+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best city in Canada for immigration (in terms of jobs)

Saif Saeed

May 13, 2019
Me and my wife have applied for the express entry visa from Pakistan, Me and my wife have the following credentials:
  • Me: Masters degree in PR & Communicating from Malaysia + Bachelors in Marketing from Pakistan
  • My Wife: Bachelors in Dentistry (BDS) From Pakistan
we both have combined work experience of around 5+ years, i wanted to know which city in Canada will be best suited for us to immigrate to in terms of job availability, ideally in our fields (knowing we don't have any work experience in Canada we are looking for something at an entry level)

Would appreciate any feedback.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/glut-of-dentists-causes-aches-in-canadas-big-cities/article36322773/ (this article is already a few years old so the situation is worse)

Getting a job as a dentist in Canada is very challenging. The best option would be to go to a smaller community and hope that you can service the surrounding communities. Meanwhile getting jobs in marketing and PR are notoriously hard to get and usually you need to get lucky and get in at an internship level. The issue is those jobs are most in larger cities. Unfortunately unless you’ve worked for a large multinational your experience may be recognized but you are likely going to start from scratch.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Me and my wife have applied for the express entry visa from Pakistan, Me and my wife have the following credentials:
  • Me: Masters degree in PR & Communicating from Malaysia + Bachelors in Marketing from Pakistan
we both have combined work experience of around 5+ years, i wanted to know which city in Canada will be best suited for us to immigrate to in terms of job availability, ideally in our fields (knowing we don't have any work experience in Canada we are looking for something at an entry level)

Getting a job as dentist is impossible here, I knew one guy who worked at Canada post location in shoppers drug mart (similar to what we have TCS, DHL shops).
He was a dentist in Pakistan with a govt job and used to work in 3 hospitals. Came to Canada, gave exams and then found out that in 1 year only 5 seats are available for residency when it comes to international candidates, worked for few years as assistant somewhere but lost hope. My cousin is also a medical doctor but doing some ultra sound course here however I heard that there isnt much hope even after that because after you go for interview they know your background is doctor and they think this person will challenge our teams skills every now and then so lets not hire him/her.

You have a marketing degree so I believe sales is your profession, unfortunately foreigners dont get jobs easily in canada and when it comes to customer facing role they are very much concerned if the person will be able to handle customers as he has no experience of canadian culture.

So to sum up its going to be pretty much disappointing, your wife might want to get enrolled in some public health courses/degrees . Queen university is online and since you are new you wont have a high income so you can always apply for OSAP to get discounts.
You might want to buy a car to start Uber/Lyft driving. Know how to get driving license in Canada, save some money , go to kijjiautos and find a car with used low mileage but newer models (buy from private seller). Dont worry, medical doctors here drive uber.

Source: Lived in Canada for 4 years.

Private message me if you want more information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would strongly discourage applying for public health. That seems to be the solution for every foreign trained health professional. There aren’t that many jobs in public health for all the masters and PhD students graduating in the field. Same thing as international development. Very popular degree but not a ton of jobs. Disagree that an ultrasound tech won’t get hired if they were a physician. Lots of IMGs who have become radiology techs, ultrasound techs, nurses, etc. Many are working. You do have to be prepared not to be bitter and do the job you are there to do as a tech. The difficulty getting licensed as an IMG is well-documented so when physicians choose to immigrate to Canada they have to be happy not practicing. I think you are also confusing the dentistry and doctor relicensing program doctors compete for whatever residency spots go unmatched with unmatched Canadian students. This year it is around 50 which are majority family medicine. There are likely at least 1500 IMGs trying to get licensed in Canada.

shruti_13

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019

Based on the stats, here are the top 10 best cities in Canada to find a job:
Guelph, Ont.
Regina, Sask.
Quebec City, QC
Moncton, NB
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton, AB
Toronto, Ont.
Kingston, Ont.
London, Ont.
Winnipeg, MB.

Saiba

Oct 3, 2020

How many points did you get from your wife’s ECA?? Did you use WES for that??

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on the stats, here are the top 10 best cities in Canada to find a job:
Guelph, Ont.
Regina, Sask.
Quebec City, QC
Moncton, NB
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton, AB
Toronto, Ont.
Kingston, Ont.
London, Ont.
Winnipeg, MB.
Quebec city - French is a must. Without it, forget about this one.
Edmonton - Alberta has still oil problem, so jobs are rather hard to come by.
Kingston - rather small and too far away from anywhere reasonable (like Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto area).
London - does not have have many big employers. The market consist most of smaller companies, and the job market is rather slow. This is also not very suitable for any serious sales (none of those bigger ones has headquarters or important offices there). Dental market is already properly saturated.
Moncton - New Brunswick is bilingual. And while some professions can escape it, sales in particular and B2C services (like dentistry) will not escape it. Lack of French will be limiting.

Toronto and especially Vancouver - be ready for high starting costs and fierce competition. If you have an advantage (like you have a specific desired skill that not many have), then yes. otherwise, get ready for very slow ascending slope in the beginning.

Winnipeg and Regina - get ready for very cold winters (than again people from northern provinces and territories would argue that it is not yet that cold). Get also ready for folk that might request in province work experience (also indirectly).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quebec city - French is a must. Without it, forget about this one.
Edmonton - Alberta has still oil problem, so jobs are rather hard to come by.
Kingston - rather small and too far away from anywhere reasonable (like Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto area).
London - does not have have many big employers. The market consist most of smaller companies, and the job market is rather slow. This is also not very suitable for any serious sales (none of those bigger ones has headquarters or important offices there). Dental market is already properly saturated.
Moncton - New Brunswick is bilingual. And while some professions can escape it, sales in particular and B2C services (like dentistry) will not escape it. Lack of French will be limiting.

Toronto and especially Vancouver - be ready for high starting costs and fierce competition. If you have an advantage (like you have a specific desired skill that not many have), then yes. otherwise, get ready for very slow ascending slope in the beginning.

Winnipeg and Regina - get ready for very cold winters (than again people from northern provinces and territories would argue that it is not yet that cold). Get also ready for folk that might request in province work experience (also indirectly).
You are replying to a pretty old post. Toronto and Vancouver have surpluses of dentists in case future readers look at the post.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are replying to a pretty old post. Toronto and Vancouver have surpluses of dentists in case future readers look at the post.
I see, somebody did revive post from 2019. However it is still not that old, so French language was already issue back then and same for Alberta (their oil crisis happened before 2019).
And where things were slow before, now they are even worse.
Equaly, surplus of dentist was here before 2020.