+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been living in Canada for 10+ years, still a student

WalterD

May 16, 2015
mattaz said:
Have a hope. Also I wanted to tell you that you can renew the military services until age of 27 so you've got little bit of time.
(If you like I can tell you more information on this)

My visa will be expires soon and need to find someway extend the visa to stay in Canada. And I can't stay in South Korea for no more than 2 months because if i do, they can put me into army. I can still can extend the military service one more year and that's it for me... so I hope I get the invitation by this year so I can get the PR next year. (The timeline is very tight for me... :()

Let me know how it goes.

Wish you all the best and luck!
Hi, Sorry for the VERY VERY late reply...
I know it has almost been how many years, two years?

So far, I've graduated school in April of last year.
Well... That's great... except I have yet to find a skilled job for almost a year now.
I don't think there's any hope for me anymore.

My passport now expires at DECEMBER of this year.
I have months of unqualifying part time work here and there to support myself, while searching for NOC jobs. I have gotten a few interviews here and there, but no real employment of NOC satisfying job.

I would like to ask, how do you extend past age 27? I'm turning 25 now... I'm getting old as hell...

I have personally wrote about 200 different cover letters to various tech companies, hospitals, and other pretty much "TECHNICIAN" title on them to meet the NOC B.

Over christmas, I have sent out even hand written Christmas cards with my resume and cover letter enclosed in it in hopes that they would reply.
I have personally visited, bothered them, called them, I've tried many techniques.
Obviously some employers don't like to be bothered, but I don't have time to sit and wait in leisure for their response, especially in recent times.

I can't believe just how hard it is to find such an NOC related work in Canada.
I've even applied to Saskatchewan way far up north in hopes that anyone would hire me.
As of now, I'm beginning to show signs of depression and feeling maybe I am so worthless that no one wants to even bother with me.

Why do I deserve to be kicked out of here? I lived a good life here. I never got in trouble once with the law, I never even gotten a speeding or parking ticket.

Sorry about the rant... I wrote about a whole page and just snipped it, It helps me calm down.

Thanks for anyone that tried to help or gave your thoughts.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
You couldn't have become a retail supervisor? A cook? These are all skilled noc codes.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
You may have to apply for a position and try and obtain an lmia. Even a supervisor in McDonalds.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kryt0n said:
You may have to apply for a position and try and obtain an lmia. Even a supervisor in McDonald's.
You can only go with fast-food supervisor if you know the owner of that store, usually a former immigrant as well. But why would a university-educated international student has to compete for a job that mostly done by high schoolers?

OP, you keep whining and complaining about your situation a lot. Do you think you are not employed because your technical skills are not that good? even worse than someone that " fresh off the boat who can barely speak English"? You even have your aunt and cousins here in Canada to help you somewhat. Most international students from developing countries don't have that luxury thing, and we had to work our asses off to support ourselves through school.

Go back to your country, be more mature, find a real job to get some real experience, than you can reapply as FSW or PNP.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Agreed. I was merely offering lmia as a last resort, as my Australian Dr best friend did to get her PR (2 years at Tim Horton's).

jazzyapd

Star Member
Jan 20, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check out this post with links that have info about the new Atlantic Pilot Program. May or may not offer a solution for you. Good luck.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ministerial-instructions-processing-of-applications-under-the-atlantic-pilot-t477754.0.html

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
WalterD said:
I'm turning 25 now... I'm getting old as hell...
Ouchies.

Alexios07 said:
Go back to your country, be more mature, find a real job to get some real experience, than you can reapply as FSW or PNP.
Think he's specifically trying to avoid conscription, which will happen if he goes back to South Korea. That'll shave off two years of being a skilled worker. I can't blame him for trying what he did.

nikhil1308

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Hi, I'm glad to find someone who's in my shoes finally. :)

I am also a South Korean living in Canada since 2001. I also went to elementary through university here and I have been working in a small company for a year now on PGWP (NOC B). I am here all by myself- no relatives, no immediate family. I also do not plan to go back to Korea because I feel like I've become acculturated to Canada so much and I just don't think I will be able to adapt the Korean work/life style anymore. (do you know what i mean?) The only difference from your situation to mine is that I don't have to deal with the mandatory military service because I'm a female.

the only thing that I can think of right now that will help your situation is finding a company that will provide you a LMIA after your graduation. I know getting a LMIA is not easy but i think you can at least postpone your mandatory military service if you get the LMIA.

I've looked into the CIC website many many times and spoke to several people but it seems like the number of years lived in Canada does not increase the chance of getting a PR (i.e., it does not affect EE CRS at all). This frustrates me because I've lived + been educated in Canada more than half of my life here and yet I am still a "foreigner" - whereas someone who doesn't even speak a word of English/French is often a PR or a Canadian citizen. I think I deserve at least a few points on the scoring system but the CIC considers someone who's got more work experience + more degrees OUTSIDE CANADA more potential to be successful in Canada than somebody who actually spent more than half of his/her life IN CANADA.

sorry i couldn't be much of help but hopefully someone else can help you with your situation. :(
good luck with your studies.

People who come here as foreigners/international students only need one year of job in relevant field of education plus a good IELTS score. If they cant get a good score, they try through other routes like PNP which is time consuming but attainable. I can only suggest both of you to apply for work permit after graduation and ifnd a job in your field of study. Match the NOC and apply express entry. I am sure IELTs wont be a big deal for you.