for the 2nd year- this included all utilities as well and had access to the common condo elements like gym, swimming pool etc. These rent rates were back in 2018 through 2020, and I don’t see much of a change in light of the pandemic as it’s a renter’s market now. It was also 2 minutes away from the McCowan station in Scarborough.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re your career, please PM me and hit me up on LinkedIn. I lived in a nice condo(2 bedroom and 1 washroom) in Scarborough paying $1950 (for the 1st year) and $2000 for the 2nd year- this included all utilities as well and had access to the common condo elements like gym, swimming pool etc. These rent rates were back in 2018 through 2020, and I don’t see much of a change in light of the pandemic as it’s a renter’s market now. It was also 2 minutes away from the McCowan station in Scarborough.
Any tennis court in your complex?

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Any tennis court in your complex?
nope, but there is one just half a KM away. The YMCA is also close-by. Again, I don’t live there any longer and this was just an experience I had. I used to workout at the YMCA during those good old times(pre-COVID).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
nope, but there is one just half a KM away. The YMCA is also close-by. Again, I don’t live there any longer and this was just an experience I had. I used to workout at the YMCA during those good old times(pre-COVID).
Would personally suggest a better location. It is a renters market, you could probably find a decent rental for a similar cost downtown these days.

Reactions: Jakev

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Would personally suggest a better location. It is a renters market, you could probably find a decent rental for a similar cost downtown these days.
Concur wholeheartedly