+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Benefits refugees can take before brown id

Aliya_izat

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
When,and if they send me something I will update you, I believe that this will take much longer than we expected. I don’t know why I think this country needs to have huge changes and ppl are sick from all what’s happening at the moment. Stay well!
Totally agree with you. There’s a lot going on and now strikes etc. hope it will all pass soon and praying the same. I’m happy at least you share the same status of “data entry” otherwise i was much confused. For now, I will apply for SIN then to find a job to at least earn some income for lawyer’s fee etc. I am short in words to express how thankful I am for your support and i will keep you posted if for anything new comes up in my case. Stay safe

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depends from which country you are coming, Canada has agreement with several countries. Anyway whichever country is, you need your driving license + confirmation of passed categories from your home country (and the day you passed your driver's license) - from that depends which tests you have to do and which category you can get after knowledge and driving tests. For health insurance - you already have IFHP as my social worker said me I have right to go in every walk in clinic and to be checked like every regular person - no matter do they accept new patients or not, but I recommend truly to check on site which clinics accept new patients and can be covered by IFHP. I truly want to settle finally somewhere so for me the best option is to find a doctor who will continue to assist me and when I get that province health insurance. I am located in Ontario, so I am still not eligible for OHIP until I don’t get that brown paper. After you get the brown paper, you can apply for province insurance in which you reside. you are welcome, we are here to assist each other

There are some inaccuracies. You don’t have the right to walk into every clinic. They have to accept IFHP. Not all clinics and physicians accept IFHP. The list of participating programs are listed online. The doctor also has to be taking on new patients. Many doctors are not accepting new patient IFHP
or OHIP. You don’t qualify for OHIP after brown paper. You are covered under IFHP as an asylum claimant and actually receive better coverage than OHIP patients.

SRB30

Mar 13, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22/12/2022
Med's Request
03/01/2023
Med's Done....
07/01/2023
Interview........
17/02/2023
Passport Req..
17/02/2023
LANDED..........
29/09/2022
There are some inaccuracies. You don’t have the right to walk into every clinic. They have to accept IFHP. Not all clinics and physicians accept IFHP. The list of participating programs are listed online. The doctor also has to be taking on new patients. Many doctors are not accepting new patient IFHP
or OHIP. You don’t qualify for OHIP after brown paper. You are covered under IFHP as an asylum claimant and actually receive better coverage than OHIP patients.
Totally agree with you. There’s a lot going on and now strikes etc. hope it will all pass soon and praying the same. I’m happy at least you share the same status of “data entry” otherwise i was much confused. For now, I will apply for SIN then to find a job to at least earn some income for lawyer’s fee etc. I am short in words to express how thankful I am for your support and i will keep you posted if for anything new comes up in my case. Stay safe
Did you try to apply for Legal Aid, it’s free to get a lawyer? Because you said already that you don’t have a job.

SRB30

Mar 13, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22/12/2022
Med's Request
03/01/2023
Med's Done....
07/01/2023
Interview........
17/02/2023
Passport Req..
17/02/2023
LANDED..........
29/09/2022
Like I said my social worker stated that I have right to be accepted in every walk in clinic if I need some kind of urgency( under urgency she meant on check up, special diet, breastfeeding diet etc). She advised me to go to the closest clinic and ask for medical help, if I need it and I need some small checks which shortly I explained to her so after she checked with her colleagues, she gave me the best advice.
She stated that in 99% they will give you the doctor - family physician if you don’t have it already, and in my case I don’t have.
I found a clinic for my daughter, first they said that they don’t support IFHP coverage, on the end of the appointment they stated that will figure it out with the insurance and they accepted to cure her, so she has now her paediatrician.
She has a doctor and even if clinic is not listed on IFHP provider’s list.
Social worker also said when I get the brown paper I have to scan, send to her and she will apply for me to get OHIP, so if I am lying, she is lying too.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My sister works for Legal Aid. I asked her once how they determine if they’ll agree to accept an asylum / refugee clients . She said it’s all based upon credibility, facts presented . They have such limited resources that they are EXTREMELY diligent in weeding out cases that have a high chance of failure and why invest their limited resources . One example she says was someone presented a case with photos . They did a google search on the photos , and the photos used were stock photos from online. Case subsequently was rejected for representation due to misrepresentation and of the facts . She said they are so busy , overloaded with limited resources ( they are funded by the province) that if there’s any misrepresentation or a likely chance they won’t succeed , they’ll decline the person. People may assume that legal aid is only representing asylum seekers , they are representing a WIDE catchment of clients accused of minor to major crimes.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My sister works for Legal Aid. I asked her once how they determine if they’ll agree to accept an asylum / refugee clients . She said it’s all based upon credibility, facts presented . They have such limited resources that they are EXTREMELY diligent in weeding out cases that have a high chance of failure and why invest their limited resources . One example she says was someone presented a case with photos . They did a google search on the photos , and the photos used were stock photos from online. Case subsequently was rejected for representation due to misrepresentation and of the facts . She said they are so busy , overloaded with limited resources ( they are funded by the province) that if there’s any misrepresentation or a likely chance they won’t succeed , they’ll decline the person. People may assume that legal aid is only representing asylum seekers , they are representing a WIDE catchment of clients accused of minor to major crimes.
Ability to fund a private lawyer also has a significant impact. As you specified there are limited funds so depending on the time period some provinces will only fund initial claims if you don’t have access to funds. Sometime they may take on certain appeals they feel very strongly about but due to demand they usually can’t represent people throughout their whole journey to remain in Canada if that involves multiple attempts. The demand for services is probably the highest it has been in a very long time at the moment.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I agree with this. They rejected funding for applicant who reached out to me citing credibility, and unfortunately in their reply letter they wrote low chance to positive decision. that was the mistake. We wrote letter for supervisory administrative review based on the fact that they went way too far to make determination on behalf of IRB Decision maker in their assessment and that eventually she will get negative decision. they call immediately and approve funding...But yes, they review credibility before funding and I guess because of limited funding.

