+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best course of action for me...

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Hello, I would like to ask for your assistance for helping me out with my situation.

I am a university graduate from a reputable European university in finance.

I would like to continue my life working and living permanently in Canada as I have found that it has one of the best offerings for my aim.

I have been doing research for quite some time and have a basic grasp of different types of possibilities but there are some points that I would like to clarify.

What I am wondering is, if I have to study for 2 years in order to get on a path to PR. It can be the safest way to get 3 years PGWPP and gather 1 year experience from there to apply for PR but I do not want to waste too much time and money and be as efficient as possible.

Main part im confused about is the regional nominee programs, which has considerably less requirements than federal express entry, but where do they lead? For example, is it possible for me to attend a 9-12 month diploma program and after i find a job with my shorter PGWPP, will I be able to get on path to PR from the regional programs?

Took a bit long, but I would appreciate if you can clarify my confusion. Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want a decent chance of qualifying for PR, take at least a two year course so that you get a three year PGWP. Don't go for the one year.

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Ok thanks for the info but, what about the regional nominee programs? Where do they fit in this scheme? with one year diploma and job offer, I can apply for OINP but I dont know if that requires LMIA for me to find a job or just any skilled job when I get one year PGWPPP will do?

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Another question would be, if I do masters in an Ontario university for one year, can I apply for PR without studying for 2 years and finding a job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MapleMoose said:
Ok thanks for the info but, what about the regional nominee programs? Where do they fit in this scheme? with one year diploma and job offer, I can apply for OINP but I dont know if that requires LMIA for me to find a job or just any skilled job when I get one year PGWPPP will do?
It's not that easy to be selected under OINP - otherwise everyone with a one year diploma in Canada would now have PR.

It sounds like you need to dedicate more time to researching Canada's immigration programs to fully understand the requirements. There's really no short cut to this if you're serious about immigrating to Canada - apart from hiring an immigration consultant or lawyer to do this research on your behalf.

Good luck.

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If you want a decent chance of qualifying for PR, take at least a two year course so that you get a three year PGWP. Don't go for the one year.
2 years might be 4 semesters (3 of classes and 1 of co-op)?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
I agree with scylla above. Some of us have done 2 years course but are still stuck and cannot apply for PR yet I am in my second year of work permit. OINP is suspended till nov-dev till the 2017 quota is out so dont count on OINP its very unpredictable atleast the OINP express entry

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
I agree with scylla above. Some of us have done 2 years course but are still stuck and cannot apply for PR yet I am in my second year of work permit. OINP is suspended till nov-dev till the 2017 quota is out so dont count on OINP its very unpredictable atleast the OINP express entry
Master degree stream is suspended, but that happen every year..... International student with job offer is still open

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
lorerodri said:
Master degree stream is suspended, but that happen every year..... International student with job offer is still open
but thats like employer sponsorship very rare. Very few employers if any would sponsor finding a job is difficult and on top of that if u have to find a job with a sponsoring employer its next to impossible

lorerodri

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
but thats like employer sponsorship very rare. Very few employers if any would sponsor finding a job is difficult and on top of that if u have to find a job with a sponsoring employer its next to impossible
So in which provinces employer sponsorship is more achievable for you?

Or that's depend on the job position?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
lorerodri said:
So in which provinces employer sponsorship is more achievable for you?

Or that's depend on the job position?
employer sponsorship is not easily achievable in any province. However some provinces have a easier PNP like BC or Manitoba. I think Alberta was easy too but Alberta economy is bad right now. its not a good idea to bank on PNP as they change often and by the time u graduate rules may have changed. So best bet is do 2 years program and then get 3years PGWP which will give u sometime to figure out what to do

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Thanks for the feedbacks. Looking more deeply, I see the importance of the OPEN work permit given by PGWP. When it means open, it means that it wont be necessary to prove that they couldnt find a canadian to fill your job and you can work in any job you like. Thats why like you guys said, going for the 3 year PGWP makes the most sense, and I think the whole immigration system is setup so that you spend at least 2 years in canada as a student (2x more revenue for them i guess).

Now I plan to apply for a masters program of 2 years. Though I have a question: If the second year of my program consists only of thesis without coursework but I remain as a full time student, would that be a problem for anything? Since writing a thesis is mostly self paced and not given by the uni, having one academic year of it would make a difference for my PGWP?