+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

being a refugee. Refugee rights

Dingling

Oct 23, 2017
first i would like to say thanks VIP members and those are here all the time to help people finding their answers :)..

my questions are
1) Can someone do white-color job while having refugee status (of course after being qualified for that job) or he only will be able to do odd jobs until PR or citizenship.
2) Can refugees work in any job sector without restriction?
3) How many hours per week allowed from government to work for a refugee ?
4) Does refugee status make any effect on your pay rate/salary/wage ?
5) what is the behavior of Canadians towards refugees ? i mean like they easily accept refugees?
6) what extra privileges you can ask from government ?
7) does someone help their for finding work or regarding your financial you are on your own.

(sorry for any language mistakes)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
1) If you are qualified and your training/skills are recognized (i.e. Doctor/Nurse/Engineer, etc) and have a valid work permit or status, there is nothing to stop you doing any job (see 2 for exceptions).
2) You won't be able to apply for certain government jobs. Certain professionals need to have their qualifications and education confirmed and additional training to return to their previous profession)
3) Same as everyone else
4)No advantage/No disadvantage
5) Same as most places. Most people don't care as long as you are integrating into society. Some people are just Ignorant.
6) No extra privilege's. You can probably get ESL classes to a certain level at no cost, but nothing beyond what a Canadian Citizen or PR would get.
7) There are associations that will help you prepare and search for work, but no one is going to "give" you a job. It's a free market. you might be eligible for welfare if you have no money, but that's generally only enough to give you a place to live. The onus is on you to integrate and get a job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingling

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
1) There are no "white coloured' jobs.....just jobs.
Pretty sure he was indicating "white collar" jobs, i.e. office jobs.

The only real difficulty of applying to jobs before you have secured PR status, is that a potential employer may see you as a temporary worker and may be more reluctant to hire since there's a chance you might not get PR status and be forced to leave later on. Another reality is that Canadian employers tend to like previous Canadian education/experience better than foreign experience, but really this varies by type of job and industry.
With a valid work permit you should be applying for any job you think you're qualified for.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Pretty sure he was indicating "white collar" jobs, i.e. office jobs.
+1 for Reading between the lines. Totally missed that......edited

Agree with the above that some employers may view you as temporary until your status is confirmed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to apply for a work permit after you have applied for asylum in Canada. Employers are reluctant to hire people before they know the have been accepted as asylum seekers because you may not be able to stay.