+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

benefits for international students

Reet568

Nov 9, 2018
hi i came here in last september i am studying , but now I have got official break , i have to earn money to pay my fees but I am unable to find any work can anyone please help me or I live in Brampton , Can any one tell me is am able to get any kind covid benefits which government is providing Like from last work I completed my 416 hours ....is there any benefit for me ....I also have to save my GIC for my fees ..So please??????

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi i came here in last september i am studying , but now I have got official break , i have to earn money to pay my fees but I am unable to find any work can anyone please help me or I live in Brampton , Can any one tell me is am able to get any kind covid benefits which government is providing Like from last work I completed my 416 hours ....is there any benefit for me ....I also have to save my GIC for my fees ..So please??????
Unfortunately there are really no benefits for those here on study permits. If you have come here on a study permit, it's expected that you have enough money available on your own to fund your tuition and living expenses without any support from Canada.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

Go down to the questions & answers in
the link

“Can you receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you are not a citizen or permanent resident?

To be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.

Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.”

Pay attention to the wording , “ MAY”, be eligible, doesn’t mean it’s automatic approval
....and the $5000 in income still applies
And I’m confused have you lost your job , because of Covid, because that is what this benefit is SPECIFICALLY is for, it isn’t for individuals who haven’t been able to find a job

Last edited:

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
Hi!

I am an international student. I have worked through 2019 until March 20. I got laid off because the store had to close due to Covid-19. As I have read from the requirements, I am eligible. Since I've been unemployed for 14 days by April 6th, and I have earned more than 5000$. But is this guaranteed? Would they actually approve the application even though I am not a citizen/PR? It seems kind of unreal for them to give us money. But I am hoping they would as I am in need of money to pay rent and bills. I also have a job interview today, but I'm kind of afraid to go out because of this pandemic. I would rather get the CERB to continue social distancing and flattening the curve. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am an international student. I have worked through 2019 until March 20. I got laid off because the store had to close due to Covid-19. As I have read from the requirements, I am eligible. Since I've been unemployed for 14 days by April 6th, and I have earned more than 5000$. But is this guaranteed? Would they actually approve the application even though I am not a citizen/PR? It seems kind of unreal for them to give us money. But I am hoping they would as I am in need of money to pay rent and bills. I also have a job interview today, but I'm kind of afraid to go out because of this pandemic. I would rather get the CERB to continue social distancing and flattening the curve. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
It's not guaranteed at this point and you will need to wait until the full rules are available. We don't know at this time if this benefit will be made available to students who are still studying or only those on a PGWP.

If you qualify, you should expect it may take some time to get this money since it's a safe assumption there will be a flood of people applying.

So short answer is that nothing is certain right now.

Reactions: rehana08

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi!

Thank you.
From the link, if the benefit is only for PR Citizens

“Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.”

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
From the link, if the benefit is only for PR Citizens

“Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.”
In my understanding, we (international students) "may" be eligible as long as I meet the other requirements which I think I do. Am I right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is still not a lot of money and there will be delays receiving it so would encourage you to go to the job interview if you are young, healthy and not around elderly people. You will have to look at the conditions of the job, your budget, etc. and make some tough decisions,

Reactions: rehana08

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
It is still not a lot of money and there will be delays receiving it so would encourage you to go to the job interview if you are young, healthy and not around elderly people. You will have to look at the conditions of the job, your budget, etc. and make some tough decisions,
Thank you for all the replies. It's probably best for me to just go get a job.

Have a good day!