+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BEST PAID SURVIVAL JOBS

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I would like to know which are best paid survival jobs ,in general, so that i may start preparing myself mentally for the same. I would like to go for jobs which pay more and demand some extra working hours over the usual 40 hrs per week, in order to help both ends meet.

your invaluable inputs are eagerly awaited.

thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't looked into this recently but working in a warehouse used to be one of the better paid survival jobs. After that, maybe security guards. After that, maybe call centres. After that, maybe McDonalds or the like. Although you can take into account that a fast food place may give you a discount on meals or even free meals. If you work in a restaurant, you might also have a low base salary but you might get tips.

Any place that works shifts may enable you to work extra shifts to get more money. If you work somewhere that doesn't work shifts, you can take a 2nd job in a fast food place for evenings and weekends to make extra cash.

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
thanks a lot for the information Leon.

Just need a bit of further clarification on job responsibilites in a warehouse. is it manual loading unloading or working on computers for data entry sort of job?

could anyone share the average wages for warehouse workers ? and how much one will get in hand after taxation...... just a rough idea only.

thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
coke14 said:
Just need a bit of further clarification on job responsibilites in a warehouse. is it manual loading unloading or working on computers for data entry sort of job?
A warehouse job is a manual job (i.e. loading and unloading, etc.).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't actually know what they do exactly as I have never worked in a warehouse myself but I have known people, both men and women who have. I remember one man saying that it was not hard work where he was. They would pick out orders to go to certain stores and he said they had to stack up boxes of stuff on the truck but they were light items. In a warehouse you will have forklift drivers but not all of the people have to be able to do that. In a smaller business, they might allow anybody to drive the forklift but because they are not insured, it is a bit risky. It is pretty easy to get a forklift license and if the employer wants you to have one, they can ask you to take a course.

They would probably also need people to do the paperwork and make sure that all the items ordered ended up on the truck.

I have no idea what they make today. You can look at the job bank: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx for jobs and and to see what you have after taxes, punch in the yearly salary in this tax calculator: http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

Don't just look for warehouse though. You may end up in an area where there are not a lot of warehouses but you can find something else that is well paid. The main thing is look at ads, apply and pick something you think will be easy for you and is relatively well paid.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
I feel restaurants are good surviving jobs, like the other post said though they might be low paying you get any where from 50-200 in tips every day and not including discounted meals or free.

I have had friends work in factories though its hard work its good pay as well and it depends, some just lift boxes and some where making plastic moulds( I am not sure of the exact pay). McDonalds offers 50% discounts on food for employees and walmart offers 10% on your entire purchases. Call centres are easy to get in and offer good pay about $11 per hour and some offer commission.

my friends did a jobs at Springmaster, its a lawn moving and aeration though its all on commission its very good pay the highest may friend got was $600 a day and the lowest was $60 he worked though out the summer for 4 months. You go door to door and ask them for their lawn and some would have already called the company and set up the time so you would just go and do their lawn

Also try YMCA careers section they are very helpful, they will help you with your resume/cover letter and will find you a job.

Hope that helps

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
coke14 said:
thanks a lot for the information Leon.

could anyone share the average wages for warehouse workers ? and how much one will get in hand after taxation...... just a rough idea only.

thanks.
As a baseline, minimum wage in Toronto is 10.25 per hour, with approximately 20-25% deductions (taxes and cpp, ie)

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To get a good estimate of what will be deducted from your paycheck, use the Payroll Deductions Online Calculator: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/bsnss/pdoc-eng.html

coke14

Mar 31, 2012
I would like someone to throw some light on the prospects of being a taxi driver / cabbie.how long one has to wait for the license and other formalities before one can start driving a taxi.

and are they on salaries or commission? what is their average income........ better than a warehouse job ?

is being a taxi driver a survival job or one step further than that? ....the one to be taken after finishing the survival job tenure....

thanks in advance

Keithcjk

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
hi coke 14

You can try this website. Quite informative in the general sense. hope it helps

http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-salaries-wages-canada.html

sam pk

Dec 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2012
Leon said:
I don't actually know what they do exactly as I have never worked in a warehouse myself but I have known people, both men and women who have. I remember one man saying that it was not hard work where he was. They would pick out orders to go to certain stores and he said they had to stack up boxes of stuff on the truck but they were light items. In a warehouse you will have forklift drivers but not all of the people have to be able to do that. In a smaller business, they might allow anybody to drive the forklift but because they are not insured, it is a bit risky. It is pretty easy to get a forklift license and if the employer wants you to have one, they can ask you to take a course.

They would probably also need people to do the paperwork and make sure that all the items ordered ended up on the truck.

I have no idea what they make today. You can look at the job bank: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx for jobs and and to see what you have after taxes, punch in the yearly salary in this tax calculator: http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

Don't just look for warehouse though. You may end up in an area where there are not a lot of warehouses but you can find something else that is well paid. The main thing is look at ads, apply and pick something you think will be easy for you and is relatively well paid.
How about jobs related customer services in shipping and logistic agencies or offices have a scope in this Canada

bigpete

Mar 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2011
Nomination.....
7-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
03-04-2011
Come to Alberta and try well servicing or actually anything aroud the oil patch.
It's well paid, hence the best survival job :)

Bundoora

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2008
Doc's Request.
09-06-2009
AOR Received.
21-10-2009
IELTS Request
sent with the Documents
Med's Request
12-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-03-2012
Dear Leon ,

Could you please share your thoughts on , being a taxi driver/truck driver ! is there any way to find the average earnings of a taxi driver in Toronto.
leon , could you shed some light on child care benefits , i got two kids , one is 9 years and the other is 7 , will i be able to claim some benefits monthly as my wife will be a full time house wife.

Thanks in advance

tenek

Oct 29, 2008
Hi All,
Kindly can help us about the benefits for children 13 and 16 years, Also if their mom take care of them ,Is there any compensation for her?
Regards,

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Bundoora said:
Dear Leon ,

Could you please share your thoughts on , being a taxi driver/truck driver ! is there any way to find the average earnings of a taxi driver in Toronto.
leon , could you shed some light on child care benefits , i got two kids , one is 9 years and the other is 7 , will i be able to claim some benefits monthly as my wife will be a full time house wife.

Thanks in advance
For taxi you need to have Canadian DL for some minimum period like 2-3 years (depend upon prov)
After that you need to give Driving exam for additional category to Drive public vehicle (taxi etc)

I assume you can earn like double in taxi compare to Jobs in Macdonald or pizza hut etc.
Plus lots of people don't pay taxes on there taxi income by under declaring them.