SRB30

Mar 13, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22/12/2022
Med's Request
03/01/2023
Med's Done....
07/01/2023
Interview........
17/02/2023
Passport Req..
17/02/2023
LANDED..........
29/09/2022
Nothing yet, I’ve just received an email by them for the form which I’ve submitted in January for my daughter. No changes related for my case.
Just to inform you, I’ve had a second eligibility interview today and both, me and my daughter got Protected Document.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Like I said my social worker stated that I have right to be accepted in every walk in clinic if I need some kind of urgency( under urgency she meant on check up, special diet, breastfeeding diet etc). She advised me to go to the closest clinic and ask for medical help, if I need it and I need some small checks which shortly I explained to her so after she checked with her colleagues, she gave me the best advice.
She stated that in 99% they will give you the doctor - family physician if you don’t have it already, and in my case I don’t have.
I found a clinic for my daughter, first they said that they don’t support IFHP coverage, on the end of the appointment they stated that will figure it out with the insurance and they accepted to cure her, so she has now her paediatrician.
She has a doctor and even if clinic is not listed on IFHP provider’s list.
Social worker also said when I get the brown paper I have to scan, send to her and she will apply for me to get OHIP, so if I am lying, she is lying too.
Walk-in clinics are not emergency rooms so your social worker isn’t correct or you misunderstood what she said. She likely said that you have the right to be seen at any hospital if you have an emergency medical situation. Not all walk-in clinics are covered by IFHP. All emergency rooms are covered by IFHP. Walk-in clinics are often GP practices that take people first come first serve or allow you to book an appointment but don’t keep a patients as their permanent GP. It isn’t an emergency clinic Things like dietary advice, check-ups, vaccinations, etc. are also not considered urgent services. There are a few walk-in clinics affiliated with hospitals that see emergencies that are not serious enough to require the emergency room so they may accept all emergencies but you couldn’t get a check-up in these walk-in emergency clinics run by hospitals. A “walking wounded” clinic may have been established by the hospital to see people who otherwise would have been in the ER. They would see acute medical issues like small cuts that need glue or a few stitches, sprained joints, UTIs (in provinces where pharmacies can’t treat them), concern about viral or bacterial illness if people felt they couldn’t wait until they could see their GP or just needed reassurance about how to treat the condition and verify that there wasn’t anything more serious, etc.

The paediatrician may have decided to accept IFHP once you insisted that they accept your daughter as a patient. That is their personal prerogative and they can decide to accept your daughter with IFHP and as a new patient if they want to but also could have refused to take her on as a patient and a new patient with IFHP. Taking on IFHP patients requires more administration time and wait times to be reimbursed by the federal government. Most do not want to take on the extra work because it will cost them even more money to bill both IFHP and provincial healthcare recipients. Most clinic will either accept a lot of IFHP patients or none because otherwise it doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of time setting up billing for IFHP and becoming familiar with the program and what is covered. You will not qualify for OHIP until your are approved as a protected person. Once people have their NOD hard copy and other required documents they go to service Ontario and sign up for OHIP. You have better coverage under IFHP so not sure why you are anxious to switch to OHIP.

Last edited: