+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best bank for a newcomer

TahitiDamz

Jun 7, 2017
Hello guys,

my wife and I are moving to Toronto in the next couple of months.

I would like to have some feedback concerning your expériences with the main banks present in Toronto please? Mainly regarding Scotia Bank.

Why? Because my current french bank got a partnership with scotia bank. I can withdraw money from scotia bank ATM without additional fees. But all international money transfert between the banks will cost 15CAD.

What do you think?

Do you have a better tip for me?

Thx

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hello guys,

my wife and I are moving to Toronto in the next couple of months.

I would like to have some feedback concerning your expériences with the main banks present in Toronto please? Mainly regarding Scotia Bank.

Why? Because my current french bank got a partnership with scotia bank. I can withdraw money from scotia bank ATM without additional fees. But all international money transfert between the banks will cost 15CAD.

What do you think?

Do you have a better tip for me?

Thx
So even without opening an account with them you can withdraw from your current bank right? So this should have zero effect as to your decision to open with Scotia bank or not.

All the Big 4 have special packages for newcomers with perks including 6 months/12 months free banking, your first credit card etc. So you should be fine with either one of them. Personally I plan to open with BMO and TD once I land in Toronto

TahitiDamz

Jun 7, 2017
So even without opening an account with them you can withdraw from your current bank right? So this should have zero effect as to your decision to open with Scotia bank or not.

All the Big 4 have special packages for newcomers with perks including 6 months/12 months free banking, your first credit card etc. So you should be fine with either one of them. Personally I plan to open with BMO and TD once I land in Toronto
Thank you BC4Life.

Yeah you're right without opening an account with them I can withdraw from my current bank account.

I gonna check that, but if any of you had bad expériences with of these banks don't hesitate ;)

Thx

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
All the big banks here are rather mediocre. Services are also limited in Canada compared to other countries I have lived in. Expect your dealings with any bank to be somewhat frustrating.

Good luck

Reactions: TahitiDamz

TahitiDamz

Jun 7, 2017
All the big banks here are rather mediocre. Services are also limited in Canada compared to other countries I have lived in. Expect your dealings with any bank to be somewhat frustrating.

Good luck
Hahah ok that's not particurlarly encouraging :) :) :)

pinkie29

Jan 14, 2017
Hi guys,

I thought to get a demand draft of around 10k CAD from uae exchange. Is it acceptable there in Canada

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
My best suggestion when you arrive is to just pick the bank that on first glance offers the best foreigner package. Banks have started realising that the immigrant market is the only growth market in Canada so they have started competing a little more. Chance are you will end up being dissatisfied. Once you have been here for a while you will be able to get a clearer sense of which is the best bank for you.

Good luck

cxiaaaaa

Jun 28, 2017
I did research and compare the newcomer packages offered by 5 major Canadian banks. Finally, i choose to bank with BMO. BMO offers provides "true" free banking to newcomer for 1 year. It is not required to keep a specific amount of maintain with unlimited transactions, unlimited free e-transfers from this plan. Plus, you can use a small safety deposit box for free 1 year. This is pretty useful that you can store your valuables securely.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
No such thing as true free banking. lol. They will get you with something, sometime. Also the safety deposit box is usually subject to availability. I have not been able to get one. Not available.

cxiaaaaa

Jun 28, 2017
No such thing as true free banking. lol. They will get you with something, sometime. Also the safety deposit box is usually subject to availability. I have not been able to get one. Not available.
Yes better check the availability. Luckily I can have one when i opened the newcomer account in BMO ;)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
There are a couple of 'free' banks, but not much branches. Check out PC Banking(owned by CIBC), and Tangerine(owned by Scotiabank).
They don't charge monthly fees for clients. Big banks charge per month.

Also there are credit unions which can offer accounts without service charges in most areas.

Pretty much all banks other than TD give a newcomers package for 1 yr. Then they start charging.
Get a basic credit card and try to build credit history/score as soon as possible

Reactions: Abhik897