+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being asked to provide Apostille Birth Cert. and FBI Check

kewlbum

Oct 30, 2017
Hi all,

Just got a co-orespondence on Thursday titled "Your application has been transferred" and the exact wording is this:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to
continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

- Original birth certificate with an apostile. Please refer to the following website for
instructions. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legalconsiderations/
judicial/authentication-of-documents.html

- FBI certificate with an apostile. Please refer to the following website for instructions.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/judicial/authentication-ofdocuments.
html

- Original passport. If your passport has to be returned to Canada, please provide a self-stamped envelope. If it has to be returned to the USA address no self stamped envelope required.

- Verification of your Bachelor’s Degree from [my college] at www.degreeverify.org and provide the results to us.

Apparently my application is in the Canadian Consulate of Los Angeles now...?

Anyways, my question is, why is CIC asking for an apostilled document? I've done my research and see that Canada doesn't even recognize the act of "apostilling" documents (as it is a Non-Hague country). Also, I am applying as single non-married (I've heard you need to provide Birth Certificates if you are applying with a spouse or anything but that is not the case with me. I've double/triple checked my application as well to confirm)

Should I just get the documents apostilled and sent in, as requested? Or should I go and get them "authenticated" for use in a non-hague country? Has anyone encountered this, and what did you do?

Many thanks!

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
hmm, interesting development - not sure if this requirement by CIC it country specific though

I legalized both certificates above from my country (same procedure as an apostile, but not an apostile in itself), but didn't scan the page with seal though .... lets see if they would ask for it now, my status is still NA2 now. In what status was your application?

Last edited:

kewlbum

Oct 30, 2017
hmm, interesting development - not sure if this requirement by CIC it country specific though

I legalized both certificates above from my country (same procedure as an apostile, but not an apostile in itself), but didn't scan the page with seal though .... lets see if they would ask for it now, my status is still NA2 now. In what status was your application?
I believe I was in NA2. It seems odd that my passport is being requested along with all of this. Maybe it’s some kind of hybrid PPR?

I just decided to go and “authenticate my documents for legal use in Canada”. Sent the documents out to an LLC in the state I was born to handle the whole process for me (at a hefty cost...).

Here’s hoping for the best for both of us! If anyone has come across this before please let me know if you apostilled or authenticated your docs, and if either were accepted by the CIC officer on your case.

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018

Mund te me thuash si eshte procedura e legalizimit te certifikates se lindjes dhe deshmise se penalitetit? E njejta procedure me diplomen?